Shooting high with that Mosin?

Mosin Information Pages, Video's on setting firing pin protrusion, how to check headspace, the Mosin bolt,
MosinWiki, How to's on cleaning your Mosin, shooting too hight? and much more.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Shooting high with that Mosin?

Post by Darryl »

Is your Mosin shooting high. Well that is common with a Mosin and with many Military surplus rifles.

Here is an easy and very cheap way to fix the problem.
(I should mention there are other ways to fix the problem like replacing the center post on the front sight, and this method can be found on ebay. It is a longer post and is not a permanent alteration to your Mosin.......longer sight pin)

Just add heat shrink tubing..... .10 cents worth of red or any color 1/8" heat shrink tubing found in the electrical section of any hardware store. (they have bright colors too)

The ending result is the same size diameter as the original post (see photo 3 at the far right below), just longer. I know it don't look like it in the photos, but the post at the top is the same as the original post is. Look and see the reduction near the middle.

Just trim it off with an Exacto knife or a razor blade and...there you go. Cost...maybe .10

If you screw up and cut it too short during re-sight in, just pull it off and shrink another piece on at the range using a match. Just don't get too close to the shrink tubing with the match. If you screw it up...start again! :bwink:

Dolk

Image Image Image
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Shooting high with that Mosin?

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have used this method in the past with high shooting Mosins and it works well. I wish it could be so easy with the Mauser's
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Mountain Man

Post by Mountain Man »

I just did it too, and it works great. BTW how come so many Mosins shoot so high? You would think that they would be set to shoot low, as troops that are not well trained with rifles always tend to shoot high. It seems a problem with all of the except the Finnish ones.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Back in the old days they thought the fighting range was 300 yards. It wasn't till later they decided the range was 100 or less and then you saw the cahnge to smaller calibers like the x39 and the 30 carbine, 8mm kurtz :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

I'll be doing this to mine. I am about 8" high at 100 yards.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I like how cheap it is, it's easy & by no means does it alter your gun permanently in any way whatsoever. Great tip!!! :thumbsup:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

Realized the same thing with all my bolt-action milsurps.
It kind of evens out at 250m (that is why we shoot there with the vise at 200) and at 400 m it is set right there, 1 of 5 in a 3x3 foot target with assistance by a spotter. You see a 3x3 target as a mini-spot at that range, so you need to be spotted in.
1 of 5 is doable onto the target, if you know how your gun shoots...................but not too many people here have the patience to find out.
And right now the heat is on, and we can only shoot from sun-up to 9am, or get our brains cooked. LOL
My son said the other day:"As if they weren't already!" OOHH, well.......
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
An armed Public consists of Citizens, an unarmed Public consists of Subjects!
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

Well I did one of my sights last night. I'll be doing another one tonight. Then testing tomorrow. I'll be happy if I can hit the target at 200 yards.

jb
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I spent most of my money on beer and women. The rest I just wasted."
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

Shoot low, boys....
the cojotes are on high heels, today......ROFL
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
An armed Public consists of Citizens, an unarmed Public consists of Subjects!
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

Thanks for this usefull tip. You guys rock! :pointleft: :pointleft: :pointleft: :toast: :toast: :Gjob: :Gjob: :good: :good: :udaman: dance5
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Dangit why didn't I think of that! It would have saved me all that pesky trouble of going to thenrangemand sighting the rifles in. To think of all the spotted owls that will be dying from the lead exposure by the hundreds of rounds I buried in the dirt backstop. Lol... Seriously though great tip as a cheap quick fix that won't Bubba up the gun or worse. :D
As they say the pen is mightier than the sword...however that also means the pen is far more dangerous than the sword. The sword can take your life or your limb but can not take your freedom, the pen can. A wary patriot watches the pen as it can steal his freedom. The wary patriot knows he can use the pen to take power from those who wish to use the pen for evil, but keeps his rifle close by his side "just in case"!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

If you were shooting Soviet surplus then you weren't salting that mine with too much lead :) Steel core bullets, the cheap bastards didn't miss a trick.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
drabnor

Post by drabnor »

just tried this, 1/8" heat shrink is way too big, back to the hardware store...
a few old Russian bolt actions
Roman1976

Post by Roman1976 »

I ordered longer sight post from JOHNNYBAR off eBay , paid $15 . I had some problems removing the original front sight post ( pin ( what ever you call it ) . For some reason I was not able to push that thing out , so I ended up drilling it out . Sight post from JOHHNYBAR fits very good . I did not have a chance to take my rifle to the gun range after I installed that pin . I'll post results next Sunday . By the way my Mosin was shooting 12" off . To hit the bulls eye I had to aim 12" down and aim at 7 o'clock ( with out bayonet ) .
1939 Ижевск 91/30 (round receiver)
1944 Ижевск 91/30 (hex receiver)
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

I think I can add something useful to this thread.

I read this when I first received my 91/30 and it was shooting high. I too tried to use the smallest diameter heat shrink that I could find, but I just wasn't getting good results when shrinking it down. So, long story short, I ended up taking a piece of automotive electrical wire I had laying around (an old harness) and stripped the insulation from the wire. I then cut the insulation to length by test fitting on the sight post. I then removed and used a new (think sharp) razor blade and shaved down the insulation on the 2 edges that you would see if looking through the sights. It works perfect and was free! I don't remember what gauge wire it was, but it is easy enough to figure out. The sight picture is as good as if it was still original. Maybe a tad harder to see in low light, but I did use black wire...

The best part is if I want to change color or length I have essentially an unlimited supply!
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
lordkevin

Post by lordkevin »

Thanks for the nice post...
mens leather look trousers mens leather look trousers
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

lordkevin wrote:Thanks for the nice post...
Welcome to the forum Kevin, almost missed you back here :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

Hey Guys , is it possible to add an optic that is period correct to any Mosis? Just got a 91-30 and doing some research but don't wanna do anything not correct to the period.