The Last Enfield

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
steelbuttplate

The Last Enfield

Post by steelbuttplate »

I got this one when times were hard, around 2009. It shows light use, maybe because the safety was flopping and keeping it from cycling. No import marks. New Zealand had these in Viet Nam. Possible GI trade and duffle bag bring back to the states ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: The Last Enfield

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Gibbs rifle company was making these in the early 90's and passing them off as something they called the no7 carbine. I have it's twin, back before the internet you could get fucked over with this sort of thing. In 2009 the internet existed, how did you get stuck with this? Never heard NZ importing any 7.62mm Enfields from Rifle Factory Ishapore India. The wood and paint are in the condition they left the Gibbs Bubba factory in, this never saw a duffle bag, or any part of Vietnam. This was made from cutting down a regular 7.62mm 2A rifle, and adding some of the No5 carbine parts being reproduced at the time. It may shoot straight, maybe not, Gibbs was a crap shoot quality wise like the Century creations.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Does it say Gibbs on it somewhere ? And black is bad ? Bully. A $250 FrankEnfield ? it shoots ok. and you can stuff 10 rnd clips of M 80 in it fast.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
kjohn

Post by kjohn »

Well, you've got it now, so enjoy it. $250? Not a bad price, compared to some gawdawful bubbas floating around. We never see these in Kanada. If a normal 2 or 2A shows up on CGN, it is gone before the ink dries on the screen. :tongue:
GOOD RIDDANCE LGR!! If there isn't a gun range in heaven, then I'm going to hell.
Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State. Heinrich Himmler
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

steelbuttplate wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:32 pm Does it say Gibbs on it somewhere ? And black is bad ? Bully. A $250 FrankEnfield ? it shoots ok. and you can stuff 10 rnd clips of M 80 in it fast.
Not on the rifle, only on the box, Gibbs just used the same black paint the rifle received while in police use in India. It was a cheap refinish the Indians used that Gibbs copied, when originally issued these rifles were blued. One of my 7.62mm Enfields shed it's paint and revealed worn bluing under it. The metal had not been cleaned before paint was applied so it didn't stick. Do not trust that Gibbs checked the headspace, headspace issues are not uncommon on these, only the rimmed cartridge that is more forgiving of shit headspace is gone.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Looks like a made up rifle-the correct 2A looks identical to the No. 1 Mk III with the exception of the magazine.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

awalker1829 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:31 pm Looks like a made up rifle-the correct 2A looks identical to the No. 1 Mk III with the exception of the magazine.
It is a made up rifle, made from an ordinary Indian 7.62mm 2A by Gibbs rifle company in the 90's
Theodore Roosevelt
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

That’s what I figured. I’ve got an unmolested Model 2A that will be coming home with me next week. Now I just need a Model 2 and a .410 shotgun conversion to round out that section of the collection.
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

I worked for a shop in the early 2000 era that sold Gibb's conversion rifles, the flash hider coming off after firing the rifle was a common reason they were returned.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:49 pm
awalker1829 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:31 pm Looks like a made up rifle-the correct 2A looks identical to the No. 1 Mk III with the exception of the magazine.
It is a made up rifle, made from an ordinary Indian 7.62mm 2A by Gibbs rifle company in the 90's
I sold mine and made two bills. It wasn't in my pile of favorites. The sights are too close together.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Two? It should have brought more that that. It's a Bubba piece of shit, but being 7.62mm it appeals to the mall ninja crowd, and some hunters like it since it's short. I have one bought 25 years ago before the internet educated us that there was no such thing as a No7 carbine. Back then the Indian made 2A's were new and a mystery, nobody knew jack shit about them so a carbine version was plausible. A fact that Gibbs took full advantage of.
Theodore Roosevelt
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Years ago I picked up a Gibbs Enfield sporter in 45-70 for a black bear hunt. In the box, direct from Gibbs through my local FFL. Three shots, one misfire. Examination showed the firing pin was striking nearly off the edge of the primer. Pin wasn't bent and the hole in the bolt head was centered. No idea what caused it, back it went. I got something else.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:17 am Two? It should have brought more that that. It's a Bubba piece of shit, but being 7.62mm it appeals to the mall ninja crowd, and some hunters like it since it's short. I have one bought 25 years ago before the internet educated us that there was no such thing as a No7 carbine. Back then the Indian made 2A's were new and a mystery, nobody knew jack shit about them so a carbine version was plausible. A fact that Gibbs took full advantage of.
Two bills plus what I paid for it for my Bubba piece of shit. Probably a fair carbine if it had been set up with a peep sight.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

20200330_181330.jpg
I have a all matching real No 5, but the finish was bubba'd, but I guaran-dam-tee-ya it ain't going nowhere. I love this rifle. 1947 BSA Shirley. And shoots oh so fine. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
etprescottazusa91

Rifle matches, wood finish is original. 1946 BSA No 5 rifle that I paid around $350.00 (too much) for back in 2005 Shoots straight and works good though is looking a little on the rough side. I had not seen one for sale in a long time when I ran across it so this one did come home with me.
IMG_0073.JPG
[attachment=2
IMG_0065.JPG

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I got all hot and bothered by a cheap one behind the counter in the pawn shop until I saw Santa Fe on it.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
etprescottazusa91

SA1911a1 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:54 pm I got all hot and bothered by a cheap one behind the counter in the pawn shop until I saw Santa Fe on it.
I had never heard of Santa Fe rifle conversions until I saw your post, thanks for mentioning, always something new to learn.

Adolph Hitler – 1933
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

etprescottazusa91 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:15 pm
SA1911a1 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:54 pm I got all hot and bothered by a cheap one behind the counter in the pawn shop until I saw Santa Fe on it.
I had never heard of Santa Fe rifle conversions until I saw your post, thanks for mentioning, always something new to learn.
Beware a company in Carpentersville Ga., I've seen a couple of M-44 they made out of 91/30's. Sawed off barrel and bayonet bracket added. I can't remember the name.
ma96782

Post by ma96782 »

Speaking of the 7.62 NATO R.F.I. 2A/2A1.....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishapore_2A1_rifle

My son recently found this R.F.I. 2A1 in AZ.

Aloha, Mark
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Make sure that rear sight button spring stays lubed and clean. The safety was the other problem I had, ended up replacing it.