Cleaning your rifle initially and after shooting!

Mosin Information Pages, Video's on setting firing pin protrusion, how to check headspace, the Mosin bolt,
MosinWiki, How to's on cleaning your Mosin, shooting too hight? and much more.
steve8261948

Re: Cleaning your rifle after shooting!

Post by steve8261948 »

Wasn't Hoppe 9 designed to clean guns after firing corrosive ammo in guns? Also, a good ruxt preventer. KISS?
Steve
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I believe it used to be. But it has changed. My new bottle of hoppes says nothing about corrosive ammo.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

steve8261948 wrote:Wasn't Hoppe 9 designed to clean guns after firing corrosive ammo in guns? Also, a good ruxt preventer. KISS?
Steve
Hoppes #9 does say that on the bottle. I have one right here and am reading it. That said I don't trust only using it and not flushing the exposed parts with hot/boiling water first. The cleaning procedure described here is as simple as it gets and time tested by collectors with decades of experience using corrosive ammo. It takes maybe 5 extra minutes to boil and pour water. Small price to pay to insure your cherished weapon is safe from rust. Also though Hoppes #9 states it prevents rust they go on to tell you during the cleaning instructions to use an oiled patch as the final step when cleaning. Hoppes #9 is a solvent and contains kerosene and acetone which cause it to dry. It's main purpose is to clean, not preserve the weapon. A good gun oil should always be the last step when cleaning.
MeatMarket

Post by MeatMarket »

Wonderful article, thank you for this. One question though, is a bore brush ever necessary for the cleaning process?
I believe in the right to arm bears.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

A bore brush helps if you have a dark bore, it scrubs fouling out of the pits in the metal, or if you are trying to remove a heavy buildup of storage cosmoline, or copper fouling. Hoppes 9, if allowed to sit in a bore will do most of the cleaning work for you without a brush.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steve8261948

Post by steve8261948 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:A bore brush helps if you have a dark bore, it scrubs fouling out of the pits in the metal, or if you are trying to remove a heavy buildup of storage cosmoline, or copper fouling. Hoppes 9, if allowed to sit in a bore will do most of the cleaning work for you without a brush.
I've personally never seen anything help a "dark" bore? Most benchrest shooter I know, wouldn't consider using a bronze brush in their barrel, just a patch with whatever solvent.
Steve
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

What do u guys use for a funnel for the hot water. I need to come up with a better system than I have now. Any pics of your set up?

Thanks

JB
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

steve8261948 wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:A bore brush helps if you have a dark bore, it scrubs fouling out of the pits in the metal, or if you are trying to remove a heavy buildup of storage cosmoline, or copper fouling. Hoppes 9, if allowed to sit in a bore will do most of the cleaning work for you without a brush.
I've personally never seen anything help a "dark" bore? Most benchrest shooter I know, wouldn't consider using a bronze brush in their barrel, just a patch with whatever solvent.
Steve
It will do absolutely nothing to help the pits other than assist in cleaning some of the crap stuck inside of them. Once a bore is pitted it's that way for life, no chemical we have can replace the metal that is missing.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

jeremyb wrote:What do u guys use for a funnel for the hot water. I need to come up with a better system than I have now. Any pics of your set up?

Thanks

JB
I use the spout on my plastic electric teapot to direct the water down into the chamber. I hold the rifle by the buttstock with the muzzle down, bolt removed, and pour it in, and allow it to run out on the ground outside, or into a bucket inside.
Theodore Roosevelt
mrb7

Post by mrb7 »

jeremyb wrote:What do u guys use for a funnel for the hot water. I need to come up with a better system than I have now. Any pics of your set up?...
I use a small transmission fluid funnel I found in the Automotive section at K-Mart. It's a bit clunky but works.

I recently bought one of the long stem ones, but it turns out that's way too cumbersome.
"The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
GLUGLUG

Post by GLUGLUG »

I just use a tea kettle and pour down the barrel into the tub or outside. Do you guys clean you bolt with hot water as well? I've been cleaning almost everything with water and it takes me a bit more time than I'd like. Is it only necessary on the barrel/receiver or should I keep cleaning ALL the metal with water?
If you're not pissed off you're not paying attention.
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I always clean down the barrel/chamber. And also the bolt head and the portion of the fireing pin with the bolt head removed. If i'm really feeling picky i'll disassemble the bolt completely and clean and oil it all.

Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I make sure to hit the bolt head and the magazine follower with hot water, these are areas that escaping gasses could deposit salts.
Theodore Roosevelt
New91-30guy

Post by New91-30guy »

Ok, got everything on my list gonna mix up my first batch of "Ed's Red" bore cleaner tonight. And also a batch of 50/50 mix gun oil. Thanks for posting this recipe here, cant wait to try it. what do you guys think about using a bore snake soaked in the bore cleaner :?:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Messy, but so long as you don't leave it in there it should work.
Theodore Roosevelt
lefty475

Post by lefty475 »

I'd like to add that I use plain water followed by Hoppes, followed by Ballistol and it works well.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yea, soap water is mostly needed for black powder, BP can really load up the fouling
Theodore Roosevelt
steve8261948

Post by steve8261948 »

ponycarman wrote:I believe it used to be. But it has changed. My new bottle of hoppes says nothing about corrosive ammo.

I believe corrosive ammo manufacturing disappeared decades ago in this hemisphere anyway. Stands to reason Hoppe's change their labeling.
Steve
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

steve8261948 wrote:
ponycarman wrote:I believe it used to be. But it has changed. My new bottle of hoppes says nothing about corrosive ammo.

I believe corrosive ammo manufacturing disappeared decades ago in this hemisphere anyway. Stands to reason Hoppe's change their labeling.
Steve

The plastic quart bottle of Hoppe's #9 I have which was purchased last year and is not old stock says it "Removes corrosive primer fouling and residue" on the front of the lable. That said I still use boiling water before using it to clean a firearm after firing corrosively primed surplus.
steve8261948

Post by steve8261948 »

I found 60 rounds of Wolf 7.62X54R at a local gunshow. It is listed on box as noncorrosive berdan primed. I don't like the Wolf stuff in all other calibers but, will try this in my M44? Probably will clean well after trying it, anywy.
Steve