Kivaari model of 1891 Sestroryetsk 1894

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Kivaari model of 1891 Sestroryetsk 1894

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Here is a battle rifle, it was used in who knows how many fights, it's old enough to have seen use in the Russo-Jap war, the almost revolution of 1905, and the Great War were it was captured and used by the enemy before being sold to the Finn's who used it yet again in two more wars. How much blood this rifle has spilled can never be known, but according to score marks left behind it has killed at least two. This is what a battle rifle looks like when it has seen the trenches, the blood, the mud, and hard fighting of war. Still it remains a deadly weapon ready again to harvest lives if need be. Below is the description from the first time I posted it several years ago, nothing about it has changed, it sits in it's spot against the wall like an old war veteran watching the world go by, a veteran that has a look in his eye that just says don't **** with me.

I almost passed on this rifle, I had just bought another Sestroryetsk Kivaari only a few days before, and two in the space of a week seemed excessive, but I was once again unable to resist an M91. I put in a bid I was sure would be passed by one of the other bidders involved in the auction, but to my surprise no one outbid me, and I now have two Sestroryetsk M91’s (one still on the way). This Kivaari was produced in 1894, and it has seen a lot of use since then. It has a double SA stamp on the barrel shank, one SA on the side near the wood line, another on top, the Imperial markings on the barrel are still intact, the one on the receiver is missing, or maybe was never there in the first place. The receiver tang is dated to 1894 with the Sestroryetsk arrow, the trigger, mag well, and interrupter/ ejector also have the Sestroryetsk arrow. The stock has a German Deutsches Reich property mark on the right side of the buttstock , I see no other German markings on the metal . I have found that someone has stamped a number 2 on the stock nose cap, magazine well, and the side of the receiver, as well as the underside of the barrel, I have not encountered this before on an M91. Perhaps these were added by the Germans much like the GEW98 has a couple of digits of the serial number stamped on just about every part of the rifle, the number 2 is both the first, and last number in the M91’s serial number. The bluing is almost entirely gone, I do not think it has seen a bluing job since 1894, the stock has an oil finish, and the handguard matches. The bolt, and barrel serials match, the mag does not, and there is none on the buttplate. The barrel has a 1” counterbore, gray grooves, and some slight areas of pitting with the lands showing only slight wear. The bolt is a mix of Tula, and Izhevsk parts, one barrel band is Tula, the other Izhevsk, no idea who made the buttplate. The stock still has sling slots rather than hangers, and someone was keeping a count of something with two carefully carved score marks just in front of the magazine. No way to tell if they were Imperial Russian, German WW1, or WW2 Finn additions, but my money would be on their being Finn, they look old, but not WW1 old.
Now the fun part, after I scrubbed out 60 years of crud from under the wood, and in the bore I took the Kivaari down to the range. The very first group I shot ran 1 ½”, five shots from 100 yards with Hungarian light ball, three of the holes were touching. The first group shot almost 2” high because I forgot to set the rear sight, and it was up a bit, but it was shooting very near POA windage wise. Adjusting the sight corrected the elevation, and the rest of the groups shot POA, with groups varying from 1 ½” to 2”, but I saved the target with the first group. 113 years old, and used in at least 2 wars, maybe three, counterbored with a less than perfect bore, and it shoots as well as my best US 1903’s, and almost as good as the Kivaari M24. Definitely glad I did not pass on this one, I have never been disappointed by Finn Kivaari yet, but this one really surprised me with it’s performance. It’s performance goes a long way toward explaining the two score marks on the stock. This rifle is a pre-68 GCA import, no import marks, seems as if whoever had it did not shoot it, what came out of the bore was a large amount of dust, but no rust.

Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Re: Kivaari model of 1891 Sestroryetsk 1894

Post by desdem12 »

Nice 8-) 8-)
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Another of the old ones :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

:Drool1: Is 29 too old to be adopted? You have a lot of nice rifles JYD.
Formerly kyle514

History admires the wise, but elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

29 year olds eat too much :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:29 year olds eat too much :)
I can pay for my own food. :D
Formerly kyle514

History admires the wise, but elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

One of the items on my want list... Another Sestroryetsk. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:

kyle514 wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:29 year olds eat too much :)
I can pay for my own food. :D
You would have to pay for a lot more than that for JYD to take you in. Even then you'll have to sleep in one of the junked cars in the yard. :chuckles:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:lol: :lol: :lol: With the mice :chuckles:
Theodore Roosevelt
SDH1903

Post by SDH1903 »

Thats one hell of a smoke poll, I Didn't know you could shoot it with modern ball, I though you needed that old round nose shite! Really nice, great shooter!
Steve
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The D stamp is on the rifle, it just got cut off in the pic :) No problems with modern rounds.
Theodore Roosevelt