First Varmints

avenger

First Varmints

Post by avenger »

Well i shot my first animals today..the henry 22 makes good work of that...i got a groundhog ( my brother popped one right in the head earlier in the day with the 22 single)...(we have been shooting them recently as they tore up one of the cats) and a coon was trying to open our back screen door..and is pooping everywhere and getting in the trash..it ran off but blood in the grass let me know it had been hit...i tried taking some shots as it was running but it was dark pretty much so i couldnt see my sights..i shot it by our house where the light was after it ran out from under the deck
-John
"Hunting small animals is easy. You shoot at them with this and it lights them on fire and cooks them before you even get to them" -Me when showing picture of M44
ponycarman

Re: First Varmints

Post by ponycarman »

:vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

This is why you use a shotgun with at least #4 shot for the 'coons, .22 is too small unless shot placement is optimal, like a solid head shot. Shotgun gets the job done. .22's are best on smaller pests like tree rats, real rats, and small bunnies.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

I was going to recommend a good over and under in .222/20ga mag or even 22 mag over 20 ga. That used to be my night time varmint gun. Back in the days before red dots. I simply centered the coon or skunk where I wanted the bullet to hit in a low power scope. If I needed a followup or they were moving I always had the 20 ga mag. If they were in a tree I would start with the 20 ga and then switch to the upper barrel as they fell out. I've been seeing some used Savage 24's cropping up here lately and they are going for more than what I paid for my used one 25 years ago.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I never shoot skunks, for why one only has to look to my neighbor who got upset when one sprayed his dog. He shot it shortly after outside on his back lawn and found out that skunks can discharge more than once in a few minutes. The entire neighborhood thanked him for the wonderful stink. Skunks are rare here anyway, I have one around every few years, and they don't linger long.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

I shoot skunks for the very reason that I would rather have the smell linger around the property for a few weeks than on my dog for several months :bwink:
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

His late wife was English, the dog is one like the queen has, small, he bathed him in tomato and lemon juice :)
Theodore Roosevelt
avenger

Post by avenger »

I popped a BIG one today...i smacked it right in the jugular..look at all that blood... :biggrin: You cant see it all in the picture but there was a lot...

-John
"Hunting small animals is easy. You shoot at them with this and it lights them on fire and cooks them before you even get to them" -Me when showing picture of M44
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: Nice tag! :thumbsup: You have to drown the skunks that is how you kill them off with out the spray. You set up a barrel of water and and a plank that falls in the barrel and they can't resist. In the water they go and the level that they can't get out and they are done in a few. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

Yea, we use a 55 gallon drum with the in side a quarter full of water and cheap corn oil. If you add a little soap, the oil and water mix up and blinds them, so they never get out. Works on some coons too. Can't imagine what that would sound like if they both were in at the same time.Sick,really sick I know,but I hate coons' cause they eat my chickens and tear up my dogs. Skunks carry rabies in this county so we offer a bounty to the locals that can get one. Dead or alive. :pointdown: :devil2:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice hog :) Now clean it, skin it, and eat it :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt
Celt

Post by Celt »

Just make sure to get the fat of the meat. Nice shootin Tex! What no AK extermination? :popgun: :popgun: :popgun:
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
avenger

Post by avenger »

celt1314 wrote:Just make sure to get the fat of the meat. Nice shootin Tex! What no AK extermination? :popgun: :popgun: :popgun:
I may just try the ak next time to see what happens :lol: :lol: OR for the damn coon that thought it needed in the house :thumbsup: :chuckles:
-John
Groundpounder

Post by Groundpounder »

I didn't realize I was sharing a page with Wyle E Coyote. The barrel trick is right out of Saturday morning cartoons. Now we just need a Skunk trap with a big weight (the Acme Skunk - o - matic) and we're all set!
Never pick a fight with an old man.
If he's too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.
- J Steinbeck
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Straight from my ole Gpa the cattle rancher many moons ago. Wiley just copied it. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)