Pristine Unissued/As-issued 1954 Izhevsk SKS??

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
kodipak

Pristine Unissued/As-issued 1954 Izhevsk SKS??

Post by kodipak »

I was referred to this forum by one of the members over on the Survivors SKS boards. I have read that there are some very rare, rare examples of Russian SKS rifles that are in un-issued condition, similar to the "unissued" Yugos that Cherry's imports sells that were never issued to any military unit. I have a pristine 1954 Izhevsk, that is clearly an as-issued collectors rifle, but I am wanting to make the case that this is an example of an "un-issued" original Russian with the distinction being that the gun was clearly never fired beyond perhaps a one or two round test firing at the range.

Below are some pics for example, I wish I had a macro lens to show you better closeups of the bore, action, and barrel but I swear this thing has never had a round in it other than being test fired at Ishmash, then maybe that was all. But certainly it was never given to a soldier to lug around on patrols. There are no marks in the chamber from feeding rounds into it or any rub marks in the magazine from it ever being loaded. Same with the barrel, all lands and grooves are nothing but chrome. The stock is perfect. If it were issued and rarely shot, it would certainly show more wear than this from being carried to and fro...you would think.

The gun looks nearly as good as my unissued Cherry's import Yugo. Is there anyway to confirm from these pics if this is indeed an original unissued and not an as-issued and used/shot russian? I know the term gets misued alot but I am trying to make the case to distinguish the two. I know those are rare, but this looks like it could be. Certainly we have no proof if it was issued or not, but if there are no signs that it was ever shot, coupled with the condition of the overall gun could that be enough??? Lots a pics, but hopefully they help.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Kodipak
Last edited by kodipak on Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
martin08

Re: Pristine Unissued/Asissued 1954 Izhevsk SKS??

Post by martin08 »

I fixed a few of your photo links for you. If you would like them to show up in your original post, you will need to edit out the "width=600 height =400" from the image code.

No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
martin08

Re: Pristine Unissued/As-issued 1954 Izhevsk SKS??

Post by martin08 »

It looks marvelous, BTW! :D
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

That is a really nice rifle, congrats on finding it, but........................

Dude, you need to cycle a few thousand rounds through that baby to get her broken in!

An unfired rifle is an unhappy rifle!
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
kodipak

Post by kodipak »

I'm fairly new to collecting these. I see alot of guys who would never fire one. Is there any impact to the value in firing one, even a virgin one at that?
martin08

Post by martin08 »

I have never fired mine. Plenty of guns to shoot. Not many collectibles like yours and mine!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I have many unshot guns.....by me that is :lol: I just haven't got to them yet. They are backed up from winter.
Excellant SKS :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :vcool:
Last edited by desdem12 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
howiebearse

Post by howiebearse »

SA1911a1 wrote:That is a really nice rifle, congrats on finding it, but........................

Dude, you need to cycle a few thousand rounds through that baby to get her broken in!

An unfired rifle is an unhappy rifle!
If that was the case my collection would be quite unhappy I have one shooter that I shoot why use as new guns do you have to shoot everything to make it right? I'm saving that for the next owner who will have to pay the price for that privilege to my wife once I have gone on to another place. I have fired thousands of rounds from all manner of Military weapons so I don't find i necessary to mess with each one I have . But whatever floats your boat its your gun and your choice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by howiebearse on Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howiebearse

Post by howiebearse »

that is one really sweet example of a as issued Russian sks the 54 is the easiest to find but still I would leave it alone for its continued value as what it is a collectors piece
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Hello Kodipak! Glad to see you come over here also. An absolute beauty that is. To address your question some what.
First of all, as-issued does not mean it was used a bunch. Some appear as only racked and perhaps never were really fired. Hard to say. It is easy to tell when one has been fired extensively most of the time. But on many others in superb condition, it is hard to say what they are.
You will never get any concensus on which that rifle is. I have three Russians in different years equal to yours in condition. 98 % will say as issued.
Remember, these were never used in war. Nearly all the Russians you see on GB are beat up some because of how they were treated after they got to the US. Most did not come here that way. Ask the Canadians about condition right out of the crate. Personally, I think a few unissued
did go right to storage crates and then did end up here. Proof? There simply is and I doubt there ever will be. Do not let it get to you!
Just be darned glad you have hooked a perfect looking one. What you feel it is, well, no one else should matter.
Would I shoot that rifle? Never. It is an investment. If you shoot it, it will leave a few tell tail marks. It's your rifle to do as you feel best about.
I would protect my investment right now. The prices for these as you know, is going crazy up. Perfect center piece for your collection. :D
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
Dragunov sniper 777

Post by Dragunov sniper 777 »

very nice sks .. :big shock: :Drool1: :thumbsup:
i am so poor i can only afford mustard and biscuits three times a week ..
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Wow, that SKS is gorgeous. Very nice! Congrats, and welcome to the forum :)

:Drool1:
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the forum, very nice Soviet SKS :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Simo

Post by Simo »

OMFG!!!!!!! :shock: :beek: :Drool1:
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." -Declaration of Independence
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Nice safe queen. Now I know what my 51 Tula might have looked like 5 lifetimes ago.
Drago

Post by Drago »

Kodi, first off, welcome over here! Second, I'm thinking I should NEVER have advised you to jump on that worthless POS and then stole it out from under you!! j/k! When it comes to specimens like yours, I really don't think they can get any better. Maybe if you had a photo of Mr. Siminov kissing it and the photo showed the serial number, too. Past that, it's simply perfect. So glad one of the good guys got it. I know you'll treasure it and properly care for it, perhaps to the chagrin of your spouse!
junkmanted

Post by junkmanted »

looks like a non referb to me ,,
very nice gun
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: Very good pics, it looks unissued to me, but I will defer to the SKS experts on that .
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

One thing is obvious, if the cover was removed for cleaning great care was given not to cause scratches from the cover latch pin. Very nice.
dou44

Post by dou44 »

sweet rifle.would be my safe queen :thumbsup: