What to do?

"Off The Regular Topic" Items Forum
Rowdy1

What to do?

Post by Rowdy1 »

Just got out of the hospital. I have been in since before Thanksgiving. I was diagnosed with CHF. They want to implant a pacer and defibrillator. I also need a rotator cuff repaired. They sent me home and told me you need to decide what you want to do. I turn 80 in a few weeks and not sure if all this is worth it. I will be getting help at home. One thing they hooked me up with it the local hospice. They have a service that is completely covered by Medicare. A couple times a week a nurse and social worker will come and check on me. I only thought you were on your death bed to use them. Anyway need to make a decision as what to do.
SA1911a1

Re: What to do?

Post by SA1911a1 »

Dang, boy. I would be posing the question to my doctor. Only he or she and you know all of the details. You get the best information available and then make an informed decision on what to do. It is your life to do with as you see fit. I have used up my three score and ten, but if the doctor told me that I would have a better quality of life with a defib, I would get the defib, but that is just me. Better a little shock ever now and again than the shock of showing up early at the Pearly Gates. Only you know what the right thing to do is; use your head then follow your heart.

The rotator thing can be dealt with after you decide what you are going to do about the important stuff.

Hospice ain't necessarily what it used to be. Be thankful that the service is available. It does not mean that folks thing you have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

The pacemaker and defibrillator, with modern techniques, shouldn't be really invasive, quick recovery. And keep you alive. You tried cortisone injection and the stuff after cortisone in the shoulder already ? Mid Atlantic surgical associates has a page showing their procedure making two small incisions for a pacemaker/defib.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Getting a pacemaker or ICD is a really easy and straightforward procedure. You'll spend the night in the hospital after the initial procedure because of the leads being installed, after that when the Pacer/ICD generator needs replaced it's a go home the same day procedure. Because they use the same leads again.

IF you get one and are left handed ask the doc about installing it on the right side versus the left side.

I'm on my 3rd ICD....Typically you go in, and are awake, they numb you, make the incision, form the pocket, run the leads, install the generator. After that it depends on your doctor, mine would knock me out, so they could test the device, after a successful test, close you up, and off to recovery. Some doctors just close you and don't test it.

I guess this next part is something you need to discuss with your loved ones and doctors. Weight the pros and cons, advantages and disadvantages, etc.

Will this procedure help my quality of life?

Will this just be a bandaid that will extend my life and suffering?

What type of life can I expect after it's implanted?

Are you going to be put on meds with this? IE I was diagnosed with AFib in Dec 2014 and was placed on Amiodarone. This med WILL cause Pulmonary Fibrosis, my recent Cardiac Ablation to control my AFib, will get me off that med, and end that concern.

For some older people an ICD/Pacer can be a great thing, but for some not.

My first ICD was installed in Aug 2006, at age 39 and as I said I'm on my third one. Without it, I never would have made it to age 55 (Dec 2021). When I got my first one I was told either get it or finish planning my funeral as I had two feet in the grave....! That was a hard pill to swallow!

I wish you luck with your decision, keep us posted! Check your PMs, I sent you my number, in case you want to talk to someone that's been through it.
Last edited by ffuries on Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

would it be fair to say that ROWDY is a poor description of your current activities...?
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

tomaustin wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:51 pm would it be fair to say that ROWDY is a poor description of your current activities...?
This damn covid has got me rowdy much hell fire. I froze for about 3 days, then cough and diarrhea set in. I coughed up gravy like shit every two minutes last nite, for hours. Now mostly rowdy from being in the house 6 days and can't go out in this cold white slop.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Sorry to hear about your troubles, sounds like a shit sandwich for sure. My medial degree comes out of a crackerjack box so I will shut my mouth on that subject and leave it to you and your Doctors. You a grown man, you know what's best for your needs, and I hope it works out for you. My late employer was diagnosed with CHF in his late 70's, he made it to 92 years. He remained as active as he could until three months from the end, working daily cleaning scrap at the tool bench that's just four feet from where I am right now. He got to meet his great grandkids, and everyone who knew him was happy that he stuck around as long as he did. He was WWII combat infantry, he fought to the bitter end. Good luck to you with whatever you decide.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

A buddy of mine had a defibrillator put in just before Christmas and was home by Christmas. Back to his regular activities just after New Years. YMMV, Good luck regardless
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Rowdy1

Post by Rowdy1 »

ffuries wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:49 pm Getting a pacemaker or ICD is a really easy and straightforward procedure. You'll spend the night in the hospital after the initial procedure because of the leads being installed, after that when the Pacer/ICD generator needs replaced it's a go home the same day procedure. Because they use the same leads again.

IF you get one and are left handed ask the doc about installing it on the right side versus the left side.

I'm on my 3rd ICD....Typically you go in, and are awake, they numb you, make the incision, form the pocket, run the leads, install the generator. After that it depends on your doctor, mine would knock me out, so they could test the device, after a successful test, close you up, and off to recovery. Some doctors just close you and don't test it.

I guess this next part is something you need to discuss with your loved ones and doctors. Weight the pros and cons, advantages and disadvantages, etc.

Are you going to be put on meds with this? IE I was diagnosed with AFib in Dec 2014 and was placed on Amiodarone. This med WILL cause Pulmonary Fibrosis, my recent Cardiac Ablation to control my AFib, will get me off that med, and end that concern.

My first ICD was installed in Aug 2006, at age 39 and as I said I'm on my third one. Without it, I never would have made it to age 55 (Dec 2021). When I got my first one I was told either get it or finish planning my funeral as I had two feet in the grave....! That was a hard pill to swallow!

I wish you luck with your decision, keep us posted! Check your PMs, I sent you my number, in case you want to talk to someone that's been through it.
Mike thanks so much for all the info and your phone. Besides the CHF I also have pulmonary hypertension. My lungs keep making blood clots so it’s getting harder to breathe every day. I have had a great life and have enough so I decided to left nature take it’s course
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Rowdy1 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:44 pm
ffuries wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:49 pm Getting a pacemaker or ICD is a really easy and straightforward procedure. You'll spend the night in the hospital after the initial procedure because of the leads being installed, after that when the Pacer/ICD generator needs replaced it's a go home the same day procedure. Because they use the same leads again.

Mike thanks so much for all the info and your phone. Besides the CHF I also have pulmonary hypertension. My lungs keep making blood clots so it’s getting harder to breathe every day. I have had a great life and have enough so I decided to left nature take it’s course
Rowdy, I know it was a hard decision to make, and wish you all the best. I have CHF, Afib, COPD and I'm amazed that I get around as well as I do. But I know sometime in the future I will be in your shoes. I just hope I have the strength to make the decision, when it comes.

Keep us posted......and God bless you and your family.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Rowdy1 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:12 pm Just got out of the hospital. I have been in since before Thanksgiving. I was diagnosed with CHF. They want to implant a pacer and defibrillator. I also need a rotator cuff repaired. They sent me home and told me you need to decide what you want to do. I turn 80 in a few weeks and not sure if all this is worth it. I will be getting help at home. One thing they hooked me up with it the local hospice. They have a service that is completely covered by Medicare. A couple times a week a nurse and social worker will come and check on me. I only thought you were on your death bed to use them. Anyway need to make a decision as what to do.
Peace be with you. Psalm 1