1896 Izhevsk exdragoon, Soviet recapture?

"Special", rarer, and "hard to find" Mosins

For your browsing pleasure.
racerguy00

1896 Izhevsk exdragoon, Soviet recapture?

Post by racerguy00 »

This refurb was posted by ubersailer before and he was kind enough to offer it to me recently.

This one is pretty unusual and not only because of the date. It sports the small LTII in an oval stamp that is attributed to Germany on many sites and reference pages. Since that information was posted, more evidence. Has come to light that casts some doubt over the German connection.

The LT II stamp has been seen on mosins dates as late as 1920 which seems to rule out a German connection as that would be too late for Germany to.have captured them. All I have seen but this one also have a Finn connection. If it were Finn though one would think that there would be dates later than 1920 so marked.

Another option in my eyes is Poland. The Polish-Soviet war lasted late into 1920 and several thousand mosins were sold by Poland to Finland later. In any case the rifle appears to have been lost and then recaptured by the Soviets at a later time.

The rifle is still caked and grease and I haven't broken it down yet. It's Has the typical mix of refurb parts and sits in a hardwood stock with a laminate toe. I'm grateful to have been able to add it to my collection.

Discussion Section

Discussion Section
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.