Ultra deep carry on a budget

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
osyb

Ultra deep carry on a budget

Post by osyb »

I'm exploring the option of getting a concealed carry handgun suited for deep cover based on a tight budget. If budget wasn't a concern, I'd get a S&W 340PD .357mag without hesitation. I've shot one many times, often times with carry type loads. I can handle it. Unfortunately, it's ungodly expensive. It's worth every penny but just out of my price range.

The philosophy of use of this is to for the first time ever carried a lot and shot a little. I have a minimum cartridge size of 380acp and a budget to where I don't even look at anything with a haggle price of over $450. I'm basing my biggest part of my information on this site (hopefully it's allowed) http://www.best9mm.com/380acp.html and I've narrowed them down in order of price as the following

I.O. Inc Hellcat .380
Taurus PT 738
Bersa Thunder .380 Duo-Tone (Matte/Nickel) Finish
KEL-TEC P-3AT
MPA380P Protector
Ruger LCP
S&W BODYGUARD 380
Diamondback DB380

If anyone can help save me some time reading reviews and just give me some first hand experience with any of these weapons that you might have had. A buddy of a buddy type stories aren't of any serious value.

Obviously .380 is NOT my first choice seeing as how my favorite handgun of all time has got to be the Ruger Alaskan in .454 which I've shot more time than I can count but have only dreamed of owning. Another reason for .380 is that guns of that caliber are cheaper than higher caliber weapons. My best case scenario at this point would be for me to have dual Kel Tec P-3AT/Ruger LCP's with a spare mag for each. This is a caught off guard have no other option but die type deal. I've had the unpleasant experience of learning the hard way that shot placement is key. Short version, a stray dog attack, I shoot once with a 4" 44mag thinking it fall over dead within seconds, he started to charge me instead and I've never been the same since. Worst case scenario, I draw from deep concealment, I fire center mass, run for cover or concealment at best, reload, look for a mobility kill shot or a death shot while looking for a chance to get out of dodge to call for reinforcements. I've CC'd for years, OC'd for a couple more years than that, and have been known for sleeping with everything from a G20 to a full size 4" revolver on my hip. I know the responsibilities of carrying a firearm. I know the possible consequences. I'm ready to take a life to save mine, I'm knowledge and interested enough to know and avoid any trouble with carrying laws. Basically I know everything I need to know about carrying.

However I've always considered 9mm to be a sissy round and anything less laughable as self defense. Bullet technology is advancing though in leaps and bounds, most specifically created around making less than adequate calibers more capable due to better bullets. So while I'm fairly educated on .40cals and above, .380's and such are simply unknown to me. I've only shot one and that was a bersa and it was truly a great experience. Used guns are actually preferred as long as they are of high enough quality to not be damaged by limited use. I also know that 380's and smaller caliber guns often need more of a break in than usual. Let someone else spend that money on break in ammo and let me get the gun at a discounted price. That's my opinion anyway.

As far as 380's (and let's limit it to just 380 autos for now) what are some things I should look for and some things to stay away from. Remember, Deep pocket type concealment is top priority. There's nothing at all wrong with a P-3AT in my opinion and it has a track record to prove it. Is the ruger better in any way? Me and multiple choices don't get along so out of the list above, what can you tell me about them.
Burt Gummer is my hero!
BuckeyeSgt

Re: Ultra deep carry on a budget

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I found a new 738 on sale for $239 and grabbed one. I went for it over the Ruger and Kel-Tec because of the locking slide. I heard about ammo jams so I ran 5 different types through it and with out a problem. I did work the slide a lot before taking it out. Fits great in my front pocket.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

A small snub nose .38 special? You could probably find a used one for a reasonable price. I am a wheelgun guy, and manage to conceal a Ruger GP100 .357 mag when needed. Pea shooters like the .380 will still get the job done if you get in close and place your shots were they will count. The only .380 I know anything about is the Beretta 1934, I took it off some dumb ass kid I caught trespassing and shooting up my place, dam near shot me in the head the little ****, his pistol for his life sounded like a good trade to him. It works, seems simple enough, but they probably run $500 these days as they are a WW2 Italian milsurp. Easy to hide even just carried loose in a pocket.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
osyb

Post by osyb »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Pea shooters like the .380 will still get the job done if you get in close and place your shots were they will count.
Those are the only shots I'll take though, I'll try to evade every time before I ever engage. I'm talking a BG is 3' away with a knife in hand. I slowly and non threateningly reach for what should be my wallet, out comes my concealed carry in the opposite pocket instead. Empty the mag, run like hell and evaluate at that point. A top quality 1911 would be great for some situations, not this one though. If anyone even sees I'm carrying then I've failed my primary mission. It things go bad, even a pea shooter is better than a bunch of bad words.
Burt Gummer is my hero!
osyb

Post by osyb »

BuckeyeSgt wrote:I found a new 738 on sale for $239 and grabbed one. I went for it over the Ruger and Kel-Tec because of the locking slide. I heard about ammo jams so I ran 5 different types through it and with out a problem. I did work the slide a lot before taking it out. Fits great in my front pocket.
The 738 is like a modified version of a mini 1911, right? Never tried a SAO auto, don't know if I'd like it though.
Burt Gummer is my hero!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

At three feet a .380 will turn the BG's brains into jello. The best way to use a pea shooter, and the most dangerous is to have it in full contact with the BG before pulling the trigger. Shove it into his side, back, gut, pull trigger, he gets the bullet and all the rapidly expanding gas behind it dumped right into his body., absolutely devastating.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
osyb

Post by osyb »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:At three feet a .380 will turn the BG's brains into jello. The best way to use a pea shooter, and the most dangerous is to have it in full contact with the BG before pulling the trigger. Shove it into his side, back, gut, pull trigger, he gets the bullet and all the rapidly expanding gas behind it dumped right into his body., absolutely devastating.
Not possible with a semi auto, pressing the gun against the body would push slide out of battery. Not a concern with a revolver and even though I would give a good portion of the left part of my body for a 340pd, and would settle for a 38 snub, but it's not an option I'm considering at the moment. I suspect eventually I will end up with a 38 snub, but I want to explore the 380 autos just because I don't know anything about them and want to educate myself.
Burt Gummer is my hero!
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:A small snub nose .38 special? You could probably find a used one for a reasonable price. I am a wheelgun guy, and manage to conceal a Ruger GP100 .357 mag when needed. Pea shooters like the .380 will still get the job done if you get in close and place your shots were they will count. The only .380 I know anything about is the Beretta 1934, I took it off some dumb ass kid I caught trespassing and shooting up my place, dam near shot me in the head the little ****, his pistol for his life sounded like a good trade to him. It works, seems simple enough, but they probably run $500 these days as they are a WW2 Italian milsurp. Easy to hide even just carried loose in a pocket.
A small frame .38 is going to be the most reliable, there were some decent firearms named though reliability is one of the most important factors to consider I would think, revolvers work. I'm curious about what kind of deep cover you are planning, is this part of your occupation if it's okay to inquire?
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Makarov would be on my list too.
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
osyb

Post by osyb »

I was kind hoping to keep this a little private since it's kind of embarrassing. I've live an extremely isolated life and gotten to the point of wanting to explore a little and live life a bit. I'm an introvert to extreme levels. I'm never had anyone but myself to watch my back and have recently gotten to the point of not being able to relax down past condition red. Home alone, middle of the day, in my chair typing this on the computer and I'm for some reason thinking I need to be prepared for WWIII to start right now. The deep concealment carry option I probably won't even ever get would be a temporary crutch to give me a small piece of comfort in some situations. Before long, it'll simply be downgraded to a car gun which is legal in Virginia which is another reason for the low cost. I dare you to show me a long term car/truck gun that looks good, you can't do it!

And the mak was definitely on my list in the beginning but the lack of recent improvements in bullet technology knocked it off the list. I would like to have one regardless though, hear they're pretty nice.
Burt Gummer is my hero!
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Hornady makes some good Mak ammo.

Hell I sleep with one by the bed and under the pillow. :lol:
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I carry a ruger lcr 357 every day. I love it! They are awesome in 38 +p too. Check them out. I got mine for right around your budget. The trigger is to die for. The best double action trigger I've ever felt in a revolver. The small smith's are great guns as well. The 380 will work. For semi auto I have have the kahr cm9. Awesome tiny little 9mm pistol. Great pistol, although I love my 357 best.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

BuckeyeSgt wrote:Hornady makes some good Mak ammo.

The makarov 9x18 is a pretty hot little round and one straight shooting pistol. I was working in a good size shop a dozen years ago, when Bulgarian Mak's were plentiful and cheap I got a look at the list of approved backup guns for Phoenix PD from some officers I was helping, the Makarov had been added by the dept as an approved backup gun.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
osyb

Post by osyb »

Didn't know about the hornady mak ammo. Might look into that.

Since the general opinion is leaning towards revolvers, the fact I just remembered all the absolutely great things I've heard about the the lcr trigger. Revolvers can be fired inside a coat pocket and such, they're all but jam proof with quality ammo and decent maintenance habits. I'm a wheel gun at heart about the only downsides I can see is the added width and slower reload time. All opinions welcome at this point, wheel guns, autos, .380's or .454's or anything in between. The only limitation is able to be deeply concealed (i.e. pocket carry possible, sob, ankle, or IWB carry possible. Just no full size anythings) and the budget factor. I can't see me paying more than so much for a 380 or a 38 snub. However if I am convinced (extremely easy to do) that a slightly larger more powerful carry option would be a better choice, I don't want to spend more than $600 OTD. The weapon I chose for the longest period of time for concealed carry was a G27 with +4 mag extension. I personally hate glocks because you can't reload out of a stock barrel. NOTE - if you agree to that, you're welcome to that opinion and the 500+ rounds of glock fired brass in my back yard that I wouldn't use if my life depended on it. However this is not going to be a recreational gun, it'll be a CC carried a lot and shot a little gun. I could deal with the barrel. But I'm not sure on going prices of G27's. Regardless of 380 options, regardless of 38 snub options, regardless of damn near anything, if I could afford it but couldn't afford the 340PD, the solution to this dilemma would be a G27 for sure. Small enough to conceal, dead nuts reliable, ergonomic enough to feel like an extension of myself, and able to carry enough firepower to handle any battle I'd ever come across.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Burt Gummer is my hero!
osyb

Post by osyb »

etprescottazusa91 wrote:
BuckeyeSgt wrote:Hornady makes some good Mak ammo.

The makarov 9x18 is a pretty hot little round and one straight shooting pistol. I was working in a good size shop a dozen years ago, when Bulgarian Mak's were plentiful and cheap I got a look at the list of approved backup guns for Phoenix PD from some officers I was helping, the Makarov had been added by the dept as an approved backup gun.
Really gonna have to look into it now. I mean 380 is 9x17, mak is 9x18 and 9mm is 9x19. Some maks are C&R eligible too right?
Burt Gummer is my hero!
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

osyb wrote: Really gonna have to look into it now. I mean 380 is 9x17, mak is 9x18 and 9mm is 9x19. Some maks are C&R eligible too right?
East German and Russian are(not the commercial made Russian ones), another decent set of Mak pistols, Polish P64(C&R) and Polish P-83 Wanad, P-64 is like a Walther PP, but beware, it's kinda rough on the hand webbing, the Wanad is a Polish Makarov copy.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
osyb

Post by osyb »

If I get a mak it'll be for the legendary smooth shooting and unbeatable reliability, which one do I need and how much do they run?
Burt Gummer is my hero!
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Also, the Cz 82 is a very sweet handgun in 9x18, plus higher capacity, 12 rds, runs about 200bucks give or take and C&R. It's probably one of the favorite Makarov chambered pistols. I have two of them, never had an issue.

Just another one to look at and consider, little bigger than a regular Mak, but in my opinion a better piece.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
osyb

Post by osyb »

From what I've said I'm looking for up till now and understanding that I honestly probably shot the G27 better from a natural point better than any other. My best shooting pistol was a limited run edition of a reverse two tone Sig 229 in 40 once again but had the 357 sig barrel along with it. However it took about 2000rds and daily practice to get as good as I did with it. I haven't even touched a G27 for years, I could pick one up right now, only need one mag to practice with and would be able to make combat accurate shots regardless of much of anything. Awesome little gun and I'm simply wondering if I'm so experienced with it, and so comfortable with it, should I try to overlook the cost and go with what I know I like.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Burt Gummer is my hero!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

osyb wrote:I was kind hoping to keep this a little private since it's kind of embarrassing. I've live an extremely isolated life and gotten to the point of wanting to explore a little and live life a bit. I'm an introvert to extreme levels. I'm never had anyone but myself to watch my back and have recently gotten to the point of not being able to relax down past condition red. Home alone, middle of the day, in my chair typing this on the computer and I'm for some reason thinking I need to be prepared for WWIII to start right now. The deep concealment carry option I probably won't even ever get would be a temporary crutch to give me a small piece of comfort in some situations. Before long, it'll simply be downgraded to a car gun which is legal in Virginia which is another reason for the low cost. I dare you to show me a long term car/truck gun that looks good, you can't do it!

And the mak was definitely on my list in the beginning but the lack of recent improvements in bullet technology knocked it off the list. I would like to have one regardless though, hear they're pretty nice.
You in the right place with the right people, people call me paranoid, I sleep with a .45 under my pillow, Trench gun within easy reach, and some other shit that I ain't gonna say or I might ruin someones surprise. I don't go outside at night without a firearm in my hand, I don't answer the door without one, I don't visit the shithouse without one. As I sit here and type there are three loaded weapons within reach, I go out and I pack at least two, my primary sidearm and a backup, sometimes three if I am going someplace I don't like at night. I keep weapons in the car, the truck, the snow plow, we can assume that I got shit hid that I can get to if I needed it. I have been expecting WWIII for 40 or more years and am pleasantly surprised every morning when I wake up and find it hasn't happened yet. My place is monitored with cameras that see in the dark, and a bunch of other stuff I am not telling about. I do have close friends that I would, and have trusted to watch my six, this is not the sort of world were it's safe to be alone. If the shit hits the fan I have people I can depend on, and that is paramount. You worry me a bit in that I get the feeling you are not well prepared for the things you are afraid of, and never walk with fear, scumbags can smell fear, it attracts them like moths to a flame. I walk armed with weapons I know how to use, I never walk in fear I don't give a shit were I am, somebody ****'s with me and I will kill them and go home and sleep like a baby. I have 30 years of walking a deserted scrap yard without lights in the dead of the night, I have confronted thieves and vandals, been shot at, had things swung at my head, and been verbally threatened by shitbirds of all sorts. In the old days I carried a maple wood stick, I would tell those who needed to know that first I am gonna beat them half to death and then finish the job with my sidearm, are you still interested in kicking my ass? Some say that I wasn't a very nice guy when I was younger, maybe so, but it depends on who you talk to, this is a tough life, you have to be tough to survive in it. These day the scumbags I catch go to water at the idea that I might hurt them, and I rarely even threaten any more, just catching them is enough for the lip trembling to start, the stuttering, mumbled excuses, makes me miss the old days.
Paranoid? Welcome to the club, we have cookies :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt