Is 0000 steel wool too abrasive?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
2700fps

Is 0000 steel wool too abrasive?

Post by 2700fps »

Got a really small amount of black surface discoloration on a bolt.
Is there something better to get it off?

Thanks
capt14k

Re: Is 0000 steel wool too abrasive?

Post by capt14k »

Never dull. Copper or Bronze wool. Aluminum wool.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

I've used it with oil, to remove rust off of some pawn shop finds. Keep the oil on it and it won't mess up the Finnish. A brass brush works good too. Just don't use to much pressure. Patience is key. :thumbsup:
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

I typically use the bronze wool myself. Maybe not as aggressive, but I oil it up and clean rust off of bluing without causing damage.
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Fledge wrote:I typically use the bronze wool myself. Maybe not as aggressive, but I oil it up and clean rust off of bluing without causing damage.
Good advice there. I'm a bronze wool and Kroil fan myself.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
musketjon

Post by musketjon »

Try crocus (sic) cloth, available at your local hardware store, NOT Lowe's or Home Depot, but a REAL hardware store. I use it on my 1863 Springfield rifle-musket.
Jon
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

If rust, Frontier 45 is the best to use. If deep stains, these are pretty difficult to get out. But, to answer your question, the bolts are typically highly polished and 0000 steel wool won't scratch it. I'd use Frontier 45 though. Everyone should keep one of these pads available...
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Brass brush on a Dremel and oil.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I would stick to a bronze brush and oil.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
entropy

Post by entropy »

Kroil and your fingernail.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Jumperwire wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 6:42 pm I've used it with oil, to remove rust off of some pawn shop finds. Keep the oil on it and it won't mess up the Finnish. A brass brush works good too. Just don't use to much pressure. Patience is key. :thumbsup:

I have been using 0000 with oil for over 30 years, works pretty good. Every TLC firearm I have brought back to looking good and posted up here was cleaned up this way. Also mentioned was patience, no scrubbing, just letting them soak in some oil for a while is what really helps also.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933