Back in the Mosin game with a SCW

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Crazysarge16

Back in the Mosin game with a SCW

Post by Crazysarge16 »

Been away from this forum for a little while, had gotten back into surplus rifles last year but then my wife and I found out she was pregnant, couple that with multiple other unexpected expenses forced me to sell much of my collection minus a few items I refused to sell which included my Garand, Savage Enfield, Italian Carcano M91, and a Chinese T53 I had gotten from Omega

Gone were my 1943 M44, M38, x2 1944 M44s, several 91/30s, Japanese Arisaka,x2 Turk Mausers, and GEW 88. But on the plus side I got a son who I can mold into another collector of surplus guns

Finally got caught up on everything, and have started browsing Armslist again to try to rebuild the collection. Lucked out when I got rid of my Gew 88 cause received in a Izhevsk 1941 M91/30 as partial trade. Saw a particular M91/30 that I couldn't believe what I was seeing

A 1936 Izhevsk round receiver that had the flaming bomb MP8, the hangers, and the USSR mark. Immediately sent an email, traded off a Beretta 92S I had got on a whim and can easily replace cause Sovereign Guns is right down the road from me. Seller knew he had a M91/30 wasn't until someone told him it was a SCW that he went up $100 cause it was originally listed at $200.

Drove 45 minutes to get it, no numbers match, and bore is filfthy but glad to have it

Missing the front sight blade, which I'll pick up off eBay but unfortunately won't be the Spanish style. Also has a slight crack in top handguard which is Spanish style
IMG_20180123_190508.jpg
33606.jpeg
IMG_20180123_190420.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Stay classy gentleman, and remember no one touch my snickers" -Cpt Barry Ammons, 2-23 IN 4/2 SBCT
Lotema

Re: Back in the Mosin game with a SCW

Post by Lotema »

Very nice! Looks like the stock might possibly be a Spanish replacement as well. Kind of hard to tell from the photos but definitely a possibility. If the name "Antonio Diaz' is scrawled on the inside of the stock under the barrel, it's Spanish! (Last year both myself and another forum member both found Spanish made stocks with his name written on them).
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
lthilsdorf

Post by lthilsdorf »

What an exciting rifle! Very nice piece. As Lotema said, he and I each found a rifle last year with a Spanish made stock with the same name written in it. He was nice enough to sell his to me after we discovered that! I'm extremely grateful for him doing that too!

In any case, your rifle stock very well could be a Spanish replacement. Hard to tell with the given picutres, so if you're able to get some more please do so. I'd love to also add some of them as reference photos to my site if you're able to get a few more in better quality. See if your rifle has any of the following features, a buffed barrel shank and reblued metal (including the inside of the receiver). I've begun to notice these traits on many SCW rifles in Spanish made stocks with an MP8 mark. I think they came from the same facility, which did a sort of standardized refurb process to them. This is all just guesses at this point based on limited research, so I'd like to find more examples if possible.

You bought that rifle at a steal of a price I'd say! Color me "jealous", haha! Looking forward to seeing more photos, and congrats again on your new find!
A Comprehensive Guide to the Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagant

Feel free to message me to contribute to my site!
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Nice one. I'm not sure why but there are quite a few Facebook self-described "good samaritans" that enjoy informing sellers when their rifle is misidentified or underpriced then broadcast that they fixed it.I don't get It, but sounds like what happened here. I'm glad you got it.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Crazysarge16

Post by Crazysarge16 »

I'll try to take some more pictures of the rifle later on. Those were just some he had sent me to show it was a SCW rifle.

I'm planning on taking it apart on Friday since I'm off that day provided everything goes smoothly.

I try to help people sometimes figure out what they have if they ask on a forum. But with Google being prevelant nowadays, and being able to take a picture then search off that picture I'm not going to go overboard to help someone too lazy to help themselves
"Stay classy gentleman, and remember no one touch my snickers" -Cpt Barry Ammons, 2-23 IN 4/2 SBCT
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

That's gotta be rare, SCW's in general are a "6", and just one yr. for round receivers. Nice grab :cool2:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Very nice rifle. Lots of history that rifle has seen!!!

Dolk
Crazysarge16

Post by Crazysarge16 »

I'm certainly happy with it, still need to break it down for a thorough cleaning. Also need to check the headspace cause I couldn't find my gauges before I went and meet the guy

I'll post better pictures tonight
Denny-

Post by Denny- »

Congratulations Crazysarge on a great looking SCW. Love that stock and I have always wanted to get one with the MP8 stamp. Denny
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

The good part is you got it still in your collection and are on the rebound, and the best part is you have a sweet new baby boy. Congrats and I look forward to seeing more of this great rifle.
Crazysarge16

Post by Crazysarge16 »

Sorry for the delayed, got busier than I expected these past few days and haven't had a chance to tear it down yet to look for those marking. Need to clean off my work bench first so I can make sure I keep track of everything.

On a sad note, just saw were Okie passed. Found my gauges yesterday, he will be missed

IMG_20180128_002216.jpg
IMG_20180128_002228.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Crazysarge16

Post by Crazysarge16 »

More pictures of the rifle. Sorry for crappy cell phone pictures, figure they are better than nothing.

I'm in need of a front sight and the stock screw piece, anyone know of a decent place I can get both?

IMG_20180128_002306.jpg
IMG_20180128_002319.jpg
IMG_20180128_002333.jpg
IMG_20180128_002400.jpg