Belgian scattergun

Everything shotgun discussed here.
steelbuttplate

Belgian scattergun

Post by steelbuttplate »

This double is I guess what they call a coach gun, 22" barrels. It's tight and clean. Wm. Parkhurst Belgium. Lighter than I thought it would be. :hunter:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Belgian scattergun

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That is definitely one of the better quality offerings out of the Belgian gunmakers, and it looks to be in excellent condition. Any crap repairs around the lugs in an attempt to tighten up the action? The Belgian gunmakers would make guns to whatever standard a foreign buyer wanted. They all were good enough to pass the required proof test, but some were lower quality and would shoot loose over time pretty badly. What's the chamber size? 2 9/16? Barrel Damascus twist or " fluid" steel? Parkhurst is just a trade name, it means nothing, just sounded good to the importer Schoverling, Daley & Gales. Hammer doesn't mean much either when dating a gun like this, they were still making these right up to the Nazi invasion of 1940. Cool find, I love these old doubles and have closets full of them in every condition from total crap to near new. Belgian, English, USA, and who knows what else.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

It's stamped Fine Damascus. 2& 3/4 chambers . Does that mean later production? The guy I bought it from has been shooting in Cowboy matches for 20 yrs. No sign of tampering with the original, except maybe a firing pin. He used 45 grains black powder loads and also Winchester AA extra light target loads. I don't know about using the smokeless. The bores still look like chrome. It's cool, but won't get shot much.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It does look later production, no back action locks, looks more like a Remington than an English shotgun. My guess post 1905-1910 sometime, Damascus barrels lost popularity quickly after 1900.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Johngrey8220

Post by Johngrey8220 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:58 pm That is definitely one of the better quality offerings out of the Belgian gunmakers, and it looks to be in excellent condition. Any crap repairs around the lugs in an attempt to tighten up the action? The Belgian gunmakers would make guns to whatever standard a foreign buyer wanted. They all were good enough to pass the required proof test, but some were lower quality and would shoot loose over time pretty badly. What's the chamber size? 2 9/16? Barrel Damascus twist or " fluid" steel? Parkhurst is just a trade name, it means nothing, just sounded good to the importer Schoverling, Daley & Gales. Hammer doesn't mean much either when dating a gun like this, they were still making these right up to the Nazi invasion of 1940. Cool find, I love these old doubles and have closets full of them in every condition from total crap to near new. Belgian, English, USA, and who knows what else.
This is one of the best quality offerings from the Belgian gunmakers and it looks like it's in great condition. Importer Schoverling Daley & Gales. Cool find. I love these doubles and have many of them. :thumbsup:
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Double trouble! I like it.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum