Cleaning your rifle initially and after shooting!

Mosin Information Pages, Video's on setting firing pin protrusion, how to check headspace, the Mosin bolt,
MosinWiki, How to's on cleaning your Mosin, shooting too hight? and much more.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Cleaning your rifle after shooting!

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Old Hoppes was formulated for corrosive primers, new Hoppes is not, corrosive primers simply do not exist in the world of commercial new ammo, and haven't for 60 or more years. The Wolf is probably non corrosive....probably.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steve8261948

Post by steve8261948 »

Didn't I just say that?
Steve
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

steve8261948 wrote:Didn't I just say that?
Steve
Quite possibly Steve, my memory and vision are not what they used to be and I might have overlooked it, in any event, now it's said twice. I don't want new guys thinking they can clean up their corrosive ammo fired Mosins with nothing but Hoppes, so this is a point we should make over and over whenever one of these "how do I clean it" threads comes up .
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

First off I DON'T use corrosive anything in any of my guns. This is the 21st century and there is no reason to use 19th century ammo in these guns. Yeah, I know corrosive ammo is cheaper. But I simply won't take the risk of using it. But that's just me :)
I also NEVER pour water in any of my guns. Never had the need to do so and never had a corrosion problem. I have been using Hoppe's #9 most of my life (I'm an old fart at age 63) and it has worked pretty well. Recently I bought a Mosin that had a horrendous bore. Just filthy. Hoppe's didn't seem to do squat to it no matter how long I let it sit. So I gave Butch's Bore Shine a try. WOW!!! The crud that came out of the barrel was simply amazing! Unfortunately, Butch's smells even worse than Hoppes and it has some of the most caustic chemicals you can find all crammed into one bottle. Definitely have to use it outdoors. Butch's will also clean out the copper fouling that Hoppe's doesn't seem to get. Just remember to oil the barrel as Butch's takes out EVERYTHING in the bore. And make sure you don't get Butch's on the finish. The "dip blue" or whatever the coating the Russkies put on the Mosins comes off real quick with Butch's.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Water is only needed to wash out salts, if you never shoot black powder or corrisive primed ammunition you do not need water and Hoppes will work fine. JB Bore paste works well also, on the filthy bores . Pick up some of the surplus ammo while you can, you don't need to shoot it, it's just a nice acsessory to have, just like the cleaning kit and bayonet.
Theodore Roosevelt
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Water is only needed to wash out salts, if you never shoot black powder or corrisive primed ammunition you do not need water and Hoppes will work fine. JB Bore paste works well also, on the filthy bores . Pick up some of the surplus ammo while you can, you don't need to shoot it, it's just a nice acsessory to have, just like the cleaning kit and bayonet.
Heh...I don't have the luxury of buying display ammo. :D I will pick up some JB bore paste, though. Heard a lot of good stuff about that. :thumbsup:
I would also like to pick up some of the steel clips the milsurp ammo was loaded on. I have seen cheap, Chinese clips for sale on Amazon and the feedback on their performance is terrible. I need the original steel clips.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

With all the guys shooting the surplus ammo that comes on the clip ( Izhevsk) many of them are selling the extra clips on ebay, and GB, if you ask in the forum marketplace maybe someone could come up with a few for you.
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Deputy wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Water is only needed to wash out salts, if you never shoot black powder or corrisive primed ammunition you do not need water and Hoppes will work fine. JB Bore paste works well also, on the filthy bores . Pick up some of the surplus ammo while you can, you don't need to shoot it, it's just a nice acsessory to have, just like the cleaning kit and bayonet.
Heh...I don't have the luxury of buying display ammo. :D I will pick up some JB bore paste, though. Heard a lot of good stuff about that. :thumbsup:
I would also like to pick up some of the steel clips the milsurp ammo was loaded on. I have seen cheap, Chinese clips for sale on Amazon and the feedback on their performance is terrible. I need the original steel clips.
Here's some Russian Izhevsk stripper clips that were for sale. he said he had hundreds so I bet he still has some. I'd PM him because he said he doesn't check the listing that often and has was last on Nov. 25th. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=7239
MeatMarket

Post by MeatMarket »

Deputy wrote: Unfortunately, Butch's smells even worse than Hoppes and it has some of the most caustic chemicals you can find all crammed into one bottle.
What are you talking about? Hoppes smells like heaven. :lol:
I believe in the right to arm bears.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

My favorite is WW2 USGI bore cleaner in the oval shaped small can's :)
Theodore Roosevelt
mrb7

Post by mrb7 »

Deputy wrote:...I gave Butch's Bore Shine a try. WOW!!! The crud that came out of the barrel was simply amazing! Unfortunately, Butch's smells even worse than Hoppes and it has some of the most caustic chemicals you can find all crammed into one bottle...
And make sure you keep the bottle closed tight for the Butch's. The carrier is naphtha, which evaporates like crazy.
"The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yea, the reason my Zippo needs refilling at least once every two weeks no matter if I use it or not.
Theodore Roosevelt
MeatMarket

Post by MeatMarket »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Yea, the reason my Zippo needs refilling at least once every two weeks no matter if I use it or not.
I was wondering why mine kept running out so quick.
mrb7

Post by mrb7 »

Naphtha is the lightest of the liquid petroleum products. So it evaporates way faster than say asphault.
"The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
MeatMarket

Post by MeatMarket »

mrb7 wrote:Naphtha is the lightest of the liquid petroleum products. So it evaporates way faster than say asphault.
Geez that's fast stuff. Oft'times whilst driving, I notice the road will dissapear quite suddenly.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Theodore Roosevelt
A J

Re: Cleaning your rifle initially and after shooting!

Post by A J »

As I was getting ready to mix a batch of the "Ed's Red" bore cleaner, my wife had an excellent idea. Since the mixture consists of 4 equal parts, she gave me a 20-ounce glass jar with index marks on the side every 4 ounces. Her idea was to simply pour each of the four ingredients up to each 4-ounce index mark, give a quick shake and you're done. It worked like a charm!

Incidentally, I just tried the bore cleaner today and it worked very well; possibly better than any other bore cleaner I've ever used. After cleaning my mosin nagant bores (that I thought were already clean), I was able to remove a lot of gunk.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
67mustang390

Post by 67mustang390 »

Thanks for the great info
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt