my first black powder! American Knight.

If it fires black powder, it is discussed here.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: my first black powder! American Knight.

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That looks nice, but you haven't even shot the first one yet :) ....... and another collecting disease is born :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Celt

Post by Celt »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Yes, follow the manufacturers suggested loads, if you do not have a manual, contact Night, or check them online, they will provide you with the information. Safely first.
I've got the manual...they say not to load more than 120 grains max. I was juts wondering about starting with something like 90 to see how she prints. From what I hear about the local hunting the longer shots will only be about 70,80 yards. Lots of trees and hills.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Celt

Post by Celt »

http://www.knightrifles.com/images/P/M9 ... er-kit.jpg

Here's the kit. Its fifty dollars. They have one at gander mountain I think its about the same price.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I don't see why not. Looks good.
Another item that is very nice is a range rod. It will be stronger, and easier to use than the ramrod that comes with the rifle.
Celt

Post by Celt »

I'll look around for one.I think I saw them at bps.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

You can quickly spend a good chunk of change for accessories...I can vouch for that. I use an old map bag that I had from my military years as a possibles bag after looking around at what they were priced at said to heck with it and this suits me just fine! I use Pyrodex pellets now, may try loose powder at some point but for as many times as it gets shot a year the pellets make more sense for me. I get the shockwave 246gr saboted bullets for right at .50 each and don't have to worry about leading. Don't forget a short starter, bore butter, breechplug grease (although a lot of people just use bore butter on that as well), cleaning patches (I bought white cotton flannel remnant at walmart and cut 2"x2" patches from it, have enough for like ten years, lol) a lot of people make a small bottle of diluted windex for a quick wipe of the bore if the sabots start getting tight. Obviously some of this is for range time more than hunting, since you'll only be shooting once, right??? :thumbsup:
Celt

Post by Celt »

Thanks for the info! Yes my plan is to just shoot one st a time! I can buy as many doe tags as I can afford so....one shoot one kill, that's the plan anyway. These knights are supposed to be tack drivers with the right load and bullet.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Never start out with the maximum load in anything, start with the minimum, and work your way up to something that shoots well with the rifle and bullets you are using. Every ML has it's sweet spot, it takes range experimentation to find it. Remember that the listed loads will probably be for real black powder, the substitutes are a bit more powerful so reduce their loads by five percent.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Celt

Post by Celt »

If I use loose powder I can use 90. If I use pellets I'll have to use 100
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

If you use loose powder you can tailor the charge to whatever you want it to be. You set the powder measure to the charge you want. Remember to stick to FFG in this, FFFG is a smaller grain size intended for pistols and small bore rifles, bot the bigger bores. Never, ever use FFFFG, this is like powder dust and is only used to prime flintlock pans. In a pinch you can use FG, this is course grain powder used in small cannons and big bore muskets like the Brown Bess. Never pour powder into the bore directly from a can or flask, always into a measure, and then dump the measure into the bore. One tiny glowing ember left in that bore from the previous shot and it's all over.
Theodore Roosevelt
Celt

Post by Celt »

Will do. Got the powder measure just need a flask or something. Any suggestions?
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Celt

Post by Celt »

Something I just learned..click on ignition system..

http://www.knightrifles.com/full-plastic-jacket
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Dixie Gun Works has basic powder horns, or you can buy one of the larger size brass or copper powder flasks. Check Dixie, they have a good variety of containers to pack powder around in :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

209 primers will give a nice hot spark.
Theodore Roosevelt
full clip

Post by full clip »

Go to this site if for nothing else eye candy.
http://www.longrifle.ws/
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

There is a guy in there under the antiques selling an Austrian M1867 Werndl who has no clue what it is, every fact he listed about it was wrong right down to the name he called it. I ID'd it by the pic of the rotating drum action, hilarious, and he wanted $1400! "Civil War" rifle :)
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:209 primers will give a nice hot spark.
I've been reading about the 209 primers are too hot. Something about extra blow back and carbon fouling. And that the detonation of the primer can actually unseat the sabot or bullet and upset the accuracy before three powder begins to burn. Not sure how much of it is true but alot of people seem to have bought into it and have good results with a less intense form of ignition.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Caps have worked well since the 1830's, my experience with the inlines is nothing, all my BP's are more traditional designs and with these there are no options. Best is to find someone who has used the 209's and ask them how it went.
Theodore Roosevelt
Celt

Post by Celt »

I read that too. I think they are talking about the magnum primers. i'm thinking of trying bh 209 which needs a hot prime.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

These days it can sometimes be hard to find primers, but so far shotshell primers have been around in good supply. A thousand primer pack should keep you for a lifetime.
Theodore Roosevelt