The Oak Grove Monster

steelbuttplate

The Oak Grove Monster

Post by steelbuttplate »

I been after this one 3 yrs, I missed him last year offhand 100 yd. in the rain. Today the Ithaca deerslayer and 1 oz. Federal slug found its mark. This ol boy was close to 200 lb. on the hoof. 17 " outside spread *8 POINT, Sonny. Ain't no dang 4x4. A jeep is a 4x4. :wink: And yes, everything seems sideways today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Oak Grove Monster

Post by millman »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

Outstanding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

That looks like a yearling. Does it still have spots? :brolleyes:
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Nice 4 pointer. :D
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

A few weeks ago, I had one of similar size and rack running in front of my truck on a remote dirt road with really high, steep banks. He was kind of hemmed in for about 600 yards, I was calculating his life expectancy knowing hunting season opened in a few days. I have also been watching a pair of turkeys that have taken up residence in a fairly large wooded island on the interstate. The were out by the road every morning pecking and plucking. The last time I saw them was the day before Thanksgiving. Some state trooper may have determined that they were a hazard to the traffic. :D
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

A really nice buck; congratulations! :thumbsup:
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

NICE! :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

SA1911a1 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:27 pm That looks like a yearling. Does it still have spots? :brolleyes:
It's got one bloody spot behind its left shoulder. It's got a mushroomed 12 ga. slug in its right shoulder. I'll post my mushroom collection soon.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Genuine New York Ithaca 37 deerslayer? I like these guns, got a bunch of them in 12 and 16 gauge.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:20 pm :vcool: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Genuine New York Ithaca 37 deerslayer? I like these guns, got a bunch of them in 12 and 16 gauge.
The 12. Shoots like a M-44, makes bigger holes. Slams 180 lb. deer to the ground.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I don't know anyone down here who hunts with a shotgun any more. Most take deer over a corn pile with a scoped, high-power rifle from about 50 yards, which becomes 250 yards in the telling.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

SA1911a1 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:42 am I don't know anyone down here who hunts with a shotgun any more. Most take deer over a corn pile with a scoped, high-power rifle from about 50 yards, which becomes 250 yards in the telling.
I moved my stand 75' further into the thicket where deer were traveling, in the dark the same morning. Too thick for the 198 gr. Mauser Id been using. So thick the monster walked up right below me on my left, couldn't see me for the Holly trees. It stood there 2 minutes and started that high step tippy toe walking trying to sneak off. Seein that really got me riled up. He got 50 ft. away and I'd had enough... :popgun: A hundred yd. shot with this gun is a pretty sure thing.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Is that Ithaca Deerslayer a smooth bore?
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

tjtM38 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:47 pm Is that Ithaca Deerslayer a smooth bore?
Yes, smoothie, JYD can give us a history lesson on these, but I think first made when Ohio opened the first shotgun season, demand was so high for these they just stuck the deerslayer barrel on receivers with ducks and geese.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

steelbuttplate wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:28 pm
tjtM38 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:47 pm Is that Ithaca Deerslayer a smooth bore?
Yes, smoothie, JYD can give us a history lesson on these, but I think first made when Ohio opened the first shotgun season, demand was so high for these they just stuck the deerslayer barrel on receivers with ducks and geese.
One of the most popular guns around since 1937. The deerslayer when you boil it down is the barrel and sights, the barrel is on and off these in a few seconds. You can turn a bird gun into a deer gun very quickly if you want, but Ithaca mostly sold them as a package with various options. The 37 receiver is bottom feed and eject, puts the hulls at your feet, keeps crap from entering the receiver from the side. Lightweight, rock solid action with a steel receiver built to last many human lifetimes with proper care. I would pick one of these over any other gun except the Winchester 1897, if I had to select just one commercial sporter shotgun. The Winchester don't count there as it's a military trench gun, a milsurp.

It's BP and shotgun only hunting around here, cover tends to be too close most areas to use a long distance weapon effectively anyway.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Sonny wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:29 pm Are you guys restricted to shotgun only deer hunting?

Up here we are restricted to no rifle smaller than .23 cal.. But then our population density is a lot less up here.

Most popular here are .270 .30-30 .308 .30-06 .300wm and 7mm. But the 7mm-08 is really popular with kids and lady hunters due to low recoil.
Some states are limited to shotguns only, but it varies state to state. I don't think Steelbuttplate is in North Carolina, and we aren't in Kentucky, but Indiana used to be, and perhaps still is. Like I said, it varies.
We do have different seasons as to what you can hunt with. A bow season, A muzzleloading season, a modern gun season, etc.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You forgot car and truck season, that ones open every day of the year, nights also, any weather, no special training needed. Points added if the deer comes through the windshield and ends up in your lap, total disintegrations due to the use of a semi truck don't count.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:30 am You forgot car and truck season, that ones open every day of the year, nights also, any weather, no special training needed. Points added if the deer comes through the windshield and ends up in your lap, total disintegrations due to the use of a semi truck don't count.
People that turn up their nose at road kill, have never tried any good road kill. Get em while their still kicking, stick a pistol in their ear, don't use parts that look bruised when you skin it. :BBQ:
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

steelbuttplate wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:30 am You forgot car and truck season, that ones open every day of the year, nights also, any weather, no special training needed. Points added if the deer comes through the windshield and ends up in your lap, total disintegrations due to the use of a semi truck don't count.
People that turn up their nose at road kill, have never tried any good road kill. Get em while their still kicking, stick a pistol in their ear, don't use parts that look bruised when you skin it. :BBQ:
Dont care how good someone claims it to be, we don't eat roadkill in the Northeast.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk