M44

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Tula44

M44

Post by Tula44 »

Hope everyone here is having a good weekend. I have one of my M44s out of the safe and thought I'd share it with you all!
1944 Izhevsk, nothing too special but it's a beautiful rifle! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ffuries

Re: M44

Post by ffuries »

When it comes to M44s there's nothing not to love......
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

That one looks nice. A M44 is what got me into this hobby so I do have a soft spot for them.

One of these days I will encounter just the right Tula M44 myself!
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

ffuries wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:05 pm When it comes to M44s there's nothing not to love......
They're great rifles and I like the look of the attached bayonet.
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

TnBuckeye wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:20 pm That one looks nice. A M44 is what got me into this hobby so I do have a soft spot for them.

One of these days I will encounter just the right Tula M44 myself!
It's a nice little rifle. Several months ago I picked up a nice looking Tula M44 :thumbsup:
FalloutMaster

Post by FalloutMaster »

I've been wanting a mosin carbine for a while! Sadly the price has skyrocketed on these rifles. Nice rifle OP, the stock looks to be in excellent condition!
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

FalloutMaster wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:50 pm I've been wanting a mosin carbine for a while! Sadly the price has skyrocketed on these rifles. Nice rifle OP, the stock looks to be in excellent condition!
Keep your eyes open and look at gun shows, gun shops, pawn shops, online auction sites, and online gun vendors.

I think the prices have hit their apex, while realized prices were high a few months ago, they havd leveled off, and now they seem to be dropping slowly. There are some selling in the mid $300.00s right now. The ones with the $600.00 plus BINs are sitting there un-sold.

So it seems the quick get rich panic sales have slowed down. Will they go back to the pre panic prices probably not, but they'll drop, and there are still deals to be have if you look long enough and hard enough.

Good luck!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I like M44s, in the way back days I liked them so much myself, RONGO and JYD I think raced to see who could collect all 8 of the dates they made them. I may see if I can dig them out for a group show. I did buy my 1944 Tula M44 from RONGO as he had 2.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Nothing like firing one at dusk. Fireball like you wouldn't believe.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

FalloutMaster

Post by FalloutMaster »

ffuries wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:10 pm
FalloutMaster wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:50 pm I've been wanting a mosin carbine for a while! Sadly the price has skyrocketed on these rifles. Nice rifle OP, the stock looks to be in excellent condition!
Keep your eyes open and look at gun shows, gun shops, pawn shops, online auction sites, and online gun vendors.

I think the prices have hit their apex, while realized prices were high a few months ago, they havd leveled off, and now they seem to be dropping slowly. There are some selling in the mid $300.00s right now. The ones with the $600.00 plus BINs are sitting there un-sold.

So it seems the quick get rich panic sales have slowed down. Will they go back to the pre panic prices probably not, but they'll drop, and there are still deals to be have if you look long enough and hard enough.

Good luck!
I think you're dead on about pawn shops and gun shows being the way to go right now. Sadly many online retailers are just price gouging pretty much any firearm right now and the gunbroker listings are all ridiculous. One has to really hunt for these rifles now! I'd love to have a Finn too but those are going for like a grand these days.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I did collect all the dates of the M44, 1943-1948, plus extras for Tula 1944, and the Hungarian, Romanian, Chinese, and Polish versions. Plus a few because they had nice laminated stocks. They were never as cheap as the 91/30's, except for the type 53's, and none were cheap even before the current situation. Carbines are always popular with collectors and shooters, even longer carbines like the M38-M44's They are produced in lower numbers than the infantry rifles, and get snapped up fastest when they come on the market. The Soviets made more carbines that anyone except us with the M1 carbine ( we are not including the Mauser K98k here) They even elected to use the M44 as the infantry weapon after the war, as did the Chinese and Soviets' buffer states. You might get lucky and score one for a couple of hundred bucks, but at least four hundred for a nice one is probably the lowest you will see one even after the current thing ends, if it ever ends.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

Keep searching around and I'm sure you would be able to find a decent deal! :thumbsup:
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

Longcolt44 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:34 pm I like M44s, in the way back days I liked them so much myself, RONGO and JYD I think raced to see who could collect all 8 of the dates they made them. I may see if I can dig them out for a group show. I did buy my 1944 Tula M44 from RONGO as he had 2.
Look forward to possibly seeing the group photo :thumbsup:
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

Ironnewt wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:21 pm Nothing like firing one at dusk. Fireball like you wouldn't believe.
It never gets old seeing the fireball from one of these carbines :D
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I am also fond of the shorties. In fact, I have lived all my life with one.

I am missing a '48 and a Tula. I don't have a big collection of '44s/53s, but I do have some nice ones. The photo features rifles from The Soviet Union, Hungary, Romania, Poland, and China. By a stroke of luck I ended up with two matching Chinese rifles. The three on the left are a 91/59 and two M-38s.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

SA1911a1 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:38 am I am also fond of the shorties. In fact, I have lived all my life with one.

I am missing a '48 and a Tula. I don't have a big collection of '44s/53s, but I do have some nice ones. The photo features rifles from The Soviet Union, Hungary, Romania, Poland, and China. By a stroke of luck I ended up with two matching Chinese rifles. The three on the left are a 91/59 and two M-38s.
That is a GREAT looking collection!! That's the type of gun rack that I would like to have :thumbsup:
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

SA1911a1 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:38 am I am also fond of the shorties. In fact, I have lived all my life with one.

Steve, when's the yard sale.....?

I've got two M44s a '47 Izhevsk (Numbers matching) and a '54 Romanian (Numbers matching), then the beat up angry beaver rabid dog chew toy '55 Chinese Type 53 (Mismatch). Need to add more on the shorties to the stable.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member