Remington M91 carbine

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Jamey76

Remington M91 carbine

Post by Jamey76 »

Have any of guys seen or heard of an M38 or any other carbine from a Remington M91. It has the original M91 rear sight, which I have never seen on a carbine. It's not a Bannerman and definitely doesn't looked Bubba'd. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

willyj73

Re: Remington M91 carbine

Post by willyj73 »

I've seen a Remington and a Westinghouse shortened before. Here is a photo of the Westinghouse from an auction a few years ago. I thought it was a Uulani carbine, but was told it wasn't. Not sure what it was.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mosin Fanboy
neal45

Post by neal45 »

One Remington 91/38 has been reliably reported. It would have the 91/38 style and markings. It would also be very valuable.
Jamey76

Post by Jamey76 »

neal45 wrote:One Remington 91/38 has been reliably reported. It would have the 91/38 style and markings. It would also be very valuable.
Definitely does not have the 91/38 markings.

qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Is this your gun? I'd love to see a bunch of pictures...
Jamey76

Post by Jamey76 »

qz2026 wrote:Is this your gun? I'd love to see a bunch of pictures...
I have a chance to purchase it locally. I'm definitely leaning towards grabbing it.

qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Might be a good idea to get some pictures and run it by the guys here first.
Jamey76

Post by Jamey76 »

Here are the two photos available. ImageImage

willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

The rifle is some kind of bubba gunsmith put together. It's not a 91/38. The 91/38s did not use Konovalov rear sights. And, it has no 91/38 markings. I don't know who would have shortened the barrel. I'm going to guess the elevation is off unless they calibrated the front sight for a specific distance. I personally wouldn't waste any money on that rifle. If you have extra money, you like it, you just want something to stick a 54r cartridge into to listen/feel it go "bang", and the price is cheap ($200 or less), I suppose it wouldn't be bad. But, you can find refurbs for a little more money.
Mosin Fanboy
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

willyj73 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:31 am The rifle is some kind of bubba gunsmith put together. It's not a 91/38. The 91/38s did not use Konovalov rear sights. And, it has no 91/38 markings. I don't know who would have shortened the barrel. I'm going to guess the elevation is off unless they calibrated the front sight for a specific distance. I personally wouldn't waste any money on that rifle. If you have extra money, you like it, you just want something to stick a 54r cartridge into to listen/feel it go "bang", and the price is cheap ($200 or less), I suppose it wouldn't be bad. But, you can find refurbs for a little more money.
Just asking a uneducated question here.....Would someone go through all the trouble to do that and shorten the cleaning rod? Or would a standard M44 cleaming rod work with this setup?
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I can't tell for sure but the front sight looks legit. But, it's hard to tell. Pretty cool little gun I'd say. For the right price, I'd be all over it But, that just me... Whoever did this work, did a really good job. Have to see the crown though.
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

ffuries wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:35 am
willyj73 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:31 am The rifle is some kind of bubba gunsmith put together. It's not a 91/38. The 91/38s did not use Konovalov rear sights. And, it has no 91/38 markings. I don't know who would have shortened the barrel. I'm going to guess the elevation is off unless they calibrated the front sight for a specific distance. I personally wouldn't waste any money on that rifle. If you have extra money, you like it, you just want something to stick a 54r cartridge into to listen/feel it go "bang", and the price is cheap ($200 or less), I suppose it wouldn't be bad. But, you can find refurbs for a little more money.
Just asking a uneducated question here.....Would someone go through all the trouble to do that and shorten the cleaning rod? Or would a standard M44 cleaming rod work with this setup?
Well, it's in a standard stock--standard as in it's standard length (country of origin or rework unknown...also unknown if it's been refinished in the U.S.), so a carbine length cleaning rod will work.
Mosin Fanboy
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

qz2026 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:56 am I can't tell for sure but the front sight looks legit. But, it's hard to tell. Pretty cool little gun I'd say. For the right price, I'd be all over it But, that just me... Whoever did this work, did a really good job. Have to see the crown though.
Yeah, it looks like a Mosin blade sight w/front sight base. But, it's impossible to tell from the photos.
Mosin Fanboy
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I'm gonna keep an eye out for one o them mini-91's. That would make a good family member. I could call him "little Richard"
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
WSarchet

Post by WSarchet »

Raising the dead threadwise here but could these be Civil Guard carbines from the 1920s?
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

If so this one had a wartime stock put on it somewhere.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
WSarchet

Post by WSarchet »

The Armslist one for sure got a new stock, although if it was Finnish no telling what happened to it in their workshops. The auction one though to me looks like a more likely candidate for an original Guard carbine.