Cap and Ball revolver???

If it fires black powder, it is discussed here.
Sonny

Cap and Ball revolver???

Post by Sonny »

Been looking at some Pietta black powder revolvers (online) and sure would love to get one but I think I should ask a few questions here first.

Which would you guys recommend a .36 or a .44?

Short barrel or long barrel?

Brass frame or steel?

The brass looks nice but is it as strong as the steel frame models? Like the looks of the 1851 Navy. :thumbsup:

Sooooo much to learn. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cap and Ball revolver???

Post by Longcolt44 »

Hard questions, they all blow white smoke. I have a .36 and several .44s. I find the 44s are easier to find supplies for, at least here. The steel frames are stronger but with the proper loads it makes no difference. JYD will come along and expand on this subject.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That only looks like a Navy Colt, that is Piettas own creation, the real Colt Navy was never made with a brass frame or available in .44, they were all.36. The good part is Pietta has been making that revolver over 50 years, it's the least expensive way to get into black powder revolvers and the one I highly recommend. After all you may not like BP revolver shooting so why spend big for one of the steel frame Colt Navy type revolvers as your first. If the brass Pietta .44 is available then start with that, keep your loads around 25-30 grains or the brass frame can shoot loose over time, and use a .454 ball. The .454 shaves a slightly larger ring as it goes into the chamber but it seals tighter so it's worth the extra rammer effort. As for the rest of the questions, start with the basic long barrel model, it's the least expensive, and as it comes only in .44 don't worry about the .36 for now. Cabelas here in the states runs sales on these with the full starter kit sometimes, I don't know if they can be imported into Canada.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The revolver in my signature picture is a Navy Colt, Model of 1861 by Uberti, it is a correct .36
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Thank you for the info JYD,it is much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Think I'll order the .44 in a brass frame and keep the loads on the lighter side.

btw.... do you use that butter bore stuff when you load?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No, I use wonder wads over the powder charge. It seals against chain fire and avoids the mess of that greasy crap all over the place
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_in ... ts_id=3561
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You can also stack wonder wads to fill up chamber volume when using reduced loads as you will be doing with 20-30 grains, the .44 chamber will hold 45 grains of FFFG. The rammer only has so much travel and you do not want to leave an air gap between powder and ball when dealing with black powder.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Jim has given you all the information you need now. All I can add is.....go buy it! You will never be sorry you got into Black Powder ..... ever.

I'm like Jim......that "bore butter" is the same as Crisco. Way too messy for me. And really, not as good as far as I'm concerned. Just make sure you use something. If you have ever had a "chainn fire" in one of those, you will not forget it! :chuckles: When you get the pistol, you will notice there is a way for the ball to escape on every chamber in the cylinder at any time. That's on purpose! The grease works, but so do the wads just as well without the mess.

Just like Jim recommended, buy a starter kit if you can.

Dolk
ksbanker

Post by ksbanker »

I've got a couple of those Pietta .44's. They are great fun! As Dolk said, go buy it!
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
~Sir Winston Churchill
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Order is placed. :D

And thanks again for all the geat info. :thumbsup:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Sonny did you get it from Cabelas? The Pietta's are on sale right now. 199.00 for a brass frame 44, 219.00 for a steel frame. I have a brass frame Remington 1858 replica made by Pietta in 1973. I really enjoy these. The short barrel revolvers are usually loaded with the cylinder removed and placed in a stand. I guess it depends how short. Good luck Sonny.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

This is the one I want. I love the round barrel and color case frame. http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting ... 705022.uts
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

bunkysdad wrote:Sonny did you get it from Cabelas? The Pietta's are on sale right now. 199.00 for a brass frame 44, 219.00 for a steel frame. I have a brass frame Remington 1858 replica made by Pietta in 1973. I really enjoy these. The short barrel revolvers are usually loaded with the cylinder removed and placed in a stand. I guess it depends how short. Good luck Sonny.
Our Cabelas didn't have any so I ordered it from Marstar..And yes I paid a bit more but then the Canuck buck is worth less that the US Greenback so it all works out. :thumbsup:

http://www.marstar.ca/dynamic/product.j ... ctid=76186
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

bunkysdad wrote:This is the one I want. I love the round barrel and color case frame. http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting ... 705022.uts
Nice pistol and nice price. :thumbsup:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I forget that you are in Canada. This will be nice with your other bp rifles you have.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I bought one of the kit revolvers from Service Merchandise back in the 70's and built it myself. I liked that as I was able to leave the stock oversize and slightly rough to better fit my hands.
Theodore Roosevelt
Genetically Swiss

Post by Genetically Swiss »

You have to clean them after firing. It is a must. The 1851 Navy in its original caliber of .36 is my all time favorite. Perfect balance and aesthetically perfect. I like the Remingon New Army also, very sturdy, great revolver. It was a .44.

GS
"He who shoots first laughs last."

-Lebed-
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

So my Pietta should be here on Wednesday. (day I go back up north for work) :b sad:

But I have another question.. What size caps would it use 10's or 11's? :vconfused:

I already ordered some .44 cal dia.454 balls and some wonder wads. :wink:

*edit*

Nevermind... google is my friend. :thumbsup: