WASR 10 Furniture Removal

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
ffuries

WASR 10 Furniture Removal

Post by ffuries »

Found some new furniture for the WASR, should be here tomorrow. It's surplus RomanIan furniture with the trap door in the buttstock.

Looking online I see how hard it is getting the furniture off. Is it really that hard or is it exaggerated? Any suggestions, hints, tricks or tips? If it comes in early enough I'll tackle it tomorrow, if not it'll have to be done after my doctor's appointment on Thursday.

While I'll keep the blonde furniture in case I sell it or pass it on to one of the yard-apes. One reason why I didn't want to refinish the stock, maybe it's the purist attitude I've come to adopt from being on this forum, but I didn't want to permanently alter the appearance. But I wanted the rifle to have a more traditional look, to represent what our enemies carried while I was downrange. So a furniture swap fit the ticket.

Found the furniture at Atlantic Firearms, being it's a complete furniture set I jumped on it. Plus it will match the Romanian bayonet handle.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/produc ... -stock-set
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: WASR 10 Furniture Removal

Post by Longcolt44 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Longcolt44 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:53 pm :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I'll do the requisite pre and post stock swap pictures, here on this post.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

I have a MAK 90 with the thumbnails stock that I switched out. The top hand guard split lengthwise when I tried to take it off the metal. I was replacing it anyway, but just be careful as the wood may be thin or dry and brittle.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Well the furniture showed up. Looks real good after inspection.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Took an hour to get the buttstock off. Even with being careful, going slow and only using my hands and I still managed to break a small chunk out of it. I'll glue the chip back tomorrow and set it aside to dry.

I tell you, this yellow wood is soft, you can feel the weight difference when you compare them. Out of curiosity I'm going to weigh them tomorrow and see what the difference is. Curious as to what this light yellow wood is.

Hopefully I'll finish de-stocking it tomorrow, and get it put back together. Tried to put the new buttstock on today, but it was real tight going in. Going to compare the ends tomorrow and see if I need to sand it a bit.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member