made up sniper? think so

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Ben Cartwright SASS

made up sniper? think so

Post by Ben Cartwright SASS »

I got this when I was visiting Florida about 11 or 12 years ago (gawd doesn't seem that long ago), they said it was a sniper and I paid $300 for it, I am pretty sure that the scope is a repro as it has flat topped screws I heard they are supposed to be round headed. The bolt has a serial number that matches the receiver but the receiver is 1939. The bolt appears to never have been modified.
I like it because it looks cool, but wonder about it.

Lotema

Re: made up sniper? think so

Post by Lotema »

There were no PU snipers in 1939 so for sure, not authentic. Many people have created fake snipers over the years and this certainly looks to be one of those. The font on the barrel shank seems odd to me but that could just be me, doesn't seem quite right.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Sorry, .... Fake.
Ben Cartwright SASS

That is what I thought, bought it as a shooter, and it does well, matches my Gibss 03A4 as a made up sniper, but this way I don't worry about beating on it.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

At what you have in it, you haven't taken a bath. You could probably sell, for what it is, for $400.00 today.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Ben Cartwright SASS

This rifle has a backstory, I went to Florida on vacation, I have a C&R, they are dangerous Saw it and bought it and had them ship it home for me to my house.
When I got home a couple days later I told the wife that I send a rifle off to be worked on and the gunsmith was sending back in a couple days.

When it came in I told her my gun that I already owned came back, she was none the wiser. Sort of like I will tell her I am going to sell a gun at a gunshow and take an empty case out of the house, so if I buy one I tell her it didn't sell when I bring it in.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Ben Cartwright SASS wrote:This rifle has a backstory, I went to Florida on vacation, I have a C&R, they are dangerous Saw it and bought it and had them ship it home for me to my house.
When I got home a couple days later I told the wife that I send a rifle off to be worked on and the gunsmith was sending back in a couple days.

When it came in I told her my gun that I already owned came back, she was none the wiser. Sort of like I will tell her I am going to sell a gun at a gunshow and take an empty case out of the house, so if I buy one I tell her it didn't sell when I bring it in.
Oh what a tangled web we weave,
When first we practise to deceive!
Sir Walter Scott
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Ben Cartwright SASS wrote:This rifle has a backstory, I went to Florida on vacation, I have a C&R, they are dangerous Saw it and bought it and had them ship it home for me to my house.

Yikes, so it has come to that. Been there done that myself :lol: Not a bad story. Maybe I'll use that one.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

A friend puts a length of 2x4 or whatever in a soft case when he goes to a show to "sell a rifle". If he buys one he swaps them out and says his rifle didn't sell. Lol
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Ben Cartwright SASS

I like the 2x4 idea, may use it!
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

;mywink;
My wife buys an expensive purse, I get to buy a rifle, and visa versa.

Or I start talking about buying a Swedish Mauser sniper, she says go ahead.

Partnership works the best!
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
Ben Cartwright SASS

The wife has an antique firetruck in the garage that we build specifically for it. She did allow we to take a 8x12 room under the eves with a door and no windows as a gunroom and I put a monitor alarm on it. A real man cave
Matt556

Post by Matt556 »

I know this is an old post, but that is a brilliant plan!
Ben Cartwright SASS

It has worked, the only drawback she likes to help me take things out to the car, I can't let her carry the case, although the 2x4 would work