303 British SP in 7.62 x54r case

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
Exp271

303 British SP in 7.62 x54r case

Post by Exp271 »

So it is almost impossible for me to get 7.62 x54r soft points in my country. They cannot be imported either because of red tape. However, 303 British soft point rounds can be easily got and so can S&B 7.62 x54r FMJ's. I was thinking of buying a Lee Loader and putting the 303 British Soft point bullets into the S&B FMJ case. Primers cant be bought here so I'd have to use the primer and powder from the FMJ case.

Anyway has anyone used 303 British bullets in a Mosin before? I've heard the 303 and 7.62 x54r both use a .311 dia bullet. but Im not sure. I want to hunt with the Mosin but need the soft points.
entropy

Re: 303 British SP in 7.62 x54r case

Post by entropy »

You can't import .310" and .311" bullets (projectiles, not loaded ammo) into your country? I'd try that first before buying loaded ammo and taking it down for the bullets. The Sierra .311 is popular for hunting.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Exp271

Post by Exp271 »

Both the importer and exporter need a special license from the government for me to buy bullets from outside the country. Its almost impossible and no company ever wants to go through that hassle to sell me a couple hundred bullets. Id love to buy Sierra .311's. even buying a reloading press and getting it shipped here would be a difficult task, that's why I was going to get a Lee Loader.

I have contacted a company in the UK that sell the Sierra .311 soft points, so hopefully they can sell them to me. I think I could put them straight into a Sellier and Bellot 180gr FMJ case. Although im not 100% sure.
Exp271

Post by Exp271 »

I've gone through my ammo, I have about 400 rounds of un-shot Sellier and Bellot FMJ rounds. If I could get those sierra's I could just change the bullets out for the soft points. Am I right in saying this? The primer and black powder should stay the same right? I'll basically just take the complete un-shot FMJ round (case, primer, black powder and bullet), remove the fmj bullet, leave the case primer and black powder together and stick in the .311 soft point. The FMJ's are 180 grain too. Am I right in saying this?
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I've loaded Hornady's 174 grain round nose soft point in both 7.62x54r and .303 British. It's a great bullet in either cartridge; .312 diameter.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I have been using .311 Sierra Match kings in my .303 loads.
That pulled soft point bullet should be fine in a Mosin. I think you are going to have to at least neck size those cases to get the bullets to seat correctly.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Exp271

Post by Exp271 »

Yeah I believe I can neck size them with the lee loader. I am new to reloading so please bear with me if I point out something simple.