Is a 1898 Sestroryetsk worth $350 ?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
JoeR

Is a 1898 Sestroryetsk worth $350 ?

Post by JoeR »

Went to a store for the first time going to look at 1911s and first I ask if he had and old milsurps. " I had a Garrand M1 Carbine that I sold to a buddy too cheap ", came with all the paperwork from the original owner he showed it to me but never did say the price. Then he says, I have an old Mosin in the back case so I go look not expecting much and it turns out to be a real clean Sestroryetsk 1897 or 1898 memory issues. Didn't have a lot of time since it was close to closing time. Bolt worked smooth, it was very clean about all I can tell you, it was in a dark area and my time was limited. The price is $350 out the door, I just walked in and haven't had a chance to research online but anyone care to weigh in ?

Yes I know, the biggest bunch of enablers on the Net will say BUY IT !! :chuckles: Any input appreciated guys. TIA

Joe
If at first you don't succeed, reload and try again.
No_0ne

Re: Is a 1898 Sestroryetsk worth $350 ?

Post by No_0ne »

If it's complete, it's an easy $350 rifle. An unscrubbed, complete Sestroyetsk antique M91 with good pics and presentation will often break $600 and more on funbroker ...
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I expect to see this rifle in the next couple days....or at least a layaway receipt.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Longcolt44 wrote:I expect to see this rifle in the next couple days....or at least a layaway receipt.

:big shock: Dang I guess that means I need to dust off the C&R ......... :shifty:
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Condition and completeness would dictate whether or not you should buy that rifle so maybe try and grab a few pictures. Missing parts like hand guard, cleaning rod, and barrel clamps are very expensive and if missing would be big negatives to me. If missing that price could be as far as $250 or so off to have a complete rifle. The Sestroryetsk M91 is a hard rifle to find in decent shape and if it is complete would be worth that amount. Good Luck! Bill :wink:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yes, buy it, and there is no such thing as a Garand carbine, that " tanker" Garand bullshit was experimental and not approved. There was an M1 carbine, looks nothing like the Garand, they do not share a design. If a dealer started telling me about Garand " carbines" I would immediately move his name over to the moron category full of people who's information we lack faith in. Even scrubbed Balkan sestys are hard to find, most I have seen are either Balkan used or have the SA Finn stamp on them. Nice find, now go grab it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

All things being equal (the 3 C's), a Sestroryetsk, Finn or not, for $350 out the door sounds like a deal to me. For me, the shank impression is important. Many of these were lightly struck or worn. A really clean one says Finn to me. Good luck and hope it works out for you. It's funny how when you are looking for A (a 1911) you end up with B. Such is life in this insanity.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

You have to make sure that you don't get too excited too quick and buy it, then realize that it has been modified or misrepresented only after getting it home. This has happened a few times around here.
350.00 is a great deal in this day and time if the rifle is correct. If you go back you need to be ready to secure it if you want it, not ask to start taking pictures and leaving then planning to come back. If you give the impression that it deserves a lot more investigating then expect the dealer to do the same thing and raise the price. Inspect it yourself, you don't have to be an expert, just calmly look it over WITHOUT TOO MUCH TALKING! Then buy it or walk away and don't look back. Trust your gut. You can tell if it's been screwed up. If it is all there but missing a handguard I'd still be all over it at 350.00 otd. Missing handguards are not the end of the world even if you never find one.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Yes, buy it, and there is no such thing as a Garand carbine, that " tanker" Garand bullshit was experimental and not approved. There was an M1 carbine, looks nothing like the Garand, they do not share a design. If a dealer started telling me about Garand " carbines" I would immediately move his name over to the moron category full of people who's information we lack faith in. Even scrubbed Balkan sestys are hard to find, most I have seen are either Balkan used or have the SA Finn stamp on them. Nice find, now go grab it.
That was my mistake on that DA comment JYD, :oops: I saw it after the fact and thought " that was stupid" maybe nobody will bust my ass.....wrong :bonk: :chuckles: In my excitment over the Mosin I went ape shit typing.
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

bunkysdad wrote:You have to make sure that you don't get too excited too quick and buy it, then realize that it has been modified or misrepresented only after getting it home. This has happened a few times around here.
350.00 is a great deal in this day and time if the rifle is correct. If you go back you need to be ready to secure it if you want it, not ask to start taking pictures and leaving then planning to come back. If you give the impression that it deserves a lot more investigating then expect the dealer to do the same thing and raise the price. Inspect it yourself, you don't have to be an expert, just calmly look it over WITHOUT TOO MUCH TALKING! Then buy it or walk away and don't look back. Trust your gut. You can tell if it's been screwed up. If it is all there but missing a handguard I'd still be all over it at 350.00 otd. Missing handguards are not the end of the world even if you never find one.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Thanks, I have already got burned once ( it was all on me of course ), I hope once is all I get, guess that's why I'm paranoid about this, 350 bucks for a gun is nothing these days but $350 is still a lot of cash to me. I didn't see anything missing but I didn't have a lot of time with it because it was almost closing time and the lighting wasn't very good. If I go back I'll be taking the cash with me. Hope the price of tuition isn't 350 bucks. :chuckles:
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

It the rifle is complete and not bubba'd, and you do not buy it for $350.00, you will live to regret it.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

SA1911a1 wrote:It the rifle is complete and not bubba'd, and you do not buy it for $350.00, you will live to regret it.
Pretty sure you're right sir....... :?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

If you don't grab it just tell Steve were it is, he's always wanted to Visit the north in winter.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

When I first started to become interested in the Mosin-Nagant, I was plundering a pawn shop and came upon a Sestroryetsk, the first M-91 I had seen, it was also Finnish Pulos....(I can't spell it) marked. I didn't recognize the Finnish marking. Asking price was under $200.00 and there was certainly wiggle room there. It was missing the front site so I walked away. A couple of weeks later I decided to go back and get it, and you know it was gone.... I have yet to forgive myself for it. I haven't seen one since.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:If you don't grab it just tell Steve were it is, he's always wanted to Visit the north in winter.
No thanks Jim, I will have to pass. The thought on driving on icy roads scares the living snot outta me. I see the films, on the news, of dozens of cars playing bumper cars on ice. Imagine someone who had never driven on it...I would be buzzard bait.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You know, people pay money to ride the bumper cars. Don't worry about the buzzards, way to cold for them, they wouldn't be able to eat you until your body thawed out in the spring.
Theodore Roosevelt
entropy

Post by entropy »

Buy it, or fess up where it's at so we can..... :twisted:

Seriously, buy it.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Mosin SA.jpg
I got it today. 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

I have a few more bad pics. Sorry the pics stink. Thanks for all of the replies, much appreciated.
Mosin 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis