Classify My PU40 Sniper (what of have here?)

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Spec4

Classify My PU40 Sniper (what of have here?)

Post by Spec4 »

I’m new to the forum and have done some research on this sniper on the site. ( in Research and Preservation section). I would like to know how you would classify this rifle and what characteristics put it in your classification. Who would have been the last person to actually work on this rifle? ( arsenal?, importer?). Purchased this Russian MD91/30 Sniper from S.O.G. International Inc. back in 2013. Rifle is a 1941 Izhevsk with matching serial nos. on receiver shank, butt plate, magazine(original ser.# is lined out and ser. # on shank is stamped in). The side of bolt(with Tula star on top) also has serial no. matching parts mentioned above. A date is penciled in on the inside of the wood fore end. PU scope seems to be all original 1941, with original mount(Tula star w/ machine marks) and also a proper base. Scope cover is black leather appears well worn. Thanks for any input you can provide.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
♦️ CBTRY 5/4 ARTY
Spec4

Re: Classify My PU40 Sniper (what of have here?)

Post by Spec4 »

Correction to this post. The rifle is a 1944
♦️ CBTRY 5/4 ARTY
dallased

Post by dallased »

Sent you an email.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

What do you mean by "Classify"?
I don't understand the question.

Also, you images are taken so far away from the rifle they are not a lot of help.

Darryl
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

Hello....

making any progress..?

at the top of this page is a banner notice labeled RMNF knowledge base.....click on that and be prepared to find a major resource of information on most of the various iterations of mosins....it is a bit overwhelming...but there is a logic to the system of information.....one of the categories is called PU Snipers, written by Mick Toal.....pretty much written in "plain English", as opposed to high-tech talk.....start with that....then just dive-in......welcome aboard.......
Spec4

Re: Classify My PU40 Sniper (what have I got here?)

Post by Spec4 »

Wanting to find out if this is an arsenal refurbishment of a rifle intended to be put back in service or something rebuilt and put in storage after the war. Purchased from SOG so I don’t think “Bubba” had a hand in its remake. Rifle has Tula parts and Izhevsk parts and scope seems to be authentic. Will try to send more detailed pictures in a few days.
♦️ CBTRY 5/4 ARTY
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Show us the import marks please.

Darryl
Spec4

Post by Spec4 »

More pictures have been added on Gunboards. Seems I can add more pictures there.
♦️ CBTRY 5/4 ARTY
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Spec4 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:36 am More pictures have been added on Gunboards. Seems I can add more pictures there.
We are not Gunboard! :x
Spec4

Post by Spec4 »

IMG_3688.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
♦️ CBTRY 5/4 ARTY
Spec4

Post by Spec4 »

IMG_3675.jpeg
IMG_3691.png
IMG_3691.png
♦️ CBTRY 5/4 ARTY
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Is the "ATI" marks the only import marks on this rifle?
Must be other marks also.
I have my problems with this rifle.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=26581

Darryl
Spec4

Post by Spec4 »

I assume you have other pictures I posted here. I’ll look for other important marks. I also have quite a few other pictures of the firearm. What pictures would be of most interest to you?
♦️ CBTRY 5/4 ARTY
Spec4

Post by Spec4 »

IMG_3689.png
♦️ CBTRY 5/4 ARTY
Spec4

Post by Spec4 »

IMG_3698.jpeg
♦️ CBTRY 5/4 ARTY
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Exported by Waffen Schumacher GmbH Krefeld, Germany
Sold here in the USA by SOG
I think this may have been either a Molot or Tulsky sniper rifle.

Waffen Schumacher did a lot of work with Molot to get their snipers out of Russia.
But this one appears to have the "Tulsky" logo on it.

I think most of the Tulsky imports were marked on the right side of the barrel shank and receiver.

This doesn't look like a Molot import because there is no "MOLOT" mention. Those would be marked on the rear left side of the receiver and usually marked KO-91/30.

There should be more import marks that you have not shown.
By this time it was required to have "Made in the RUSSIA" placed somewhere on the rifle with the import marks.

Darryl
Spec4

Post by Spec4 »

I see no Made in Russia or KO 91/30 anywhere on the rifle. The only import mark I see is that from ATI. Quite a few proof marks on stock.
♦️ CBTRY 5/4 ARTY
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

It's hard to determine what this is. The markings on the barrel under the handguard appear to be what the Russians engraved on the Molot 91/30's but not the "2010 Waffschu". First time I've seen this. I suspect this was labeled for the German market. If a Tulsky there should be engravings on the left receiver rail. Sometimes but not always, Molot would use this area as well, i.e., the KO-9130 mention. The <гИс>, CIP Proof Mark, is a Russian engraving that was on all Molots and I believe Tulskys as well. That said, I have some issues with this gun. I would like to see all of the serial numbers. Of importance is the number on the left side of the barrel shank. That should match the scope serial number if this sniper is to have any credibility. The date of the scope is appropriate. What about the bolt?

Here are some photos I saved over the years that show Tulsky and Molot markings on 91/30's, M-38's and M-44's.
Tulsk'y Markings.jpg
Molot Identification-Upload.jpg
Spec4

Post by Spec4 »

Been over this rifle with a fine tooth comb and don’t think I have overlooked any markings. Curious what the number on bottom of barrel shank denotes. Number on scope and left side of barrel shank do not match. Am attaching a few more pictures. Some may be duplicates.
IMG_3685.jpeg
♦️ CBTRY 5/4 ARTY
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I think we could safely say that this scope was not with the rifle in it's original configuration. Does the scope mount (left side of the rifle) have any numbers either stamped or Electro-penciled? If so, does it match any of numbers on the rifle?

The number on the bottom of the barrel shank is likely the steel lot number that this barrel was made from.

The newest and probably the best source on these rifles is here: https://www.m9130.info/reference-section