*NEWBIE*.303 British Lee-Enfield

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Mrs.Matt72601

*NEWBIE*.303 British Lee-Enfield

Post by Mrs.Matt72601 »

I recently put Lee-Enfield on layaway and was hoping to get any information I could about this type of gun. As of right now all I know is that it is a No.4 Mk.I, it had a stamp that said United Kingdom but I can't remember what was around that. Any info or history would be greatly appreciated!
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: *NEWBIE*.303 British Lee-Enfield

Post by millman »

Welcome to the forum. If you could post some pics when you get the rifle, we can probably tell you all about it.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Mrs.Matt72601

Post by Mrs.Matt72601 »

I will see if they will let me take some pics of it next time I go in. Thank You
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the forum, No4 mk1, A British WW2 battle rifle, they were made in Canada, and the US, yours was made at Enfield, UK manufacture. I look forward to the pics :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
target

Post by target »

Just make sure the stock is good and tight. There should be lots of even contact at the buttstock cup where the rear of the forearm contacts it and there should be no contact on the sides of the receiver as any pressure here can throw the round off. Enfields are pretty picky when it comes to accuracy and lots of the stocks dried out over the last 70 years causing a bit of shrinkage. Linseed oil will fix that up though. Lee Enfields are always a treat to see on the forum!
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I too look forward to your photos. It sounds like its a fantastic rifle...and you can't beat an Enfield :thumbsup:
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

The Lee Enfield is just such a classic military rifle with a distinctive look and a wonderful history. Detail stripping these rifles can be a bit intimidating your first time but dont be put off as it really isnt all that difficult...just make sure you set aside some extra time and a few extra beers for the task. :lol: Post some pics when you can and congratulations!
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

You can also look for what is referred to as the "Ishapore Screw"...not as fun as it sounds. This is a screw through the horizontal plain of the the stock and located between the receiver and the rear sight. If your rifle has this screw then it may be evidence that your rifle spent some time in India. The Indian armorers installed this screw when refurbishing the Enfields that they received, this was done to strengthen the stock. I have read that British armorers sometimes added a cross bolt in the same location but from what I have read it was far less common then the Ishapore screw. When you get your rifle check for green paint on the metal parts and barrel that are under the stock. The presence of green paint can also be an indicator that your rifle spent some time in India...or...it was put there by the British armorers as I have read that this was done in England as a way of fighting corrosion for rifles sent to humid climate areas.
Mrs.Matt72601

Post by Mrs.Matt72601 »

Thank you all for the info so far. I'm very excited about getting this gun and will be putting up pics as soon as I can get them. :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Mrs.Matt72601

Post by Mrs.Matt72601 »

Got my baby outta jail today!!! Will be posting pics asap! (uploading to photobucket right now!) :D :D :D
Mrs.Matt72601

Post by Mrs.Matt72601 »

Quite sure its been refinished :b sad: But all the serial numbers match...just need the bayonet, oiler, and strap. (am i missing anything) lol

Hope you enjoy!
Last edited by Mrs.Matt72601 on Wed May 09, 2012 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You are using the wrong photobucket link code, use the IMG code.
Theodore Roosevelt
Mrs.Matt72601

Post by Mrs.Matt72601 »

oh no! lol...thanks
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That is very nice, the UK was refurbishing rifles after WW2, they used them again in Korea. Many commonwealth country's also refurbished No4's, Australia, India, Canada, the import mark indicates the UK as were this one came from. Back in the late 1980's the UK, Canada, and Australia dumped their last remaining stockpiles of Enfield bolt rifles onto the surplus market. There were many nice Enfields in that pile, and going dirt cheap, back then we were buying them like people are buying Mosins today. At least I know I was buying them :) This rifle is probably from that haul.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The black paint traces are correct on the rifle, that's what was used both on new rifles and refurbished ones during and after the war.
Theodore Roosevelt
Mrs.Matt72601

Post by Mrs.Matt72601 »

Thats awesome! :biggrin: I love hearing the history of these rifles. It defiintely wast dirt cheap...but was absolutely worth every penny! Thanks for the history on it! :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That's the history of how it ended up here, the real history of the N04 Mk1 is a long and storied one, WW2, and Korea. There are many books available on the subject, covering both this rifle, the No1 MKIII that preceded it, and the MK2 that followed it as well as a dizzying array of rifles with minor modifications made along the way. The Lee-Enfield story would be one of them, a search on Amazon should turn a copy up.
Theodore Roosevelt
Mrs.Matt72601

Post by Mrs.Matt72601 »

I will most definitely be looking for it! Thank You!
Matt72601

Post by Matt72601 »

So now that I have the wife addicted my Mosin collection can safely grow........ hahahaha