Tokarev question

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
steelbuttplate

Tokarev question

Post by steelbuttplate »

My Romy Tokarev is hanging 1-2 rounds per mag, with ball or HP. I've polished the feed ramp, tried several different mags, greased the slide. The recoil spring may be weak. Does it need to be stretched or compressed ? I've found a new one to order but want to try this first.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Tokarev question

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Shitty ammo? Have you tried a different brand?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:32 pm Shitty ammo? Have you tried a different brand?
Three kinds, including Romanian ball. The round is hanging at the feed ramp, pull the slide back and it's going again. Three different magazines, including a factory new old stock Russian. The question is, to make the spring stronger, does it need to be stretched, or compressed ? The purpose of the spring is to return the slide after the blow back, right? So to compresse it and make it tighter would make it work better ? Am I right ?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

steelbuttplate wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:42 pm
Junk Yard Dog wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:32 pm Shitty ammo? Have you tried a different brand?
Three kinds, including Romanian ball. The round is hanging at the feed ramp, pull the slide back and it's going again. Three different magazines, including a factory new old stock Russian. The question is, to make the spring stronger, does it need to be stretched, or compressed ? The purpose of the spring is to return the slide after the blow back, right? So to compresse it and make it tighter would make it work better ? Am I right ?
I am unfamiliar with these pistols, we need one of the gunsmiths to chime in on this question. Springs get weak with age and use, coil or flat springs. When this happens on musket locks, or other mechanical devices I replace the suspect spring with a new one.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I found a video of a 1903 Browning in operation, very similar in design. The spring getting compressed in the blowback pushes the slide forward, so just the opposite of what I was thinking. Stretching the spring would make it stronger. Gunsmiths please tell I'm right. :bonk:
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

steelbuttplate wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:12 pm I found a video of a 1903 Browning in operation, very similar in design. The spring getting compressed in the blowback pushes the slide forward, so just the opposite of what I was thinking. Stretching the spring would make it stronger. Gunsmiths please tell I'm right. :bonk:
I stretched the spring 1&1/2 " longer than it was, stuffed it back in the gun. I ran 1 mag of HP PPU and 3 mags Romanian ball thru it with no feed failure. :2cents:
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

steelbuttplate wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:37 am
steelbuttplate wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:12 pm I found a video of a 1903 Browning in operation, very similar in design. The spring getting compressed in the blowback pushes the slide forward, so just the opposite of what I was thinking. Stretching the spring would make it stronger. Gunsmiths please tell I'm right. :bonk:
I stretched the spring 1&1/2 " longer than it was, stuffed it back in the gun. I ran 1 mag of HP PPU and 3 mags Romanian ball thru it with no feed failure. :2cents:
Guess that means it could use a new spring, as the original seems to be getting tired in its old age......
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Longcolt44 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:54 pm Here is your fix, https://www.gunsprings.com/TOKAREV/cID1/mID68/dID294
Thanks Longcolt, I was about to pay more for the one spring than one of those service packs. Great deal.
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

Springs that have weakened with age are generally only weakened further by stretching them. Keep an eye on it.
I'm just here for the free coffee mug and tee shirt. :vcool:
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

steelbuttplate wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:58 pm
Longcolt44 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:54 pm Here is your fix, https://www.gunsprings.com/TOKAREV/cID1/mID68/dID294
Thanks Longcolt, I was about to pay more for the one spring than one of those service packs. Great deal.
Only attempt this in a place where you can find your parts when they go flying about. It takes several attempts and a good deal of cussing to get these back together with new springs. :2cents:
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

steelbuttplate wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:58 pm
The company is having a slow turnaround right now. I have had a spring pack on order for over three weeks. But it will come.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
petros600

Post by petros600 »

I had similar issues with my Yugo M57's and replacing the spring solve the problem. I believe wolf is offering recoil springs for TT's