Russian 40s Surplus 7.62x54R on Strippers $125.00/600+$25SH

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
JTheBigJay

Re: Russian 40s Surplus 7.62x54R on Strippers $125.00/600+$2

Post by JTheBigJay »

I just saw these too.

Does anyone have any experience with this ammo? I sure it goes bang, but any concerns with it?

JRH
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

JTheBigJay wrote:I just saw these too.

Does anyone have any experience with this ammo? I sure it goes bang, but any concerns with it?

JRH

What I'm seeing from people that got this is it's fine. Ammo looks great and goes bang. Strippers are nice. I ordered 4 crates that should be here in about an hour or so. If I get time today I'll open a crate up and take some pictures but he has pictures of this stuff on the site and it is this ammo. Even if the ammo didn't shoot I wouldn't care really because I'm getting it because of the strippers. These are the real deal, Genuine Russian made WW2 era ammo and strippers made by the same people that made the Mosin Nagant Rifle they go into. If nothing else it's a great addition for collector purposes.
JTheBigJay

Post by JTheBigJay »

Yup. Great minds think alike. I'm sure the wife has a great mind. I hope so anyway when the crate shows up at the door.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Well My 4 crates just arrived. Ordered on the 11th and delivered today the the 14th. Sometimes I take it for granted just how dependable Sam is when it comes to his products but I just thought about it and he's never, ever let me down. Three days from order to my doorstep. I actually ordered them the night of the 11th too and Sam wasn't even at the shop so he shipped them out the next day on the 12th. Oklahoma to Northern Louisiana. Outstanding. I'm sorting through them now and have taken some pictures of the crates but I'll decide which one to open and take some pictures of the ammo inside. They stuff I got is all 1947.

Pull Tab to open.

No factory stamp on mine.

Stripper with no ammo.

Tikka reproduction sold by Cheaper Than Dirt for comparision.

Side by side comparison with repro Tikka loaded with 1985 Lugansk factory 60 ammo on the right and this ammo on the left.

Ammo headstamp.

The ammo in it's new home. All 20 packs fit perfectly in a 50 Cal. ammo can with room to spare. I opened this crate because Fred_G wants a tin and it was the one crate that looked the worst of the 4. No complaints here. If the others are like this one I'm happy. I didn't try the strippers in a rifle to see how they work. They look new and the fact that they're Russian made clips out of sealed crates and tins leads me to believe they'll work fine. We'll see on the next shoot.

Other misc. pictures:
Inspection papers in crate on top of ammo tins.

This is one of the inspection papers in the tin on top of the ammo in the opened tin.

Another inspection paper after removing the top piece of cardbard.

Close ups of crates.
Last edited by WeldonHunter on Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: 2 Different clips in the same box huh?
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

desdem12 wrote::vcool: :vcool: :vcool: 2 Different clips in the same box huh?
No that Tikka clip is from Cheaper than Dirt. It's a reproduction piece of crap. I used it to show the contrast between the real ones and the knock offs being sold.
JTheBigJay

Post by JTheBigJay »

Great!!!

I ordered form them a few months ago and had nothing but good things to say about them.

Thanks for the pics.

How does that lead core shoot compared to the steel? Accuracy wise. I'm still only about 6 months into owning or learning about MNs.
nmcqueen469

Post by nmcqueen469 »

I think I'll snatch up some of these. Thanks for the heads up!
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

JTheBigJay wrote:Great!!!

I ordered form them a few months ago and had nothing but good things to say about them.

Thanks for the pics.

How does that lead core shoot compared to the steel? Accuracy wise. I'm still only about 6 months into owning or learning about MNs.
I have to say I've made maybe 8 orders or more from Sam and this is the smallest order so far but no matter if it's 670lbs or 176lbs it's always exactly what I ordered and it comes in 3 business days. The only problem I've ever had is shipping damage which all of them do especially with ammo because it's so heavy.
Now as for how it compares to steel core. I haven't shot enough of any of it to tell you one way or the other but I guess it would depend on the quality of how it's made. Steel core ammo can be very accurate if it's made with the steel core centered as close to perfect as possible. Otherwise once it's spun by the rifling when fired it can go off target some. That's what I've heard anyway. I can't tell you from experience. I'm still on my first tin of 1985 Russian Lugansk. I'd think the lead core might tend to be more accurate simply because it's a solid projectile as long as it's quality ammo. This is factory 188 ammo and they have a solid track record as far as I know for making quality ammo.
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

Thanks for the picts Weldon. You know the UPS/FedUp drivers hate you right? :D :D

That was some seriously fast shipping!
Cajun

Russian 40s Surplus 7.62x54R on Strippers $125.00/600+$25SH

Post by Cajun »

Damn Weldon. Just damn lol
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Fred_G wrote:Thanks for the picts Weldon. You know the UPS/FedUp drivers hate you right? :D :D

That was some seriously fast shipping!
Actually no Shane loves coming here despite the heavy lifting, lol. We get to talk shooting. He's probably going to come shot with us some time. He lives right down in Ruston. I got your ammo too btw. You're gonna like this stuff buddy. ;)
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Cajun wrote:Damn Weldon. Just damn lol
You have no idea. I'm an ammo junkie. :D
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

Hey Weldon you know me, the more the merrier! I am up for a Saturday quick shoot if you want. I need to drop off some stuff at your place, we can make a quick evaluation of the 'new' ammo vs the 'old' steel core stuff if you want. I would like to function test my shotgun. No dragging stuff out, I will bring the targets, and my shooting mat. Way to hot to do much else. :D We need to look into a spotting scope. Got some 'ears' for you.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Fred_G wrote:Hey Weldon you know me, the more the merrier! I am up for a Saturday quick shoot if you want. I need to drop off some stuff at your place, we can make a quick evaluation of the 'new' ammo vs the 'old' steel core stuff if you want. I would like to function test my shotgun. No dragging stuff out, I will bring the targets, and my shooting mat. Way to hot to do much else. :D We need to look into a spotting scope. Got some 'ears' for you.
Sounds good to me. Come on up. The spotting scope is on the list and I actually was looking at ear muffs that were on sale and forgot all about it again.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

I have a correction to make about these. These strippers are Izhevsk stamped. Well at least some are. Fred_G came up to shoot and pick up his tin of strippered ammo. I was going to shoot with him but when I went to get the staple gun I got a phone call I was waiting for and was on the phone the whole time. :( Just as I hung up he was walking around the barn bringing the chairs back. I didn't mean to be rude but it was someone I hadn't talked to for a while and well one thing lead to another in the conversation. Fred_G also gave me a nice set of earmuffs that I really appreciate. Remington at that. I really like them. I've been using those flouresent sponge earplugs and they just about made my ears raw the last time we shot. Thank you buddy!

Later on I get a message from him telling me these clips are stamped and sure enough I pull a few boxes out and there it is the Izhevsk stamp. Some are anyway. Some are so lightly stamped you really have to look for it. Some are just not stamped I think. Doesn't it figure I pull the one box that has three very clearly unstamped smooth clips. I mean look at the picture I posted earlier. They all three looked the same. Here's what ones from another box look like.

BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Dag gone, I know if anything happens I need to be fighting my way toward your place for more ammo. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :Drool1:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

Mosins, and their ammo is a trip. In another thread, I commented that this 1947 stuff did not want to extract easily. I compared this ammo to some newer 7.62x54R from the traditional spam can. I think from the '70's. The 'neck' is longer on the newer ammo. The 'shoulder of the 1947 ammo is longer than the newer ammo. My terminology may be off. By shoulder, I mean the angled part where the brass angles down to close to the diameter of the bullet. By 'neck' I mean the brass from the bullet to where the 'shoulder' expands towards the rear of the cartridge.

I can't get a very good picture, but they are different.
ammo5.jpg
1970's on the left, the 1947 ammo on the right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

If that newer ammo is what you just got from me a month or so ago it's probably 1975 factory 60 like the ammo tin in the picture below. That tin in the picture below is the other tin that was in the same cardboard box yours came in. Mine might be different but chances are it's the same ammo. These were imported this way and not in crates. I haven't opened any of it yet so I can't compare exactly what you have but the ammo I have out is 1985 Lagansk Factory 60. I put a bunch of pictures because some show them a bit different from others. Crap camera and even more crap photographer.
I tried the 1985 and the 1947 I have in 4 different rifles and it worked fine in all of them. The rifles were a 1937 M91/30 Round, 1932 M91/30 Hex, Russian 1944 M44 and a 1929 M91/30 Hex ex-dragoon. Actually one of them had a slight problem with the extractor overcoming the rim of the 1985 stuff but it wasn't major. Just had to use a bit more force. I guess we'll be doing a comparison when you come back up next time. That is unless this eats at me to the point where I open that tin of 1975 I have. The point is the 1947 stuff seemed to work great in the rifles I checked it in. I'm stumped.

1975 Factory 60-Lugansk, Russia

All of the pictures below are 1985 Lugansk factory 60 left and 1947 Novosibirsk LVE factory 188 right