Went to buy my first today, ended up with two

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Tatumj96

Went to buy my first today, ended up with two

Post by Tatumj96 »

Decided about a week ago that I wanted a Mosin to shoot. I ended up deciding I wanted an M39, and luckily found a guy not too far away. Went to meet him today, and he brought a few different variations as well. Ended up with a 1944 Sako M39, and a 91/30 I believe. I think the M39 has all matching numbers, I'll have to double check.

My camera sucks, but I'll try to attach pictures. Hoping to get to the range Thursday, I found 20 rounds of non-corrosive 7.62x54r to get started with.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Went to buy my first today, ended up with two

Post by Longcolt44 »

A good start to a nice collection.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

“... I don’t know dear, they just followed me home...honest!”

😎

In all seriousness, that’s a nice start to your collection and I bet you have some fun at the range. I really enjoy shooting the M39 but you may also be pleasantly surprised by the 91/30. Report back and let us know how it goes!
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Nice way to start. Classy firearms!
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

It's like potato chips. "I bet you can't eat just one"! :chuckles:

Well, nice buy!

Darryl
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

let us know which one shoots best :wink:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
bogozzo

Post by bogozzo »

Guns are great and I love the case .. did it come with or did you fit it?
Tatumj96

Post by Tatumj96 »

bogozzo wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:49 pm Guns are great and I love the case .. did it come with or did you fit it?
I bought it shortly before I went to buy the guns. Something in the back of my mind must've known I was buying two guns, because I got the two rifle case. It's a Pelican V800 Vault. I traced everything with a sharpie and cut it out with my sharpest kitchen knife.
bogozzo

Post by bogozzo »

Nice work.
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

be advised, there have been threads about the long-term storage of firearms in the foam lined cases....it has been reported that it will damage the finish and the stocks.......the suggestions were to setup a list as a reminder to open your cases on a monthly basis and look them over. I have very few stored in that type of case...but I do use them to transport weapons on a trip for hunting and the practice range.....enjoy those new toys.......Tom
Tatumj96

Post by Tatumj96 »

tomaustin wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:51 am be advised, there have been threads about the long-term storage of firearms in the foam lined cases....it has been reported that it will damage the finish and the stocks.......the suggestions were to setup a list as a reminder to open your cases on a monthly basis and look them over. I have very few stored in that type of case...but I do use them to transport weapons on a trip for hunting and the practice range.....enjoy those new toys.......Tom
Hmm, I hadn't thought about that. I'm gonna get some pelican desiccant packs to put in the case, and was thinking about two zerust VC2-2 to put in there to protect them.
Tatumj96

Post by Tatumj96 »

I took the M39 to the gunsmith and dropped it off. Previous owner said he wasn't even sure he had fired it since he bought it about 20 years ago, and it had some rust in the bore. Gonna get it cleaned and inspected. The 91/30 seemed in pretty great shape except for some pitting on the outside of the receiver so I took it to the range for a few test shots. Here are some pictures after I cleaned it up, as well as some of the markings. Seems like a mix of Izhevsk and Tula parts, but numbers match.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tatumj96 on Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tatumj96

Post by Tatumj96 »

More pics
Tatumj96

Post by Tatumj96 »

More pics
Tatumj96

Post by Tatumj96 »

Bore pics. Barrel was off and no bullets around.
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

Tatumj96 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:35 pm
bogozzo wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:49 pm Guns are great and I love the case .. did it come with or did you fit it?
I bought it shortly before I went to buy the guns. Something in the back of my mind must've known I was buying two guns, because I got the two rifle case. It's a Pelican V800 Vault. I traced everything with a sharpie and cut it out with my sharpest kitchen knife.
That's really cool. I was wondering about the case too. Thought it was neat it even had a place for the ammo pouch lol.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

The Sako will outshoot the '43. .309 bore vs. 311 bore. Plus the Sako is all bound down in wood and clamp type bands so it can't whip as much. Nice pair.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

Great start! I still remember my first and second, bought them about a week apart. Go ahead a get you a large safe. They are addictive.😃
rice paddy daddy

Post by rice paddy daddy »

I do not leave any of my rifles in cases.
It is best to leave them exposed to air.
I've been doing that for 62 years with no ill effects.
Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, Vietnam Veterans of America, American Legion, AMVETS, Society of the 5th Infantry Division