1950 dated Soviet 91/30 Mosin

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
dimon

1950 dated Soviet 91/30 Mosin

Post by dimon »

My apologies if this topic has been discussed on this forum; a quick search didn't show anything similar.
Here is an interesting Mosin for your viewing pleasure. This one appeared to be a "put together" gun from different parts, some of the pre-war manufacturers, like most post-war refurbs. This one bears interesting markings on its barrel shank, an Izhevsk arrow in a triangle and a 1950 date. It also has an Arsenal # 2 stamp. A quick internet search showed at least one similar rifle(gunboards I believe)with the same Cyrillic prefix exists somewhere in Alaska.
It is interesting that the USSR officially never produced 91/30's in 1950. Was it a run made by Izhevsk from the existing parts lot for an unknown client and then ended up at Arsenal # 2 later? Or a run made by Arsenal # 2 from the existing parts lot? In my opinion, these markings are out of the established refurb "specs" at that time so that it could have been an unauthorized initiative of somebody at the Arsenal # 2...Anyway, it looks like some arsenal made many rifles with the 1950 stamp.
Also, the rifle was built on a 1948-dated receiver and fitted with a post-war production barrel. Looking at the bottom of the barrel shank, you can see the steel lot number stamped along the barrel line like on the post-war production carbines, not across, like on pre-war and wartime rifles.
Post your thoughts and the pictures of similar rifles here.
ffuries

Re: 1950 dated Soviet 91/30 Mosin

Post by ffuries »

All the 1950 dated Izhevsk M91/30's seem to have the large Izhevsk logo, and are built on 1948 dated receivers (Presumably M44 receivers). There are several theories out there, but I don't think it's been solved.

One is before the Soviets sent the tooling to Hungary they made a test/trial/training batch, and these are a result of that. Kind of like the Sino-Soviet and Ghost Chinese made Type 56 SKS's built using Soviet parts under Soviet tutelage, until the Chinese started making the parts on their own.

Another theory put forth were a batch made for a foreign customer. Doesn't make sense as they had a ton in storage.

Don't know if any other theories or definitive answers have come up.

2 other examples, pictures found on the internet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
clayshooter2

Re: 1950 dated Soviet 91/30 Mosin

Post by clayshooter2 »

ImageHere is another that one of the old regulars on gunboards (from Alaska) posted about years and years ago.
IIRC his forum handle was AKmilsurp, but I could be slightly off on that; I have had this photo saved for something like 15 years.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.