For your browsing pleasure.
kagero43

TULA 1944 91/30 Sniper - Non refurb

Post by kagero43 »

Discussion Section

Mosin-Nagant 91/30 PU Sniper
TULA Arsenal dated 1944

BACKGROUND
I purchased this rifle in May 2012 upon spotting it on a gun rack at a sporting goods store in cottage country about 2 hours from where I live (it is my first Mosin Nagant). While I am not an expert in Mosin Nagants (let alone MS snipers), I knew immediately that it was unique by the age, wear, and overall patina on both the gun, scope mount, and scope. I then noticed it had no import, refurbish, or electric pencil markings whatsoever - just a original but replaced PU scope done by a war-time arsenal. After some quick internet searching for info on Mosin snipers to ensure some comfort level before purchasing, I ended up trading a few things for it and paying about $600 out of pocket. The condition of the rifle when purchased was very dirty with a bore that was not cleaned in a very very long time. Loose screws needed tightening but otherwise in usable condition. No one at the the store knows anything about this gun. So far from feedback on the forums, it is an original issue WW2 Mosin Nagant sniper rifle. There is speculation that it could be one of the early guns to arrive either as a veteran bring back or imported prior to the fall of the iron curtain and before shipments of post-war re-arsenal WW2 pieces. Took it to the range and it has nice crsip trigger and is very accurate!

FIREARM DETAILS
The mount appears to be Izhevsk, but has rifle serial stamped on it that would appear to be from another Tula PU rifle. The bolt is Tula. The receiver is a reworked Izhevsk high wall, which is also very common on Tula PU rifles built in '43 and '44. The scope number on the barrel shank could likely be for a 1944 scope built at KOMZ, GOMZ, or factory 297 at Yoshkar Ola.

Receiver is properly marked “CH” for a TULA “sniper”, with matching numbers on receiver, bottom mag plate, and bolt

Barrel shank number on Tula is apparently correct but uncommon.

Tula stamps appear on smaller parts as well (e.g., barrel bands), suggesting an unrefurbished rifle.

Wood stock is not shellacked and appears in original finish and condition ( a very Matt finish). No markings on the stock except a number mark.

Leather sling appears original as well.

The cleaning rod is a replacement given newer blue finish and Soviet refurb mark.

Scope is original Krasnogorsk Plant and made of early version metal alloy. Scope finish is painted black enamel which is correct for this type of scope. There are also no refurb markings on the scope showing again that it is original factory. Scope, and scope mount are original.

kagero43

Discussion Section