Blasted Bubba! M28/30 Bedding Removal Help Needed!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

I have a M28/30 that is pretty nice EXCEPT...

...it looks like Bubba bedded the action. In the photos you can see the red stuff oozing up between the metal and the stock. This looks to run from right in front of the rear sight base area back behind the chamber.

My question is this: is it possible to get the action out of the stock and clean that mess up without destroying the stock?

Tips, tricks, techniques and ALL advice appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Blasted Bubba! M28/30 Bedding Removal Help Needed!

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Magic? Beyond that I have no experience with that shit since I used it to patch holes in my shitbox 1974 Duster, only we called it Bondo back then.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

It seems to be stout stuff. Really holding on tight.

steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Get all thats visible off of there and leave the rest alone.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Looks like high temp silicone caulk. If that is the case you might damage the stock trying to get it apart.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

If that really is Permatex high temp silicone, then that ranks among one of the most redneck things I've ever seen.

As an auto mechanic, I have some tricks for removing automotive silicone sealer if that is truly what that orange gunk is, but you first need to verify if it is silicone. Messing with it at all risks cracking the stock or breaking it entirely. It depends on what that orange gunk is and how extensively they used it.

If it is silicone and they only applied it under the chamber and receiver (not in the hand guard area) then I think I know a way you could remove the action without damaging the stock. You still face the problem of how to remove the silicone from the stock once the action is out. It will adhere like glue to the wood and will have to be manually and carefully scraped out. In that light you might not want to mess with it.
I'm just here for the free coffee mug and tee shirt. :vcool:
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

AMCHornet wrote:If that really is Permatex high temp silicone, then that ranks among one of the most redneck things I've ever seen.

As an auto mechanic, I have some tricks for removing automotive silicone sealer if that is truly what that orange gunk is, but you first need to verify if it is silicone. Messing with it at all risks cracking the stock or breaking it entirely. It depends on what that orange gunk is and how extensively they used it.

If it is silicone and they only applied it under the chamber and receiver (not in the hand guard area) then I think I know a way you could remove the action without damaging the stock. You still face the problem of how to remove the silicone from the stock once the action is out. It will adhere like glue to the wood and will have to be manually and carefully scraped out. In that light you might not want to mess with it.
It is “interesting” for sure.

The photos and lighting aren’t great but in person it looks more red than orange.

It is only under the action, not in the barrel channel. And really under the rear sight base and chamber best I can tell.

It is initially hard as a rock. But I have tried soaking that seam between the wood and metal with Ballistol and after a while it gets more gummy than rock hard. At least the top portion anyway.

I am leaning towards carefully working with an exacto knife to remove what I can and leaving the rest. I don’t like that but I am really concerned about damaging the stock.

zeebill

Post by zeebill »

First off shoot it and see how that goes. If it shoots well make the red stuff less conspicuous from the outside chipping at it with strong bladed knife of some sort. You are going to have to get that action out of the stock someway too It may be hard or easy it has to come out of there somehow. I have had 3 of these rifle like the one you have only each time the material was not red in color. Once it was a green color and the other two times it was a yellow like acra glass color. The yellow stuff was the hardest to remove. I used nothing but patience little and carving bits from a wood working kit to get it out. One of them I own yet has the filler still in there and all I did was make it less obvious to the holder. Why I did that is because it shoots very well that way. The other two were not good shooters with or without the filler bedding in there. Looking back on them I would say the near 308 bore was too tight for the surplus I was shooting through them back then. I saw no signs of over pressurizing but being that tight on the bullet tends to make them erratic in flight and of course accuracy suffers. Be patient and try the rifle before you start thinking you have trash. Bill
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

zeebill wrote:First off shoot it and see how that goes. If it shoots well make the red stuff less conspicuous from the outside chipping at it with strong bladed knife of some sort. You are going to have to get that action out of the stock someway too It may be hard or easy it has to come out of there somehow. I have had 3 of these rifle like the one you have only each time the material was not red in color. Once it was a green color and the other two times it was a yellow like acra glass color. The yellow stuff was the hardest to remove. I used nothing but patience little and carving bits from a wood working kit to get it out. One of them I own yet has the filler still in there and all I did was make it less obvious to the holder. Why I did that is because it shoots very well that way. The other two were not good shooters with or without the filler bedding in there. Looking back on them I would say the near 308 bore was too tight for the surplus I was shooting through them back then. I saw no signs of over pressurizing but being that tight on the bullet tends to make them erratic in flight and of course accuracy suffers. Be patient and try the rifle before you start thinking you have trash. Bill
Thanks Bill will do.

And I will try to get some better outdoors photos up of the entire thing once the weather cooperates, which will likely be after Christmas it looks like.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on the situation so far.

And MERRY CHRISTMAS [emoji319] [emoji319] [emoji319] TO ALL!!!

musketjon

Post by musketjon »

An old trick to removing a stuck, bedded stock and action is to literally freeze them. If you have a freezer big enough, put the rifle in the freezer for a couple of days. The metal will shrink more than either the wood or bedding material. Some times the act of freezing/contracting will be enough for the parts to pull themselves apart. Sometimes they need a little persuation. Good luck in your new-found endeavor.
Jon
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

musketjon wrote:An old trick to removing a stuck, bedded stock and action is to literally freeze them. If you have a freezer big enough, put the rifle in the freezer for a couple of days. The metal will shrink more than either the wood or bedding material. Some times the act of freezing/contracting will be enough for the parts to pull themselves apart. Sometimes they need a little persuation. Good luck in your new-found endeavor.
Jon
For now it is coming along nicely with Ballistol (per Capt14k) and the Exacto. And while I don’t have a freezer large enough for it, I might at some point wait for a really cold night and leave it in the garage and see what happens.

But aesthetically it is much better than when I started so that is progress!

millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I have read this thread a few times, and completely understand your resolve on removing this bubba shit from your rifle. That said. Did you shoot it with the gunk?
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

millman wrote:I have read this thread a few times, and completely understand your resolve on removing this bubba shit from your rifle. That said. Did you shoot it with the gunk?
Haven’t shot it yet. May have the chance to do so Tuesday or Wednesday if the weather in Middle TN cooperates. Will report back, hopefully with better photos too.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

My 20/30 looks like it's seen every war of the early 20th century yet it will bullseye a fleas ass at 200 yards or more. The Finn's knew about bedding, you would have to search long to find anything they didn't know about accurizing a rifle. If the 28/30 had needed bedding they would have come up with a way to do it, they didn't, that tells you something right there.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

Still haven’t shot it...smoked brisket and entertaining the in laws today.

But here are a few outdoor photos...

millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

TnBuckeye wrote:Still haven’t shot it...smoked brisket and entertaining the in laws today.

I have found brisket hard to light.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Give it to me, I am an expert at cremating meat in the oven ( other foods too) I do it quite frequently.
Theodore Roosevelt
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

millman wrote:
TnBuckeye wrote:Still haven’t shot it...smoked brisket and entertaining the in laws today.

LOL!!!

But it is VERY easy to eat when prepared properly. At this point the entire house smells like it, which is not a bad thing!

millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

TnBuckeye wrote:
millman wrote:

LOL!!!

But it is VERY easy to eat when prepared properly. At this point the entire house smells like it, which is not a bad thing!

I agree. I have found only 2 places in KY that make it right.

C. S. Lewis
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

I have to make it myself to have decent brisket here in TN. I like pork bbq and all but there is nothing like nice smoked beef.