1954 Tula SKS

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

1954 Tula SKS

Post by millman »

I have had this a while, and have posted it in the past, but can't seem to find them now. Doesn't matter, I think the old info was not correct. In the day this was called an East German refurb. Something to do with the way the serial # is restamped at 90 degrees of the original on the stock, and even the laminated handguard. I don't remember. Anyway, does anybody have any info about this. I will be heading over to that Yuper guy if ya'll don't know, but I was hoping to save the effort. Yes, I'm lazy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1954 Tula SKS

Post by Longcolt44 »

Old Outlaw can help you out if he show up.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Same varnish and black paint as mine, you think the Soviets sold some slurps to East Germany and they sold them to US ?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I know that the Mosins that used to be called East German weren't. I don't know if the same goes for SKSs.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

It looks OK to me.....OK4876 that is.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

When these came in the DDR was already history, it was part of Germany as a whole by then. There are none of the proof and other markings found of imports that originated in Germany. They look like any other Soviet refurb, and came in with the first batches of Mosins and SVT-40's, and assorted pistols from Ukraine. I first saw these in shops around 1994, the DDR collapsed in 1989.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I finally found the info I was looking for. viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1642&start=40 . In light of Ratnik's new info, these seem to be just Russian after all.

C. S. Lewis
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Did the East Germans mark their small arms, or did they just take what Pappa Bear gave them and leave them unmolested?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Papa Bear didn't leave anything unmolested in East Germany. He/they rape, kill and plunder mostly.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
GT_80

Post by GT_80 »

That looks great to me.
1935r Izhevsk hex receiver 91/30, serial number 407, laminated stock
1942r Izhevsk round receiver 91/30 re-arsenal "parts built" gun
1944r Izhevsk round receiver M44 very smooth action
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

GT_80 wrote:That looks great to me.
Thanks. It actually is pretty great as a looker and a shooter. I just wasn't sure if the old info about it was still good. I think now that what used to be considered a DDR refurb, was done in Russia at some different facility. The latest info in our DDR sticky is from 2014 and seems to indicate this. Has anyone read anything newer? I searched and could only find info from 2011 and 12 on the yooper guy site. I did not do an exhaustive search of gunboards.

C. S. Lewis
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

millman wrote:
GT_80 wrote:That looks great to me.
Thanks. It actually is pretty great as a looker and a shooter. I just wasn't sure if the old info about it was still good. I think now that what used to be considered a DDR refurb, was done in Russia at some different facility. The latest info in our DDR sticky is from 2014 and seems to indicate this. Has anyone read anything newer? I searched and could only find info from 2011 and 12 on the yooper guy site. I did not do an exhaustive search of gunboards.
I have a 1952 Tula Russian refurb that looks like that. It's in a laminate stock and has the sideways stamped serial number on the stock along with the "diverdown" line in a box refurb stamp. I don't know a lot about it either but my uncle gave it to me and he got it some time in the 1990s.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

You might try asking member "Greasemonkey" down on the SKS page. He's quite knowledgeable on SKS's & has helped me out greatly in the past.
GT_80

Post by GT_80 »

try www.sks-files.com as well, those guys are great.
1935r Izhevsk hex receiver 91/30, serial number 407, laminated stock
1942r Izhevsk round receiver 91/30 re-arsenal "parts built" gun
1944r Izhevsk round receiver M44 very smooth action
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

GT_80 wrote:try http://www.sks-files.com as well, those guys are great.
Thanks.

C. S. Lewis