Model 1898 infanterie Gewehr Einwohnerwehr Bayern marked

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Model 1898 infanterie Gewehr Einwohnerwehr Bayern marked

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I promised to shoot some new pics of the Imperial German GEW when I got around to it. The rain is falling outside so now seems like a good time. Here is the info from the original post

The Model 1898 infanterie Gewehr
This rifle is the crown jewel of my Mauser collection, a rifle it took me over 25 years to find. All the seemingly hundreds of Bubba rifles I was offered, the poor abused relics dredged out of dank cellars I had to look over and make polite noises about, and then finally I found this rifle that was everything I was looking for in a GEW98. Made at Spandau arsenal in 1906 it has never been so much as looked at by Bubba, all is original as it should be. All of it's serial numbers match, even the little parts have the 00 stamp (last two digits of the serial number). The crown, and bore are in amazingly good condition, nice and clean, the blue is more silver to brown now with age, and the stock has no cracks, or major dents. The stock, and handguard are both serial numbered to the rifle, and have the proper original oil finish. All that would be enough but this rifle goes a step beyond most GEW98's, it's got the EWB stamp of the Einwohnerwehr Bayern on the buttstock. The Einwohnerwehr Bayern was formed just after WW1 in the federal state of Bavaria. The Einwohnerwehr was a loosely organised paramilitary force made up of former soldiers, Police, and ordinary citizens who were nominally controlled by the army. As they were not part of the Army, or the Police they technically got around the Treaty of Versailles limits on German Military, and Police number's. They were formed to help restore order in the chaos left after the war ended by a special order of the Prussian Ministry of the Interior in 1918, and they had hundreds of thousands of members until disbanded in 1921 by order of the Allies. The idea was to allow citizens to protect themselves from looters, armed gangs, and red revolutionaries. It was under the command of the local Reichswehr regiments, and the Reichswehr supplied the firearms used. This rifle was used by the Bavarian part of the Einwohnerwehr (as indicated by the EWB stamp ) who should not be confused with the Freikorps. Freikorps units were volunteers, while the Einwohnerwehr did have official sanction. many of it's members went on to the Freikorps, and later to the Brown shirts of the NSDAP.
The sling, and action cover in the pics are reproduction while the butcher bayonet, and Iron Crosses are originals. Needless to say the rifle is an excellent shooter with a dark, but interesting past. I am always amazed at the high level of fit, and finish these rifles posses, just the amount of time alone that they spent to stamp the serial number on virtually every part of the rifle is amazing.

Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Re: Model 1898 infanterie Gewehr Einwohnerwehr Bayern marked

Post by desdem12 »

Nice 8-) 8-)
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

Now this mauser I remember, along with your K98s. All nice rifles!
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

My man! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The K98 posts I couldn't save, back when I made them I loaded the pics from my computer, this post had photobucket links so I could transfer it in seconds. I still have the rifles, and can make new posts one day. This is one of the rifles I found on the old forum from Craig, NobleSniper, I had his email someplace, if somebody has it send him a note about the new forum, it takes me weeks to find anything.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:The K98 posts I couldn't save, back when I made them I loaded the pics from my computer, this post had photobucket links so I could transfer it in seconds. I still have the rifles, and can make new posts one day. This is one of the rifles I found on the old forum from Craig, NobleSniper, I had his email someplace, if somebody has it send him a note about the new forum, it takes me weeks to find anything.
I know where he lurks... I'll drop him a note. I think he will like it here.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The GEW98,
Theodore Roosevelt
Tula Neil

Post by Tula Neil »

Wow JYD that is in stunning condition, good find. Nice Bayonet too :thumbsup:

I have a 1907 DWM with a few more battle scares, yet still matching.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

This one had to be a GI bringback, too clean, probably spent it's life after 1919 up on a wall someplace.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

BEAUTIFUL
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

The rear sight is not only functional, but artistically beautiful.
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

25 years...it was worth the wait! That's a great story and a fantastic rifle. I love the "rollercoaster" rear sight.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Ban-One wrote:25 years...it was worth the wait! That's a great story and a fantastic rifle. I love the "rollercoaster" rear sight.
They are a blast to use.... I wouldn't trade my Gew 98 for nothing... Except for yours of course. Exceptional. :thumbsup:

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I bring it out now and then, it's a great shooter, however due to it's historical significance I use it sparingly and with great care.
Theodore Roosevelt
Celt

Post by Celt »

Beautiful again JYD, and educational! :D
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

This is a rifle from a very dark time, the trenches of WW1 and the street battles of post Great War Germany that eventually led to the rise of the NSDAP and Hitler. War and murder, this rifle has probably seen both.
Theodore Roosevelt
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

That rifle is just totally inspiring. Drooling with history. Id like to find a real Iron Cross one day. Too many fakes out there for me to know the difference though.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The WW1 iron crosses were all bought from the family's of local WW1 veterans, one of them belonged to my neighbors Uncle, he was gassed and lost an arm during the war, he personally captured the cross from it's former owner. These date back to when I was collecting US M1903's. I have one real WW2 cross, but as a rule I don't care for Nazi shit past things related directly to weapons and field gear. The Nazi cross came with the ERMA K98k, was part of the kit captured with the rifle.
Theodore Roosevelt