Look what I found

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Look what I found

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Got a call from a guy who is moving out of the country, he sold his house and needed to be out in days. The guns had to go right now, we made a deal. Venezuelan 7x57 FN1930 Mauser short rifle unissued mid 1930's. Bought in the early 1960's by the last owners late father in law who never fired it, and maintained it for almost 60 years. Has the original muzzle cap, fully matching, receiver is in the white, the only stains on it are from dried up oil. When the guy said he had some old guns this was not what I was expecting :biggrin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
tomaustin

Re: Look what I found

Post by tomaustin »

whoa........nobody EVER calls me up !!!!
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Hawt damn you scored big time. :thumbsup:
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Dang Boss, that is one slick rifle. Congrats on the score. :Drool1:
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :Drool1:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Wow, just wow! That is a sweet rifle for sure. It looks like a new rifle. Dayum!
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

NICE!!! Did you get any other guns from this seller?
Robertroadking

Post by Robertroadking »

Sweet
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Fledge wrote:NICE!!! Did you get any other guns from this seller?
Yes, US M1903-A3 that has found a new home, Ruger 77/22, and 20 gauge New England Pardner shotgun. There was also an expensive under over shotgun that did not go to me, and a small S&W revolver. With it came a sack full of ammo, various shotshells, rifle and handgun ammo. Yesterday as a parting gift I received a box full of assorted crap, unused cleaning kit for the .22, Hoppes bottles, shelf stable chainsaw fuel, and an H&K flare launcher. I have since found out the flare launcher is rare and expensive, it's complete with spare magazine and one flare in it's original box. The 20 gauge will be sold, the 77/22 had an incorrect scope on it, mounted too low so the bolt couldn't open. I am told this is an expensive rifle and I will likely keep it unless someone waves a stack of cash in front of me.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

tomaustin wrote:whoa........nobody EVER calls me up !!!!
They rarely call me either, not to sell anyway, but this guy was in a tight spot. Imagine liquidating your entire life in ten days, while also arranging to leave the country. This guy had a large home filled with crap, he had zero time to shop around for a buyer. He kept piling things on me, he gave me a set of 100 year old Dictaphones. These are based on Edison phonograph technology, and even needing restoration should still bring $300. He thought he would have months after listing his home to clean it out. Lucky for me a buyer showed up and bought the place for cash, only stipulation the house had to be ready in ten days. I understand it was a large sun of money so he isn't losing too badly on the small stuff.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

WeldonHunter wrote:Wow, just wow! That is a sweet rifle for sure. It looks like a new rifle. Dayum!
It is a new rifle, the oil staining on the receiver is from the original storage grease, and you can see the oil mark in the wood by the pistol grip from the support were it sat in the crate. The father in law and the guy I got it from weren't collectors, why they kept this and never used it is a mystery. Not so much for the guy I got it from, he told me it was is ex wife's dads, he had ended up with it when the older man died, and I guess kept it in the divorce.
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Wow, I've never seen a Venezuelan in this condition. I thought mine was nice :shock: They are hard enough to find in "good" condition. Totally beautiful rifle. Looks like a 24/30. This one will definitely grace your collection. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

qz2026 wrote:Wow, I've never seen a Venezuelan in this condition. I thought mine was nice :shock: They are hard enough to find in "good" condition. Totally beautiful rifle. Looks like a 24/30. This one will definitely grace your collection. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I was told FN1930 because of the regular length Mauser 98 receiver, Serial number puts it around 1937-38, the contract terminated in 1939 due to the war. Basically this is a K98k in 7x57 with receiver in the white. These were not considered collectables in 1960, people who bought them used them except for this guy.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

That is a beautiful rifle, Jim. Congrats!
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

qz2026 wrote:Wow, I've never seen a Venezuelan in this condition. I thought mine was nice :shock: They are hard enough to find in "good" condition. Totally beautiful rifle. Looks like a 24/30. This one will definitely grace your collection. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
It is by far the best I've ever seen! :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

WOOF!!!
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Damn, that's a sweet looking example. Be hard pressed to find another one as nice.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
locomotiveguy

Post by locomotiveguy »

Simply stunning...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

ffuries wrote:Damn, that's a sweet looking example. Be hard pressed to find another one as nice.
Easy, first you build a time machine....
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I've never seen a Venezuelen Mauser, except in pictures I think. 7mm is a cartridge that has eluded me so far but I hear it is a fine round.