1968 Albanian

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Greasemonkey

1968 Albanian

Post by Greasemonkey »

This is the latest, pretty much hot out of the car and I didn't even clean it yet, a 1968 Albanian I flushed out somewhat locally. I will gladly venture out of the hills to snipe one of these jewels, especially one thats priced nice..
It is one of the lower production years, the numbers vary, but all the estimates are only a several hundred produced that year. The stock in un-numbered, likely a replacement at some point, missing most of the finish from wear, no major dings, cracks or splits. The carrier and bolt, while correct for an Albanian, may have been serialized to a Chinese rifle at some point, as that is not an Albanian serial number, it's way to high and then the matching pair found their way back to an Albanian rifle. Mystery parts and funky numbers add to the joy of what you could find. Everything else is matching, it has pretty decent bluing and just a few small spots of inactive rust. The seller had the wonderfully grimy sling(it will stay that way), cleaning kit, oiler, a couple of loaded strippers with 4 boxes and some loose rounds of ammo thrown in with the deal.

I keep saying :D if you see one and want one, snag it.. ugly, matching, mismatched or not, they are and will keep getting harder and harder to acquire :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Mark AP

Re: 1968 Albanian

Post by Mark AP »

Very nice! Congrats!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

:thumbsup: Nice!
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Interesting Albanian, I snagged an all matching 1978 from the last and final bunch that came in back in 2012. It was estimated that only about 800 came in at that time.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Thanks. :thumbsup:
Longcolt44 wrote:Interesting Albanian, I snagged an all matching 1979 from the last and final bunch that came in back in 2012. It was estimated that only about 800 came in at that time.
This one near as I can tell was an older import based off the import stamp, its the very small and neat TG Knox Tn stamp, not the larger dot matrix style stamp, which supports what the seller said, he said he had had it for about 15 years. The first batch came in around 2000 or so.
Cj556

Post by Cj556 »

Nice
"Vertroue in God en die Mauser"
entropy

Post by entropy »

Nice find. They are getting harder to find. Last one I saw was one the other gunsmith that worked at the shop I did had, and he wasn't selling it.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

That is a nice rifle. I do not think that I have seen one in person. What would be a fair price if one surfaced?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Mark AP

Post by Mark AP »

$500/$900 depending on condition, year and matching or not. Is how I've been looking.
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Very nice Greasmonkey! :thumbsup: I would love to add an Albanian to my collection but I've never seen one here locally.
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Very nice. I need to travel where you do greasemonkey. Most of my buying is online and the few that fall in my lap locally.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

capt14k wrote:Very nice. I need to travel where you do greasemonkey. Most of my buying is online and the few that fall in my lap locally.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
:o Nooo, :lol: I prefer to snipe them somewhat locally.. juice up the 'ol Honda :oops: and go for a ride ..

I do the online thing too with my C&R, but paying 30-40 bucks in shipping gets old. Auctions, I only participate in a little local one..I got a decent SC 03a3 a while back for under 600...GB and the like, nope...prices of stuff there in my book, have gone stupid and outta wack, so much so, I'm glad I don't even have a GB account anymore, it's gone. Ok....wifey fixed that..after a Luger purchase years ago.. :chuckles:

Mark AP wrote:$500/$900 depending on condition, year and matching or not. Is how I've been looking.
This is correct.. however, one must beware of a fluff and buffed refinished one, they are out there, this can be a drastic price killer, for me, it would be a deal breaker. And the year of production can drive the price almost as much as a matching one, a rare unmatching year could sell for the same or even slightly more than a matching more common year. Different years had vastly different amounts of production.

Based on existing serial numbers and ranges found and tracked over the years.. this is a fairly close est. on production, not at all complete, so it's still a "work in progress", we are always looking for numbers, especially outside of these known serial ranges to help refine exact production
1967: 0701 to 0969, total of 268, likely total of 969.
1968: 1118 to 1492, total of 374, likely total of 523.
1969: 1915 to 4562, total of 2647, likely total of 3070.
1970: 4847 to 8577, total of 3730, likely total of 2694.
1971: 7735 to 10270, total of 2535, likely total of 3014.
1976: 0186 to 0288, total of 102, likely total of 288. Albania restarted the serial number at 0001 this year.
1977: 0286 to 0302, total of 16, likely total of 302.
1978: 0138 to 05046, total of 4908, likely total of 5046.
1979: ?? There were '79s built, we just don't have any S/Ns in our database.
Undated: 9 to 284, total of 275, likely total of 284. <--- these are always hotly debated..were they the first production, last production or '72-'75 oddball production(no rifles have been seen or even documented from those years).. one day we will find out.
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Congratulations! :thumbsup: That one looks nice!

I passed on a 1968 Albanian a couple of years ago. At the time an SKS was low on my list so I passed on it for various reasons. At this time I still don't own one. I figure I'll pick up a Yugo or Norinco sooner than later. It's the only Albanian I've ever seen out in the wild. I should have bought it as the price was cheap, but I wasn't in the market for one missing and mismatched parts.

Thread about it is here if anyone's interested in the details.
http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... 45&t=25305
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
krazy_horse

Post by krazy_horse »

Very nice, Very scarce in my local :P
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

:thumbsup: Fine and tough. You like to shoot against my Tula? :idea: Let's do an online 50 yd. group with your best SKS,everybody that wants to, then post your rifle and target, best two out of three 10 shot groups..........NO cheatin!
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"