AK-47 and AR-15 difference

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Johngrey8220

AK-47 and AR-15 difference

Post by Johngrey8220 »

Is the AK-47 modular in the same way that the AR-15 is? Is it possible to swap components across AKs?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: AK-47 and AR-15 difference

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Not modular like the AR, sometimes it's possible to swap components, but not often given how many different countries made the AK for over 70 years. Two entirely different weapons platforms.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

One you can play in the mud with, one you can't.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

In theory you can can have one multi caliber AR lower, and have a collection of different uppers that you can install on that one lower and use it. Making many rifles from one, but technically only having one rifle (The lower is the rifle).

Plus there are all the different furniture options for the AR that allow you to turn it into a Swiss Army Knife per se, by adding just about anything you want. You can mix and match in reality.

With AKs, AKMs and their derivatives you don't have the option of an easy upper swap like in the AR. While there are options for furniture swaps, I don't know how much accessories you can add on one. Another issue as the rifles were updated by the manufacturers over the years, a lot of main components changed, making it hard to use parts from a later AK style rifle on an older AK style rifle with out modifications. Longer barrels, shorter barrels, different muzzle breaks or flash hiders etc.

Don't get me wrong I love my WASR 10 AKM wearing surplus Romanian furniture, Looks like what an AKM should look like and what our enemies carried. I love my ARs (Faux M16A2 and FAUX M16 604), they look like the rifles I carried......But if you are looking for something to "Bling out" with flashlights, laser sights, ACOG, etc, etc an AR is your best bet. That said there are sites out there that focus on taking an AR and bringing it to the next level. Where you can get a lot of ideas and help, as they have done almost everything possible and then some.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member