Laminated Steel ?

Everything shotgun discussed here.
Ironnewt

Laminated Steel ?

Post by Ironnewt »

I recently acquired a SxS 12 gauge that says "Laminated Steel" on the top of the rib. Older firearm, "Richards" on both locks, various proof marks on underside of barrels. Any ideas?
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Laminated Steel ?

Post by millman »

It is Damascus steel. They used to wrap a bunch of wires around a mandrel, and heat them and forge the wires into a tube, making the barrel. I would recommend not shooting it, as they were not made for smokeless ammo. A blown up gun is distinct possibility with these.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

I thought it might be Damascus steel but getting other information/better options is never a bad idea. Thanks 👍
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You can probably see the wavy look of the steel, sounds like a gun from the BP days. They started losing popularity after 1900, and pretty much gone by the mid teens. W Richards, or just Richards? Westley Richards guns were copied by Belgian knockoff gunmakers so you have to examine the piece carefully. A real Westley Richards gun will always have the full name spelled out on it, anything with an abbreviation of the name is a fake. These were guns churned out by Belgian, and even English gunmakers who violated copyright by stamping names on their guns that were close to well known and expensive guns. Not that the guns were bad, just not built to the same quality as the high end brands, they tended to shoot loose over time, and have lower quality wood. I have many lower end US and Belgian guns, splintered wrist's, loose breech, that sort of thing is common, my original model 1889 Remington is rock solid after well over 120 years. The same can be said for the higher end Belgian guns, when paid to do so the larger Belgian gunmakers could turn out a product as good as anyone's. With guns like anything else, you do get what you pay for.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt