Transitional type 99

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Joekopec1

Transitional type 99

Post by Joekopec1 »

Just picked up my first arisaka and have to show it off a bit. all matching from what I can tell, missing the mum. Can anyone tell me about when this rifle was produced?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joekopec1

Re: Transitional type 99

Post by Joekopec1 »

IMG_4087.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B24

Post by B24 »

Appears you have a nice 7th series Nagoya made 2029 rifles before mine. Mine like yours has the ground mum
and is all matching. The Nagoya symbol is at the end of the serial and the Mark just to the left denotes the series
number. I think I found the info at candrsenal.com. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Joekopec1

Post by Joekopec1 »

B24 wrote:Appears you have a nice 7th series Nagoya made 2029 rifles before mine. Mine like yours has the ground mum
and is all matching. The Nagoya symbol is at the end of the serial and the Mark just to the left denotes the series
number. I think I found the info at candrsenal.com. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Awesome, thank you for the info!
burb1989

Post by burb1989 »

Great find! Mine is about 4,000 rifles newer than this one. The stock color strikes me as mine has a very dark red to it but I know different arsenals and even different within the same arsenal applied the urushi finish in different coats.
image25.JPG
image26.JPG
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Nice find. I don't collect Arisakas but I managed to have 8 of them.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
burb1989

Post by burb1989 »

Longcolt44 wrote:Nice find. I don't collect Arisakas but I managed to have 8 of them.
I know the feeling. I don't collect arisakas exclusively but I somehow managed to bring 15 of them home :thumbsup:
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

I've also got a 7th Series Nagoya Arsenal Type 99, numbers matching, ground Chrysanthemum, serial number 47707, and based on my limited research made in 1944. Here's two quick pictures I took of it the day I got it home.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Joekopec1

Post by Joekopec1 »

burb1989 wrote:Great find! Mine is about 4,000 rifles newer than this one. The stock color strikes me as mine has a very dark red to it but I know different arsenals and even different within the same arsenal applied the urushi finish in different coats.
image25.JPG
image26.JPG
I really like the dark looking stock, I've seen quite a bit of variety in these from my limited research.
lthilsdorf

Post by lthilsdorf »

Did you pick this up at the Oaks PA show? I saw a 7th series exactly like this at the show. I had a table set up with a Japanese weapons display, so maybe you stopped by and talked with me too?

Nice rifle. If it's the one from Oaks, I thought about picking it up, but have a few high dollar Japanese purchases lined up. You did will with it. That safety is unique to the 7th series.

Here was my display:

A Comprehensive Guide to the Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagant

Feel free to message me to contribute to my site!
Joekopec1

Post by Joekopec1 »

lthilsdorf wrote:Did you pick this up at the Oaks PA show? I saw a 7th series exactly like this at the show. I had a table set up with a Japanese weapons display, so maybe you stopped by and talked with me too?

Nice rifle. If it's the one from Oaks, I thought about picking it up, but have a few high dollar Japanese purchases lined up. You did will with it. That safety is unique to the 7th series.

Here was my display:

No I didn't, this one isn't staked. I'm still looking for a staked t99 with a mum. These are much harder to find then I thought. Are unstaked rifles a huge deal to collectors? Did the Japanese ever unstaked them?