my first black powder! American Knight.

If it fires black powder, it is discussed here.
ponycarman

Re: my first black powder! American Knight.

Post by ponycarman »

When I get ready to make a bp purchase ill have to jump on a bp forum and ask some questions. I'm not ready to purchase yet but I like to research and narrow down what I'm looking for. So if the right rifle jumps out and bites me I know what not to pass up haha :D I would also love to try bow hunting but I know absolutely zero about bows haha.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Celt

Post by Celt »

There are different temps on the 209 primers.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Yeah and I think when I first looked at 209 rifles I think I remember reading that they have reduced power primers for bp rifles. I'll have to see if I can find some about it.

Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

reduced power is probably equivalent to a ordinary cap.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Celt

Post by Celt »

That buckhorn 209 is made for those 209 shot gun primers. The problem I think is guys are pushing the envelope with 150 loads and magnum primers.. buckhorn209 is supposed to be cleaner and less corrosive.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

All shotshell primers are non corrosive, it's the powder be it black or substitute that are corrosive, it's said that the substitutes are more so than the black . You could use clean shot in this, it's a BP substitute that leaves residue similar to corrosive primed cartridge ammo, cleans up easy with plain water.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Celt

Post by Celt »

The buckhorn 209 is powder. I might just get some pellets to start off.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I was just reading some about the blackhorn powder. Sounds good. It also claims to be the only non corrosive and non hygroscopic bp on the market. So they claim the clean up is the same as a normal rifle.

Last edited by ponycarman on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Celt

Post by Celt »

Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Cool! I like it!

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Celt

Post by Celt »

My mistake...the powder us called blackhorn 209, not buckhorn.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I have a CVA. Infact i have a pile of CVAs i love them all. But i have a .54 caliber and it is made for pellets and a recommended charge is 2 pellets or 120 grains. It works very well and i am not about to go to under that on loose powder. If you have doubts...and i don't i would call CVA or Knight or whom ever. I personally called CVA and talked to them about their barrels and problems and they were very good about the info. I also have a .50 caliber Elkhorn magnum. It likes 125 to 130 gr. It just does not come close to the accuracy under that. I am not worried about it and this is a deadly accurate rifle that i have used for 8 or so years. :2cents:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Hey des do you have any cva inline muzzle loaders? If so how do you like it and how well does it perform? I'm also curious tp know what cva said when you contacted them about their barrels. Cva's seem to be the most common bp rifles around here. I've looked at some and liked them.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

CVA has been offering ( they do not make anything themselves) muzzle loaders at reasonable cost for 40 or more years, but they have been into inlines somewhat less than that long. Most everybody who was around in the 70's ended up with a CVA as a first BP shooter, their Kentucky rifle was very popular in kit form and as a finished rifle.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I have a 54 caliber firebolt and a 50 caliber elkhorn magnum. I love them both and they are super accurate. The 54 i love to death and kicks harder then most anything i have shot. I called customer service i think cause the firebolt was an older rifle. It was actually brand new in the box when i bought it a couple of years ago, just some guy had it sitting in the back. Now both of these are BOLT ACTION inlines. I prefer the bolts. I have worked up loads on both of these and i would pit the elkhorn against any rifle i have at 100 yds. I called to ask about the barrel and the years and problems of the exploding ones. I got a old guy that said he had been there for a long time and told me the years and models and that it was not this one. I also asked for recommended loads and bullets. These both were designed around the power belt bullets and they work good with them. The one thing i have a problem with is the 50 caliber bullets i was using had a terrible co-efficient and they came apart and shattered when they hit. I remedied this by changing to the platinum ones in that rifle. The 54 hits like a ton of bricks and rolls the deer no matter where hit. That is the reason i use it as i hunt elk too. The boy now uses the 50 caliber. I recommend CVA and have had not one problem in all the years i have had them. I broke a rod on the 54 and called them for a replacement. Even though it was a rifle made in 80's they sent one for free and it was there in a week or less. Very good people. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I will clarify by saying i called about the firebolt. It was made in the 80's. The elkhorn was brand new in the box too. I bought the elkhorn in the 2000 something. Some of the problems guys had was that savage made a supposed smokeless powder muzzle loader. This caused nothing but trouble and i heard a lot were exploded. It was a version of the 110 model. Not sure if they are still making these or not as i haven't heard too much about them recently. In my inlines i use: .50= 125gr goex (A goex substitute, name escapes me at the moment. 50 cal is a magnum) and 270 gr platinum powerbelt.
.54 = 2 60 grain pyrodex pellets (120gr) and a 340 grain accutip powerbelt. The 54 just works better with the pellets for some reason.