1940 M28/30

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
tailgunner67

1940 M28/30

Post by tailgunner67 »

I have seen the prices on these jump lately with no end in sight so I grabbed one while I could. I was lucky enough to find a beautiful example. 1940 M28/30 in the original stock built on a Chatellerault receiver. It was offered to me as a package deal so I also bought the correct sling, bayonet, and the oiler was thrown in. I paid a pretty penny but I am very happy to have added it to my collection. It may be the only M28 I ever buy so I am glad I bought a good one. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1940 M28/30

Post by millman »

Sweet!
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

millman wrote:Sweet!
:thumbsup: :Finland: :clap: :thumbsup:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Nice find, looks to be in good shape. You might want to wait on deciding you'll never get another one. Once you shoot the m28/30, you'll realize it really is the Cadillac of Mosins! My 28/30 has been to the range more in the last year than any of my other ones, probably more than any of the other ones all tallied together!
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

That looks like a really nice 28/30. I agree with Lotema. My 28/30 is my best shooting Finn, with my worst looking bore. Tons of fun to shoot!

Your opinion of it will likely only improve with range time. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Really after shooting a bunch of low mileage M39's I really find them to be equal or better than my M28/30's. I am much more comfortable shooting a straight stock rifle with out that pistol grip although they seem to shoot about the same my long arms makes for a comfortable hold with a straight stock rifle. The fact that an M28/30 may slug out at a 308 bore and usually that is not gonna happen with an M39 means no hand loading is necessary and makes life simpler. Shooting an M28/30 with surplus and 308 bore has only shown me less accuracy and no other problems. But there is always a chance for over pressurization although I have seen no signs of it. I have also noticed more than a few of my M28/30's have no signs of ever having had an aluminum sleeve in place and shoot as good as ones with that sleeve in place. I always look to shooting surplus that has bullets in the very low 309 range. Certain lots and a lot of older ammo have some what undersized bullets. People used to wonder why when I was buying surplus ammo I always brought my caliper along and measured the bullets.

That is certainly a nice rifle and I wish you good luck shooting it too! :D Bill
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

That is a beauty...congrats.
JC 762

Post by JC 762 »

That is a beauty! That stock stamping is really nice and the rifle overall looks great .I think we will need a range report soon.
tailgunner67

Post by tailgunner67 »

I will get it to the range maybe next weekend. I will post a pic of the results.