1952 Polish M44---Worth it or not?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: 1952 Polish M44---Worth it or not?

Post by Darryl »

You are looking at a $350 plus rifle under normal conditions. However, it depends on that rod down the barrel. Should be able to get it out but???????? Usually a broke case in the chanber is not that bad to fix, but who knows.

But that is a good price for a Polish M44 if you can correct those problem. If you can't, not a bad price for a wall hanger I guess.
Mark AP

Post by Mark AP »

I'd buy it in a second for $150. I say go for it.
mproko

Post by mproko »

The stock and bolt are probably worth close to 150
mproko

Post by mproko »

And where do you keep finding these deals lol
miner49r

Post by miner49r »

I'd buy it for the challenge!
I got a 325 WSM that was a challenge but she kicks like a mule now... ImageImage

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Heck yea, buy it, you will brag about the price for years.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Yep, get it. You got a Russian M-44 to compare? I think the handguards are the same, get 'em on Liberty tree or e-bay :thumbsup:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Any ideas from the seller why the cartridge is stuck in the barrel? Not an everyday occurrence. Having a matching Polish M-44 would be a nice thing. I've found that with the non-pristine Poles we see all the time, that the bores are a little suspect. Too bad you can't get the cartridge out and then have a look down the bore. But, for $150, or maybe a bit lower, it's a pretty good risk.
Maine 20th

Post by Maine 20th »

Per the forum should go to Gun Smith. Will Remove barrel from
receiver and return to prior position. Is shell attached to bullet? Is primer "live"? God Bless America Pro Libertate Patria
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Get it now, the issues are something any gunsmith can correct if you can't figure out a way yourself. That is a price you will not likely see again on any M44 let alone a Polish one.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
miner49r

Post by miner49r »

[emoji106] [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Whenever I hear " whatever" associated with pending shipping cost at my expense I get nervous. Oversize box with mandatory hard case send next day UPS with packing fee $225. You have room to play with on the cost since your buying it right, but make sure the seller doesn't get carried away or use the shipping as a payday to make up for the low item price. I once had a guy bang me $75 to ship a 23 pound phonograph three states away. I didn't say a word, I bought the machine a good $100 under value due to a minor mechanical problem and there was a part in that machine I knew was worth $350 all by itself. In fact that part is right here in front of me now all shined up and rebuilt. In that case I knew what to expect going in, for you it's an uncharted mystery, if nothing else make sure he knows how to pack a firearm, never assume knowledge there.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

I had an M91 with the stuck cleaning rod, but in this case it was stuck in a bore slug. Or rather they got the bore slug stuck, took out the wood and tried the cleaning rod. Got that stuck and gave up. It took some time and massaging but I was able to get it clear. Zero damage to anything except the end of the cleaning rod where it had to be whacked.

I got some stuck cases on my M27 way back when I didn't know much about Mosins or chamber designations for M27's. Surplus steel case rounds were hard to extract (a sign I now know to stop what I'm doing) and one got completely stuck. I used a mallet and got the bolt open but it left the case behind. I ended up punching it out from the muzzle end.

Moral is, it you know how to use your hands, you should be able to fix that carbine pretty easily and have a nice shooter for cheap! Glad to hear you went for it!
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
hudson29

Post by hudson29 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I once had a guy bang me $75 to ship a 23 pound phonograph three states away. I didn't say a word, I bought the machine a good $100 under value due to a minor mechanical problem and there was a part in that machine I knew was worth $350 all by itself. In fact that part is right here in front of me now all shined up and rebuilt.
Are you also into windup record players? I have several of those and thousands of 78s to play on them. I even have a portable to carry in the back of the Model T . . .
Vintage Paul

A man with a watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

hudson29 wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:I once had a guy bang me $75 to ship a 23 pound phonograph three states away. I didn't say a word, I bought the machine a good $100 under value due to a minor mechanical problem and there was a part in that machine I knew was worth $350 all by itself. In fact that part is right here in front of me now all shined up and rebuilt.
Are you also into windup record players? I have several of those and thousands of 78s to play on them. I even have a portable to carry in the back of the Model T . . .
I collect and service Victrola and HMV phonographs among others. Been at it 30 years and have over 100 machines with a focus on portables. I carry a VV-35 portable in my Model T. Scores of the year so far, 1918 VV-VIII, two VV-VI 1916, 1917, VV-IV 1917 ( no horn slat model) Super rare French market oak case HMV-100 portable, two HMV 102's with the red rexine cover, another German Homocord compact portable, 1921 VV-50 with rare all brass body No4 reproducer inside. That was over the winter, except for the second red 102, that was today, I just got finished explaining to one of my UK contacts how such a machine could sell for $100 in the US when in the UK $450+ is the norm. They do love the red covers despite the fact every 102 of a particular year is the same inside. I also have horn machines, table and floor models, I don't know how many records, thousands for sure, and I am always buying more. At the moment I am working on the little 1917 IV, had it apart, cleaned, repacked the spring, rebuilt the reproducer, and took it all apart again after testing so I can clean up the case. I like to test the works before cleaning the case so any greasy fingerprints I leave will get cleaned up. If you need motor service on Victor machines, or reproducer rebuilds on Exhibition, Victrola No2, or No4 let me know. I stock parts for the three reproducers but I do not deal with Orthophonics ( see Walt Sommers in PA for them) I do not deal with riveted spring cans in the last generation of Victor orthophonic machines. I have done many VV-35's, and have five more waiting to be serviced, if that one you have isn't performing it's best then send it to me. Here is last weekends video of progress made on the 1918 VV-VIII ( 8th)
[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUK_ewrFVUU[/bbvideo]
Theodore Roosevelt
hudson29

Post by hudson29 »

You are in deeper than I am! I have a Victrola XVII & an Orthophonic 4-40 in great playing condition. I have a Credenza project that needs a motor board and other parts but have not messed with it in a decade or so.

Both my portables went TU and I didn't bother to load them into the Flivver this poast Saturday for the Model T Club picnic in the park. Its just as well as the new Stromberg OF carbie got sick and the car came home on the end of a hook.

Do you sell portables? I may be looking for a good solid performer . . .
Vintage Paul

A man with a watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.