Smelley Irish

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
willyj73

Smelley Irish

Post by willyj73 »

No, this isn't a knock on Irish people--I happen to be one. It's an MK1**** SMLE sent to Ireland.

Here's a decent 1904 dated MK1*** with the ER prefix--denoting it was sent to Ireland. I don't know the full background of these rifles, but I do like the early Enfield rifles and wanted one with some early features. I had bought a CR prefix not long before this rifle popped up on Rock Island Auction's site. So, I put a bid on this one, and ended up getting it for a decent price. The rifle was missing a magazine and extractor spring--both of which I was able to obtain. I added a leather WWII sling to the rifle and may replace it with a canvas sling. I still need the correct butt stock accessories, and may add a magazine cut-off just to have something close to what an original SMLE would have looked like (I would disclose this or get rid of the mag cut off if I ever sold the rifle). The rifle has the correct windage adjustable rear sight, the volley sights, and the correct magazing. The stock markings are faint, and the stock has an older style sling swivel (I'm not an Enfield expert, so I don't know if the original SMLE sling swivels were attached to the stock in this manner). I've owned the rifle for close to two years. Not sure if I'll fire this one--I still need to inspect and clean the chamber prior to shooting the rifle--the chamber area did have some rust. I do like the rough look on this one too. While a rifle with a nice stock is desirable, it seems that most of the Enfields that I've seen have been lightly sanded to "improve" the look. It is really hard to find one that hasn't been lightly sanded (as in sanded in the U.S.) or altered in some form.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by willyj73 on Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mosin Fanboy
willyj73

Re: Smelley Irish

Post by willyj73 »

Some more photos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mosin Fanboy
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

and the last photos
Mosin Fanboy
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
entropy

Post by entropy »

Thought there was a joke there somewhere- Y'know "Paddy. Paddy, the Prods are revolting!" "Well, Seamus , you're pretty repulsive yourself. "

You do mean the ER above the serial #, right? Bacause the ER below the crown stands for Edward VII. One year earlier and it would have been stamped VR.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
willyj73

Re: RE: Re: Smelley Irish

Post by willyj73 »

entropy wrote:Thought there was a joke there somewhere- Y'know "Paddy. Paddy, the Prods are revolting!" "Well, Seamus , you're pretty repulsive yourself. "

You do mean the ER above the serial #, right? Bacause the ER below the crown stands for Edward VII. One year earlier and it would have been stamped VR.
Yes, the "ER" prefix to the serial number. From what little I've read, the "ER" prefixed rifles retained most of the MK1 features, while the "CR" prefixed rifles were updated with a lot of the MKIII features.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Mosin Fanboy
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Cool :vcool: as a snocone turd. Are those glass balls on the rear sight adjustment? And yes Bubby would start with some heavy grit sandpaper, and thank God no. Is the purpose of the cutoff for firing grenades? :thumbsup:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
mwt

Post by mwt »

steelbuttplate wrote:Cool :vcool: as a snocone turd. Are those glass balls on the rear sight adjustment? And yes Bubby would start with some heavy grit sandpaper, and thank God no. Is the purpose of the cutoff for firing grenades? :thumbsup:
Cutoff was so budget conscious generals reared on black powder single shots could sleep at night not worrying about soldiers wasting all their ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

Right, the cut off was there due to fear of the soldiers wasting ammo. 1903's and Krags have mag cut offs as well (and 03a3's). The inserts in the rear slider are referred to as bone, but I don't know if they are.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Mosin Fanboy
Cj556

Post by Cj556 »

Nice
"Vertroue in God en die Mauser"
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

The "decorations" on the sight are/were ivory. You will notice how crazed with age they are. It is very rare to see these.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!