Do I really need a 28 gauge?

Everything shotgun discussed here.
Sonny

Do I really need a 28 gauge?

Post by Sonny »

Well ofcourse I do,what a silly question. :lol:

Ok so here's the story..

A long long time ago when I was just a young whippersnapper living on our farm I would hunt our land and surrounding farms.Back then nobody bothered about getting permission and all that crap.We hunted other farmland and they would hunt our land,no biggie.If we seen the neighbour in one of our back fields we would just ask him if he was having any luck and wish him well.
Anyway,on this one farm I would always find 28 gauge hulls on the ground,paper ones back then.I'd pick them up and look at them and think "aint those cute little shells,I should get one of those.
Fast forward 50 plus years and that thought about getting a 28 gauge was still in my head.Well it was time to chit or get off the pot. :biggrin:

So I picked up a Remington 870 express in 28 gauge...woohoo my dream finally came true. :thumbsup:

Nothing fancy about a 870 express but darn it this little shottie just feels good in the hands.It has a 25 inch bbl with a mod. choke.It holds four shells but we have to plug them to three,it's the law around these parts.
I haven't shot it yet but I'm itchin' to go grouse hunting with it..Here's a few pics. 8-)

I should edit to say the three shells are 12-28-.410 but I'm sure you guys knew that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Do I really need a 28 gauge?

Post by millman »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

To hunt what? For rabbit, yes,. For waterfowl, pheasants, stick with the 12.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

steelbuttplate wrote:To hunt what? For rabbit, yes,. For waterfowl, pheasants, stick with the 12.
For chickens....aka....grouse. :D

For rabbits (snowshoe hares) I use a .22 and for waterfowl it's a 12 gauge 3 inch high speed steel. :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No 16? No 10? Nice 28 gauge, do you need it? I don't know, do you need a coat when leaving the house in February? Probably need at least one yet I bet you have two or three, so why not two or three shotguns? A friend of mine saw me paying over cash for a Mossberg bolt action 12 gauge a few years back. He asks what in hell I need that for, my answer -because I want one asshole. I will find a use for it one day.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:No 16? No 10? Nice 28 gauge, do you need it? I don't know, do you need a coat when leaving the house in February? Probably need at least one yet I bet you have two or three, so why not two or three shotguns? A friend of mine saw me paying over cash for a Mossberg bolt action 12 gauge a few years back. He asks what in hell I need that for, my answer -because I want one asshole. I will find a use for it one day.
lol best answer yet. "-because I want one asshole" :lol:

This is shot gun number 8 for me,have mostly 12 gauges in pump and semi auto,defender type and hunting type..
Plus a little .410 Mossberg pump which I like but will admit that it did let me down on a few birds.

Used to have a few bolts and one was a 16 gauge,Also had a couple 20 gauges years ago but sold them.

Hmmm...I might need another 20 gauge... :thumbsup:
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I have shot clays with a 28 just like yours, but about 30 years older. It is no 12, but it is much better than the .410.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

millman wrote:I have shot clays with a 28 just like yours, but about 30 years older. It is no 12, but it is much better than the .410.
Thank you Sir..This is the type of feedback I like to hear..

Mind you I also like...":because I want one asshole"..lol :lol:
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Because I want one? I thought the topic was Do I really need one. :lol: Well Hell yea, I want one too but I'm saving for another .38 S&W Victory. I want to go to West Penn. to this Springfield sporters place. They don't sell online but evidently, have gigantic piles of Milsurp rifles. I wonder if there hiring.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Sonny wrote:
millman wrote:I have shot clays with a 28 just like yours, but about 30 years older. It is no 12, but it is much better than the .410.

YES, get it!

So, you came here looking for an enabler? Which is like a fat kid asking a fat kid if he should buy more candy! You knew the answer before it was given to you, knowing damn well we'd all say yes.....LOL!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I recently bought a .16 gauge for no good reason. So yea, you need a .28 gauge.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

He's in Canada, I saw the bears they got up there, he needs a 2 bore
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Now that's my idea of bear medicine ! :twisted:
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

If you need a guy to help stop the energy from knocking you on your ass you might just rethink what you are about to do. I shot a .50 cal from a bench in a sitting position. I'm to old to stand in a free shooting position just because it looks cool to the other shooters watching my shoulder shatter with a smile on my face.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

ffuries wrote:
Sonny wrote:

YES, get it!

So, you came here looking for an enabler? Which is like a fat kid asking a fat kid if he should buy more candy! You knew the answer before it was given to you, knowing damn well we'd all say yes.....LOL!
Eactly..the more.."Yes you need one" I get the better.That way I can show the wife and say "Look honey all these guys say that I need one".. :lol:

btw..took it out for the first time today and it shot well but felt a little stiff in the extaction cycle..hmm.

Me thinks it needs more rounds down range to break it in. :vcool:
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

steelbuttplate wrote:Because I want one? I thought the topic was Do I really need one. :lol: Well Hell yea, I want one too but I'm saving for another .38 S&W Victory. I want to go to West Penn. to this Springfield sporters place. They don't sell online but evidently, have gigantic piles of Milsurp rifles. I wonder if there hiring.
(I am looking for my first Victory)
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Well I broke it's cherry. :lol:

Today was opening of chicken season but I was only able to get out for just over an hour.

Seen two got one and the other flew into the thick stuff and I wasn't going in after him.

Shoots good but you have to use some force to eject the empty hull.Hopefully it will smoothen out with more use. :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Good stuff. I recently got a .410 and had ammo sticker shock. How does that 28 price run vs 12-20?

C. S. Lewis
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

millman wrote:Good stuff. I recently got a .410 and had ammo sticker shock. How does that 28 price run vs 12-20?
It's a bit pricey from the smaller stores but if you shop the sales at Cabelas it's not bad at all.