What powders are you using for reloading for Mosins

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
Willchef

Re: What powders are you using for reloading for Mosins

Post by Willchef »

Flyinggage wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:44 am Where is a good place to find x54 cases? I would be interested in doing a little reloading for my M44.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you're still looking for brass, midway usa has Lapua brass for sale by the 100.
JK956

Post by JK956 »

I predominantly shoot cast through my milsurps.
I found that #2400 under a Lee 185gr .312” RNGC shoots better than any FMJ and approaches accuracy of PPU new soft point ammo.
Besides, I’ve got a good stock of primers and powders. And lead, of course!
BT-delete

Post by BT-delete »

Right now using 38 grains AA2520- mainly because its spherical powder and I can consistently run it through my case drop dispenser since I'm lazy. 38grains provides a softer shooting session. In winter I'll switch to IMR4895. I would really like to try those IMR Enduron powders, but there is so little reloading data on them.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Lotema wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:50 am H4895 is generally my go-to powder for the Mosin. Works well in the carbines as well as the longer variants. I've also used 4064 and Varget with good success.
:pointup: :pointup:
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I just take a BC powder and I come back strong.....
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Eddie Southgate

Post by Eddie Southgate »

I haven't loaded any in the last few years but did load for my Finn's . I used VV N 550 and either 180 or 200 grain bullets. Don't know about the Russians as I always shot surplus in them. The Finns really like the 200 grain Matchkings and the Lapua Scenar 200 grain bullets . Most seemed to prefer the Matchking.With the heavier bullets they were right on at 100 yards with the bottom sight setting.
Grumpy Old Man With A Gun,,,,, Do Not Touch.
Better to be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six.
No Good Smith

Post by No Good Smith »

entropy wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:58 pm IMR 4064 and Varget are the two I have used, both with good results.
I havn't loaded the Mosen before. Sounds like the 4064 is a good choice.
Thank you sir!
Ng
tod+1

Post by tod+1 »

I have not loaded any Mosin brass yet, but I watched a YouTube video "Johnny's Reloading Bench" He used Reloader 15 with good results! I believe 43.5 grains? The video shows him working up a load with different bullets. Worth watching!

Tod
mmorbid0000

Post by mmorbid0000 »

I just shot my first reloads today in a plain old Mosin 1936 round receiver. Varget is the only things I could find locally, so 45 grains of that over 2 different bullets gave VERY consistent results. Since this is the first non surplus ammo I've shot, the differences were obvious. One, they all shot way higher than surplus ammo at 75 yards, almost 6" higher than I was expecting. Two, as one other guy at the range commented "it looked like a Mosin, but there was no fireball?"
Bullets:
Hornady Interlock #3130 - 303 Cal .312" 174gr RN + 45gr Varget
Speer Hot-Cor #2217 - 303Brit Cal .311" 15ggr Spitzer SP + 45gr Varget

Despite shooting 30 of each, the barrel was still CLEAN! Both a dry and a wet patch both came out clean compared to surplus ammo.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I use IMR 4064 for .303, so I would try that.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis