That Time Again...

NEW! If it won't quite fit elsewhere, maybe it will fit here!!!!
Strictly at the mercy of the Administrators (could be moved)
awalker1829

That Time Again...

Post by awalker1829 »

Time to renew the Concealed Weapons Permit. Mine expires at the end of July, so I just mailed the renewal form to the Arizona Department of Public Safety. Pretty painless-fill out the form, enclose a $43 money order and wait for them to mail the new one out.

I prefer to have a permit as I have a government job and the permit is recognized in most states. It also allows me to skip the NICS check when buying from FFLs in State-fill out the 4473 and show them my ID and permit. Most FFLs prefer selling to CWP holders as it saves them time and if something does happen later, the liability falls on the state rather than them.
thughes

Re: That Time Again...

Post by thughes »

Wasn't aware you had to renew in AZ, they instituted that here in NY with the passing of the SAFE act after decades of permits being perpetual (in most counties). The first renewals were due end of June here....it appears a lot of folks did not renew (or 'forgot" in protest), we're waiting to see what happens next as the law says if you don't renew, in addition to getting you permit pulled and having to turn in your handguns, you also have to surrender ALL long guns too.

I'm a bit confused on your statement about skipping the NICS with a valid permit yet you say that you have to fill out the 4473? The 4473 IS the NICS check form. Unless, perhaps there is additional BG check in AZ that you normally have to undergo if you don't have a CCW permit? I try to keep up with the legalities in other states, that's why I ask. In my county here in NY, a valid CCW is considered by the county issuing authority as a substitute for the NICS check but none of the FFL's in the county will skip the NICS based upon you having a valid CCW (obviously a CYA thing in regards to the BATF) so it's kind of a moot point that the county considers a CCW as a substitute for NICS.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Here in Arizona, the Form 4473 is also used to document the transfer of a firearm from the FFL to the buyer. Instead of calling NICS or using their electronic system, the FFL merely photocopies the buyer’s CWP and drivers license and staples it to the 4473. The FBI and BATFE have made official determinations that the Arizona CWP is acceptable in lieu of a NICS background check based on the requirements for eligibility.

Arizona requires that initial applicants provide proof of citizenship, a fingerprint card and proof of attending a state recognized training course. The permit is valid for five years unless surrendered, suspended or revoked. If the permit is suspended or revoked, law enforcement is required to seize the permit and return it to the Arizona Department of Public Safety.

This is what our permit looks like.

Using this means that no information is sent to the government by the FFL. The only time the government would have access to my information would be if a trace was initiated for some reason.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

The law in Ohio on NICS is now the same as Arizona and several other states. With a valid CCW permit the FFL does not have to call the FBI, just fill out the 4473. In Ohio the permit must have to been issued after 3/15/2016, when the law changed to forego the call to the FBI.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

FFLs here like the permits because there’s no question about the buyer-guaranteed sale and no time spent dealing with NICS. That and the government doesn’t get any information unless a trace is initiated sometime in the future. A lot of private sellers will insist on the permit too-no CWP? No deal or you have to do a FFL transfer.

It also provides relief from the “Gun Free” zones around schools for residents. Instead of having to worry about the 1,000 foot rule, I can literally go right up to the property line. That’s quite important for me as there is a school right down the road from the club range I use.
entropy

Post by entropy »

I renewed my WI as soon as the letter showed up, but I'm going to let my Utah lapse, because MN no longer honors it. I plan to get a MN one, but have to take a class that has range time.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Longcolt44 wrote:The law in Ohio on NICS is now the same as Arizona and several other states. With a valid CCW permit the FFL does not have to call the FBI, just fill out the 4473. In Ohio the permit must have to been issued after 3/15/2016, when the law changed to forego the call to the FBI.
That is how it is in KY.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

One of our advantages is with the permit, you do not have a three day wait to purchase a handgun. (unless that was changed in the past legislative cycle with some other gun legislation) It has been pay and go.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

SA1911a1 wrote:One of our advantages is with the permit, you do not have a three day wait to purchase a handgun. (unless that was changed in the past legislative cycle with some other gun legislation) It has been pay and go.
Steve our current law as of the last change states there is a 3 wait for handguns and long guns with exceptions to the waive the 3 day waiting period as follows. CCW Permit Holder, LEO, Active Duty Military, Holder of a Valid Florida Hunting License. But that is up to the discretion of the FFL, some I talked to will only do it for CCW Holders and LEO, the rest be damned.

So if you have the CCW, there won't be any problems, unless you get an anal retentive FFL with an attitude.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

I stopped by one of the local gun shops on my way home and got myself the Glock 19X I’d been wanting. Spent about fifteen minutes in the shop. Filled out the Form 4473, showed my license and permit (which the dealer wrote in on his part of the form), paid and took my new gun home. Cash and carry-just the way I like it.
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

My wife and I both renewed our CCP in NC for $75.00 ea. for the fourth time. NC CCP are for 5yrs. Don't leave home without it. :D JGC
Rowdy1

Post by Rowdy1 »

My wife and I live in AZ and have had carry permits for 20 years. You no longer have to renew them but we do. Saves time on gun purchases and if you’re stop by a LEO and you tell them you are caring but have a permit you do get treated better.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Indiana has the Life Time CCP, cost about $20.00 more than the 4 year permit. On year 10 with my permit and like not having to worry about renewing it.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Rowdy1 wrote:My wife and I live in AZ and have had carry permits for 20 years. You no longer have to renew them but we do. Saves time on gun purchases and if you’re stop by a LEO and you tell them you are caring but have a permit you do get treated better.
All that and you can take advantage of reciprocity with other states-Constitutional Carry folks can’t do that. I can go pretty much anywhere in the South, Intermountain West or Midwest using an Arizona permit.
nightowl

Post by nightowl »

Here in Oklahoma the 10 year renewal is 170 plus updated passport pictures you must provide.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

New permit arrived in the mail today. Oddly enough, Arizona doesn’t roll the issue date forward. The permit shows an issue date of July 27, 2018 which is the date that my other card expires. So I have to carry the old card until the 27th.

Looking at the cards, for some reason DPS decided to reduce the font sizes on the new cards. I’ve thought about getting a non-resident permit to cover the handful of states that do not recognize an Arizona permit, but those are so few that it’s really not worth the trouble.