Mummed, matching (w/ dust cover) Type 2 Arisaka paratrooper rifle

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
lthilsdorf

Mummed, matching (w/ dust cover) Type 2 Arisaka paratrooper rifle

Post by lthilsdorf »

I picked this up off Gunbroker on Wednesday, and amazingly it arrived 3 days later. This one had a dirt cheap Buy It Now for a mummed, matching example, even with the slight rust issues.

This Type 2 Paratrooper was likely in mint shape after the war, when someone shoved it into the wall of a garage in South Carolina. While time hasn't been kind to this rifle, much of the damage will clean up.

The rifle is mummed and matching, including a Nagoya proofed dust cover. Even the screws are still staked on the entire rifle. This is a true untouched example. The bore is chrome lined, but the bolt face is not. The stock has a unique spoke shaven/chatter look to it, which is briefly found on these Type 2 rifles near the 13,000 serial number range, which this rifle falls into. The stock has some nice Nagoya proofs on the butt stock. The cleaning rod is also the correct, original type.

Overall I'm very glad I've held out on buying a Type 2 until now. Despite the issues with the metal, I think I did very well on the price, and I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did on Gunbroker with a Buy It Now.

I'll let the photos show the rest. Hopefully when I get it more cleaned up I'll post some more. There are a few areas, mainly the trigger guard and near the muzzle that are worse than the rest of the rifle.

A Comprehensive Guide to the Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagant

Feel free to message me to contribute to my site!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Mummed, matching (w/ dust cover) Type 2 Arisaka paratrooper rifle

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have seen some rusted Arisakas, even saw one that was run over by a tank, that little bit of crud on that rifle is nothing. Ten minutes with a copper bore brush and oil, and your good to go. Nice find.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

As JYD said, some bronze wool and Kroil and that will be one nice looking rifle. That's a damn nice matching example, and the hand hewn stock is cool. Do you mind me asking what it cost you?
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Very nice. Congrats... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

You scored a good one. Thanks for sharing.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I saw one of these at the Ohio Gun Collectors show. To say it was pricey is a real understatement.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
lthilsdorf

Post by lthilsdorf »

Thanks for the comments everyone. This is my new favorite Arisaka. I'm not embarrassed to say I paid $1,600 shipped for this rifle. Considered what I see ground examples without a cover and the interest stock sell for, I knew this was the Type 2 I finally wanted to pick up.
A Comprehensive Guide to the Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagant

Feel free to message me to contribute to my site!
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

lthilsdorf wrote:Thanks for the comments everyone. This is my new favorite Arisaka. I'm not embarrassed to say I paid $1,600 shipped for this rifle. Considered what I see ground examples without a cover and the interest stock sell for, I knew this was the Type 2 I finally wanted to pick up.
Thanks for the reply. I knew they were rare, but I didn't realize they were that rare. That one is a helluva nice example! :thumbsup:
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I wonted one years ago when they were reasonable price. Now, no. LOL

That is a nice example of a rare rifle.