Finn 1909 Izhevsk ex-dragoon M30(91/30)

"Special", rarer, and "hard to find" Mosins

For your browsing pleasure.
racerguy00

Finn 1909 Izhevsk ex-dragoon M30(91/30)

Post by racerguy00 »

Examples of Finn-used dragoons updated to their M30 or the Soviet 91/30 specs turn up from time to time. These are different than the common refurb exdragoons in that they have none if the usual Soviet refurb marks, the rear sight bases are not pinned and other than the upgrade look like typical Finn capture rifles.

There has been some debate as to whether the Finns upgraded at least some of these or that they were upgraded by the Soviets before capture. In this particular case, I believe it is proven that the Finns upgraded dragoons also.

The rifle is a 1909 Izhevsk that bears Austrian WW1 era AZF stampings on the barrel and receiver. It would have been most likely sold to the Finns after WW1. It has been upgraded to the Finn m30 specs by replacing the rear sight with the newer design and the front blade with a taller blade and spacer. The stock is a two piece Finn-spliced stock, and the bolt is the only matching part as is common with Finn rifles. It is SA and D marked.

IMO the only way the Soviets could have converted this dragoon to 91/30 and not the Finns was for it to have been captured and marked by the Austrians, recaptured by the Russians and later upgraded, then captured by the Finns. Highly unlikely. I have. Never seen an example of a Soviet refurb exdragoon bearing Austrian markings although its possible they exist.

I've seen about a dozen of this type of exdragoon, but this is only the second Imperial dated one and first Austrian marked one I've seen. Definitely an uncommon rifle.

Discussion Section
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.