Cleaning your rifle initially and after shooting!

Mosin Information Pages, Video's on setting firing pin protrusion, how to check headspace, the Mosin bolt,
MosinWiki, How to's on cleaning your Mosin, shooting too hight? and much more.
Gunowner99

Re: Cleaning your rifle initially and after shooting!

Post by Gunowner99 »

Leaching the stock, won't the newsprint transfer if you wrap it? What is purpose? To melt cosmo to be absorbed by papers?

How long is a long time?

Initial clean and chemicals to use? Simple green on all metal parts? I am just confusing myself I bet.

Is there a series of videos for initial clean/diss assembly/reassembly and for after shooting clean? Just trying to be prepared for when I get to it. And this whole hot water thing, won't that get in everthing if you pour from crown end? I would assume you use funnel from bolt end? Ugh!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

No the paper wont print. I have not done the newspaper for a while as I just wipe them clean. If they leak I wipe them again.
OK...SLOW DOWN No hurry.
1. take bolt out, disassemble, clean with hot water or any other cleaner you want. Gun spray cleaner or what ever. Oil lightly put it back together and set aside.
2. Boil some water, I use a tea kettle. I also have a chair set up for the barreled action so I do this with the action out of the stock most of the time. Take the kettle and pour the hot water down the barrel and get it on the chamber area also. Pour it all thru. Then with gloves on cause it is hot take in and use a bore brush, once thru and take off brush or run back thru if you are that kind of cleaner. Then take hoppes soaked patches and run thru once each till they come out grayish. Then run a patch with gun oil of your choice thru. Lightly oil the outside of the metal with a saturated rag after it is cool. Use lemon oil on the stock if necessary. Then check head space and firing pin protrusion and shoot and then repeat the above....easy as pie. If after you do this a few times you will find something you like to use or do and that is fine. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

If you want you can pour the water with the metal in the stock but take care not to get too much on the stock. For this I have a little doohickey I made. It sits in the chamber and acts like a funnel. :thumbsup: Don't pour the water on your hands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wear gloves also. :thumbsup:
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

There are probably as many techniques for initial and after-shooting cleaning of Mosins as there are Mosin rifles. I normally use Mineral Spirits to clean the whole gun of the grease-gunk that comes on it when you buy it. I use it on the stock too. Works really good and fast. Even works good in the bore.

Unless you are shooting corrosive ammo, you don't have to bother with water at all. Or if you are anal about using water for some reason, you can use Hoppe's Elite gun cleaner. It works very well at cleaning the carbon and crud from the gun after you shoot it, and it has a water base. I like to use Butch's Bore Cleaner to get any copper fouling out. But you don't have to use it very often. Maybe once every 5 times you shoot.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

desdem12 wrote:If you want you can pour the water with the metal in the stock but take care not to get too much on the stock. For this I have a little doohickey I made. It sits in the chamber and acts like a funnel. :thumbsup: Don't pour the water on your hands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wear gloves also. :thumbsup:
I use a small brass funnel that is used to fill my BP powder flasks with powder. It has a long tube that sets right down into the Mosin action perfectly.