How do I spell the arsenals

Mosin Information Pages, Video's on setting firing pin protrusion, how to check headspace, the Mosin bolt,
MosinWiki, How to's on cleaning your Mosin, shooting too hight? and much more.
SA1911a1

Re: How do I spell the arsenals

Post by SA1911a1 »

I will only learn to spell steystroeskeskve when I own one. :D
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I hear Soviet prisons are very nice this time of year........
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

They have this fancy forum that does it for you Steve. Just type in the short for it. Sestroryetsk :thumbsup: I typed in (s.e.s.t.y.)
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Roman1976

Post by Roman1976 »

Izhevsk - Ижевск . Тula - Тула , Sestroyetsk -Сестроетск . Here is translation of some Russian letters which you can find on Mosins ( П-P , Р-R , C-S , Г-G ,У-U ,Н-N, М-М,О-O)
1939 Ижевск 91/30 (round receiver)
1944 Ижевск 91/30 (hex receiver)
Simo

Post by Simo »

entropy wrote:Lessse...Redstone, Anniston, Picatinny, Enfield, St.Eitenne, Santa Barbera, Chatellerault, Springfield, Ishapore, Izhevsk, Radom, Tula, Kraguejevic, BRNO, Uhersky Brod, Nagoya, et. al. ....
Fazakerley, Birmingham small arms, Maltby Long Branch, Savage, Stevens No.4s anyone hehe
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." -Declaration of Independence
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Simo wrote:
entropy wrote:Lessse...Redstone, Anniston, Picatinny, Enfield, St.Eitenne, Santa Barbera, Chatellerault, Springfield, Ishapore, Izhevsk, Radom, Tula, Kraguejevic, BRNO, Uhersky Brod, Nagoya, et. al. ....
Fazakerley, Birmingham small arms, Maltby Long Branch, Savage, Stevens No.4s anyone hehe
If you are giving them away then I will take them :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Simo

Post by Simo »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
Simo wrote:
If you are giving them away then I will take them :)
Too late, they're all gone :b sad:
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." -Declaration of Independence
Geek

Post by Geek »

The Cyrillic alphabet is entirely phonetic. Unfortunately, some of the sounds do not have exact equivalents in English, and English is not entirely phonetic, so translations can vary. Don't get hung up on it.
Simo

Post by Simo »

Geek wrote:The Cyrillic alphabet is entirely phonetic. Unfortunately, some of the sounds do not have exact equivalents in English, and English is not entirely phonetic, so translations can vary. Don't get hung up on it.
same with Iroquoian, most of their language can not be translated into english my great grandmother was forced to learn french and English as a child and the german and boonie irish(mix of Gaelic and english) after being married.

When my great grandfather(Irish/german) would get drunk and beat her she would call him a "Kenraken Erhar" which is Mohawk for white dog :chuckles:
Whammytap

Post by Whammytap »

Hahaha, I listened to the pronunciation guide for Izhevsk thrice to try to learn how to say it, and upon realizing I couldn't make those sounds, thrice more just because Russian sounds so sexy. I'm not even sure I want to learn Russian, because the sounds of it are so nice without understanding the syntax.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I don't know much Russian, and the only German I know are a few swear words. Funny how we always learn that part of the language first. Like the Polish guy who comes in here selling up scrap, speaks maybe three words of English, and we heard them all last month when a Guatemalan guy who speaks even less English than he does backed his little Honda into the side of the guys Ford Windstar. Shit, mother******' c*******er, he said it with such clarity and feeling that we all did a double take, and when he went charging out the door I laughed until I had to sit down. It was a riot listening to them scream at each other in Polish and Spanish
Theodore Roosevelt
mrb7

Post by mrb7 »

Whammytap wrote:...thrice more just because Russian sounds so sexy...
Don't bother sharing anything about Ivan.
"The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:shock:
Theodore Roosevelt
Whammytap

Post by Whammytap »

Oh dear, have I committed a faux pas? If so, I apologize. I just meant that I enjoy the sounds of other languages, whether or not I understand the content. The Russian language has always fascinated me because the sounds are so different, and so difficult for an American vocal apparatus to produce. I couldn't say "Izhevsk" to save my life.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

None of us except the real Russians can pronounce it :) At least not properly. I had a real Russian teach me, and he said I sound like an American trying to say it. Nothing to appologize about :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Whammytap

Post by Whammytap »

Hahaha! Yes, it seems that accents are nigh impossible to lose, although I have met a couple people who have managed to do it--and to me, it's a pity. I've heard tell that Germans think girls with American accents are cute-sounding, so I'd have that in my favor if I ever visited. I wonder what Russians think of American accents, if they think it's funny to hear us try or if it's merely annoying. At any rate, I'll shut up on this subject, which is rapidly veering off-topic.

Interestingly, the idea that curse words are among the first to be learned in a foreign language is accepted and noted in anthropology. I read a story about an anthropologist who had begun living among a Papua New Guinean tribe and was trying to learn to fit in as best he could. Exchanging curse words was the biggest ice-breaker! For several days after, he observed tribesmen jumping out from hiding places at each other and yelling, "Fook!" :chuckles:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's always important to learn as many curse words in the other guys language as fast as possible so you can know by picking out the words from unfamiliar conversation directed at you if you are being insulted . Then you can use your new found vocabulary to return the favor :)
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I took spanish in highschool and i learned the cuss words from the foreign exchange students. I taught them ours. The one they didn't understand, although not really a cuss word, was son of a gun. They would say it like " Son of rifley????? I no comprendo.. :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Son of a gun? Even around here 40 years ago, even 50 that wasn't a cuss word, now if you mean Son of a B....what? What do you mean watch my language? Who the f...What do you mean I can't say that either? Shut up and go ( censured) and then ( censured), you stupid ( censured) before I break my foot off in your ( very censured) ( censured) and ( censored)
Theodore Roosevelt