1915 Brescia M91 Cavalry carbine and leather scabbard

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
lthilsdorf

1915 Brescia M91 Cavalry carbine and leather scabbard

Post by lthilsdorf »

I went to an auction today and missed out on the Arisaka I wanted to pick up, but found a few interesting World War I era carbines. They came out of a local estate which had alot of interesting pre-World War II era military surplus rifles. I also picked up a Steyr M95 carbine, which I posted in the appropriate forum.

This Carcano interested me because it looked to be near original issue and came with a leather scabbard for the rifle. The scabbard is in decent shape, though one strap has worn through and split. There are no visible markings on the scabbard that I can see.

The rifle itself is a 1915 dated Brescia. The bayonet housing seems to be the type that you pull out to extend the bayonet. Is the screw/wingnut combination correct or did someone later change that? It has the same patina and wear as the rest of the housing.

The stock is dated 1915 and matches the serial number of the rifle. The hand guard is missing unfortunately. I was surprised to find 2 cleaning rod pieces in the butt stock, but there are few proof marks on them and I don't know if they are correct for the rifle.

Unfortunatly they rifle has a major issue I didn't noticed until I got home and disassembled it. The bolt cocked in the rifle when I examined it, but when I got home I could not get it to correctly go back in. That's when I noticed the rear bridge of the receiver has a massive crack in it and has been bent to the right by some considerable force. So it would seem that this is relegated to display only.

I have $225 into the rifle, with the scabbard included. If it's fairly original, even with the damage, I'd feel happy with it.

Please share your thoughts. Thanks!

A Comprehensive Guide to the Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagant

Feel free to message me to contribute to my site!
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1915 Brescia M91 Cavalry carbine and leather scabbard

Post by Longcolt44 »

I like it. I have one also but mine is a 1940 Brescio. Mine does not have a latching mechanism on the bayonet like you show, my bayonet just swings out when pulled, it locks open.
Connors Carcanos 001.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
lthilsdorf

Post by lthilsdorf »

Thanks! It's too bad about the receiver damage on mine, because this looks to be mostly vintage World War I.

A bit of searching on the Carcano website http://www.il91.it revealed that this wingnut is some type of official modification, though it doesn't give a time frame on when it was made and at what level. Does anyone that owns the book have a bit more information on this variant?

http://www.il91.it/cannamoschettobis.html

A Comprehensive Guide to the Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagant

Feel free to message me to contribute to my site!
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

I'm afraid I can't help with the wing nut, but there is a guy over at Yesterday's Weapons forum that seems like an expert on all Italian firearms. He probably can.
http://www.yesterdaysweapons.com/phpBB3 ... m.php?f=25