What did I buy?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Zachm24

What did I buy?

Post by Zachm24 »

Hey all. Just purchased a mosin today for $150. Don't really know what it is. I have a 91/30 and an M44. But this one is different. I took the best pics my phone would allow. Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: What did I buy?

Post by Darryl »

Looks like a 1941 M38 Izhevsk Mosin carbine in a M38 stock that was captured by the Finns. (making it a little rare).

Worth a bit more then $150.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Damn you stole that thing, congrats on the purchase!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Zachm24

Post by Zachm24 »

Thanks guys. Glad to know the gamble was worth it. I figured most mosins in good working order and a clean bore/tight muzzle such as this one would be worth that.
Shelbygt500

Post by Shelbygt500 »

Dang.. Some guys have all the luck.. Great find

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Very nice find for $150. I'd be happy with it at twice the price.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
entropy

Post by entropy »

You got a good deal. My first Mosin was an M38.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
ma96782

Post by ma96782 »

Jeez.....and I've been searching for an M38 in my area too. Course at $150.....you stole it.

Aloha, Mark
Pahtu

Post by Pahtu »

These were imported IIRC sometime in the late 1950s, should have no import mark - SA Captured M38, paid 5 hundred something quite a few years ago for mine and that was widely regarded at the time....a bargain.

SA M38s, pretty rare find, these can be all matching as my example, but are also found mismatched. Back in the day, the Finns captured thousands of 91-30s, a small lot of M38s and very very few M44s. Good write up on them can be found http://www.mosinnagant.net

http://www.mosinnagant.net/FinlandArmsOther.asp

Good buy at 150.00
I do not always fire a rifle, but when I do....it is a Mosin I choose..... 8-)
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Would be worth north of $500 now. How far would be the question. $600 would not be unheard of. Maybe a touch higher??? Depends if you find the right person who wants it bad enough.

Dolk
lthilsdorf

Post by lthilsdorf »

Damn, an SA marked M38 for $150?! That's a sweet deal, even with the sanded stock! Looks to be in great shape. These Finn captured carbines are certainly difficult to find. I've only ever seen one in person at all of the local shows I go to in PA and NYS. Great find!
A Comprehensive Guide to the Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagant

Feel free to message me to contribute to my site!
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

lthilsdorf wrote:Damn, an SA marked M38 for $150?! That's a sweet deal, even with the sanded stock! Looks to be in great shape. These Finn captured carbines are certainly difficult to find. I've only ever seen one in person at all of the local shows I go to in PA and NYS. Great find!
Sanded? Sanded by who ..... the Finns? Not very good photos, but ......

PS: Finn captured means no Russian refurbished red shellac.

This is Martin08's

This is mine

Most of them are darker, but a lot of them are lighter. Also, the Finn may have done a little work on them after their version of WWII. So, sanded I doubt would really effect the price at all on something like this because, it is a good possibility it was done by the Finns.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Another case of somebody not knowing what they had, it happens. Wanna double your money ? :lol:. Seriously, last SA marked M-44 on GB went for $1,825.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

steelbuttplate wrote:last SA marked M-44 on GB went for $1,825.
Yes, that because it was a M44, not a M38. As rare as M38 Finn captures are, M44 Finn captures are hundreds of time even more rare. M38's (Finn captures) are all over the place in price. Depends on Matching "Original serial #'s, replacement wood, Year, and on and on. But they will generally go for over $500 and usually up to $1,000 (maybe).

Martin's has all the really great stuff on it. 1939, first series stock, all matching original numbers, hasn't been buggered. (It's in the showcase). I have it close "brother", but it has a second series stock on it.

Dolk
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Very well bought! Congratulations!!! :thumbsup:
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Well Bought at $150!! I would love to have an [SA] M38, and you just stumbled on that one. Enjoy it & if you ever want to part with it... :brolleyes:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

A '41 in a pre-war stock. Done by the Finn's? Looks like they didn't do two piece stocks on carbines, is that the norm? Also interesting it does not have the '41 stamp side of receiver.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Zachm24

Post by Zachm24 »

Thank for all the replies fellas. I really didn't have a clue it was that good of a deal. But I'm glad I took it. Need to get it to the range and see how accurate it is. I like the rear sight a lot more than the ones on my 91/30 and M44.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Zachm24 wrote:Thank for all the replies fellas. I really didn't have a clue it was that good of a deal. But I'm glad I took it. Need to get it to the range and see how accurate it is. I like the rear sight a lot more than the ones on my 91/30 and M44.
Yeah you made a lot of us jealous, I've yet to see or find one in the wild yet. Now you need to go buy a lottery ticket!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

steelbuttplate wrote:A '41 in a pre-war stock. Done by the Finn's? Looks like they didn't do two piece stocks on carbines, is that the norm? Also interesting it does not have the '41 stamp side of receiver.
OK, I don't buy the stock it is is as being a "per WWII" stock.

Almost all of the Finn captured 1941 M38's all have this same stock on them. What that tells me is this stock was being used till at least 1941 (by the Russians). I think I have 8 1941 Finn captures I have seen with this stock on it. I think JYD has one also. So in my opinion, that is the stock that came on it. That stock was being used by the Russians into 1941.

And No, the Finns did not usually replace Captured M38 stocks. And I have never seen a 2 piece stock on a Finn captured M38 Not that it has never happened).

On the "41" stamp. Not all Finn rifles marked with the SA stamp have a 41 on them. Most people think they put that on in 1941. Seeing this rifle was MADE in 1941, it had to be captured some time after that. So it may have missed the 41 stamping. Not all Finn captures have a SA mark, and a D mark, and a 41 mark. I've seen captured M91/30's with no SA mark, but clearly have a 41 and a D mark. That is not uncommon either.

Here is a Finn captured M38 with the Finn D mark only. That's not uncommon.

Dolk